Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Research Study for Athletes: Your participation is needed. Please. [Joannazeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Answered. My only trouble was in answering the questions about what's considered doping. The questions were posed as if my estimation of what doping should be defined as matters in terms of personal use as an athlete.

But what WADA defines as doping seems more relevant to athlete use. I could see a separate questions asking how I think WADA should handle medical and recreational use of THC. But as of today, THC levels on race day above a threshold *is* defined as doping, regardless of personal belief.
Quote Reply
Re: Research Study for Athletes: Your participation is needed. Please. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand how that question can have several interpretations. A general issue with close-ended questions is that you are forced to make a choice, and it may not entirely reflect what you want to answer. In this particular instance, the answer may even be different in competition and out of competition. This study is aiming for more general knowledge and attitudes about cannabis and the results will help direct future research. Thanks for your comment, I appreciate the feedback.
Quote Reply
Re: Research Study for Athletes: Your participation is needed. Please. [Joannazeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would be nice to have an Unsure answer for the question of if Cannabis use is helping with pain. Sometimes I feel like CBD helps and other times I feel like it doesn't, and I'm sure my lack of consistency impacts that. From some articles I've read, finding the right dose can be tricky, and sometimes it's even a sweet spot, where too low a dose doesn't work, and too high also doesn't work.
Quote Reply
Re: Research Study for Athletes: Your participation is needed. Please. [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I, too, have trouble figuring out that dosing sweet spot. It's one of the biggest problems, I think, right now with cannabis use for pain -- there are no standards for dosing. It is trial and error, and even then days are different. I liken it to nutrition during long races. Some days you nail the nutrition and some days you are running to porta-potty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you using CBD only? If so, Isolate or Full Spectrum? What ingestion method are you using? So far I've been using tincture, but I'm considering other methods.
Quote Reply
Re: Research Study for Athletes: Your participation is needed. Please. [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a whole variety of products. I do use CBD only (Charlotte's Web, you can order online) mostly in oil. I also use a spray and gummy. I find each product is useful for different pain and symptoms (I have a long history of chronic pain and muscle spasms). I also use products with THC. You can message me if you want more info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know a lot of you are watching Kona today. During your viewing, if you have not taken the survey, please take a few minutes to do. Tim Don and Craig Alexander recently announced their affiliation with Ikor, a CBD company tailored toward athletes. This shows just how much cannabis use among athletes is growing. This survey is to help understand these trends.

Your participation is greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good morning! I am reviving this thread with the hopes of enticing a few more of you to participate. Our goal is 1,000 athletes, and we have 870. If you have not filled out the survey, please take 5-8 minutes and do so, and please share the link with your friends. When I am able, I will post results and answer questions. Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
done

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done

Funny, I know really nothing about Marijuana...

Recently, I saw that Tim Don talked about the use of some cannabinoid (not sure of the name) for pain treatment following his Kona crash and "halo" period.

Pain treatment being of interest in endurance sport, as I heard some use regularly Paracetamol, Tramadol, ... not only for specific pain, but just to keep with training schedule and increase performance, kind of make sense the cannabis enter into the picture also.

Will be happy to see the results.
Quote Reply
Re: Research Study for Athletes: Your participation is needed. Please. [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious about your IRB, do you work for a University?

Also just being a little skeptical about the look / feel of the "Peace" survey, is there cannibis industry sponsorship, involvement, or other preemptive interest in the survey?

I took it but it seemed to be leading someone who is mostly neutral (I dont use, have not paid attention to it, but I also dont care if anyone else wants to) toward raising awareness of cannibis which did not really seem like a neutral survey. Just curious on some background.
Last edited by: endosch2: Nov 20, 18 7:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done!!
Quote Reply
Re: Research Study for Athletes: Your participation is needed. Please. [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
Curious about your IRB, do you work for a University?

Also just being a little skeptical about the look / feel of the "Peace" survey, is there cannibis industry sponsorship, involvement, or other interest in the survey?

I took it but it seemed to be leading someone who is mostly neutral (I dont use, have not paid attention to it, but I also dont care if anyone else wants to) toward raising awareness of cannibis which did not really seem like a neutral survey. Just curious on some background.

X2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
done
Quote Reply
Re: Research Study for Athletes: Your participation is needed. Please. [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am part of an independent group of researchers who have an interest in the medicinal possibilities of cannabis. I used a commercial IRB to get approval for my study. I have used them in the past.

This is a self-funded study, therefore we do not have a current industry sponsor.

The survey was not meant to raise awareness about cannabis; we are merely trying to answer some questions that have been raised by athletes, researchers, and those in the cannabis space. These questions are: what percentage of athletes are using cannabis, what are the attitudes and knowledge about cannabis among athletes, and for those who are using cannabis -- why, how, and does it work for pain? We tried to be impartial in our questions, many of which came from previously established questionnaires and some were carefully constructed by our group. Thanks for your feedback, we appreciate comments! And, thanks for your participation.
Quote Reply
Re: Research Study for Athletes: Your participation is needed. Please. [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tim Don is working with a company that manufactures CBD products. CBD has been anecdotally used to help with pain and inflammation. More research will need to be done (including this study) to better understand the role of CBD in pain, recovery, and sleep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done
Quote Reply

Prev Next