Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What Tubular should i buy for Kona [fb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fb wrote:
mike s wrote:
CO2 doesn’t hold long in latex

Are you sure about this?

Yes. This is why you carry butyl for a spare.
Quote Reply
Re: What Tubular should i buy for Kona [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrlobber wrote:
Rocky M wrote:
Specialized Turbo Cotton All-Around.

There isn't such a tub available, unless you meant Turbo Cotton Hell Of The North tubular, which is available as 28mm only, thus, probably won't fit OP's triathlon bike anyway.

I'd personally also recommend Vittoria Corsa G+ setup. You might try Veloflex Extreme front / Carbon rear, but since hardly any recent rolling resistance data available on them, Vittoria is a safer bet unless you've tested Veloflex yourself.

Don't use Zipp SLS Speed in front, aerodynamically it's a disaster (although it's quite hard to find a tub which isn't; a property of their construction).

Nope, there is. You have to order them through your Specialized dealership--they are not online & are currently on sale. I just ordered 2 tubulars & picked them up Friday. They are Turbo Cotton All Around MOUNTAIN tubulars if you want the 22-23 mm ones. It is the same tire, just narrower. Don't let the "Mountain" fool you that it would be a climbing only tire. It's the same tire, same tread, just skinnier.
Latex tubes in it. Retail price is $99.99 but I think they are $79.99 right now. I forget what the total was because I bought a few other things like goggles at the the store as well.
Last edited by: Rocky M: Sep 25, 18 17:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fb wrote:
mike s wrote:

Are you sure about this?

In that case. What's the mechanism that causes this?

CO2 is a bigger molecule than N2, which is the main component of air.

https://www.velonews.com/...d-short-frames_87175
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fb wrote:
mike s wrote:

Are you sure about this?

In that case. What's the mechanism that causes this?

CO2 is a bigger molecule than N2, which is the main component of air.

Yup my Corsa Speeds used to deflate about 2.5psi/hour. No big deal, but if you rack your bike at 5am, on the bike at 8am (IMWA) off at 1pm, that's as much as 20psi.
Quote Reply
Re: What Tubular should i buy for Kona [Eco-reno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eco-reno wrote:
decadave wrote:
Is this a "look at me I'm off to Kona" threads?

really? someone who has KQ doesn't know their setup 2/3 weeks before race day??

I poncture my 3 Tubular in Cairns and i have race vittoria once since then but i dont trust them and yes before every big race Im freaking out and whant to change everything Events if i know is not good

Yeah I flatted in Cairns within 5km, last time I raced on Corsa Speeds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mrlobber wrote:
Rocky M wrote:
Specialized Turbo Cotton All-Around.

There isn't such a tub available, unless you meant Turbo Cotton Hell Of The North tubular, which is available as 28mm only, thus, probably won't fit OP's triathlon bike anyway.

I'd personally also recommend Vittoria Corsa G+ setup. You might try Veloflex Extreme front / Carbon rear, but since hardly any recent rolling resistance data available on them, Vittoria is a safer bet unless you've tested Veloflex yourself.

Don't use Zipp SLS Speed in front, aerodynamically it's a disaster (although it's quite hard to find a tub which isn't; a property of their construction).

Do you have more insight on the aerodynamic properties? What’s the impact? When combined with which wheel its disaster?

—
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get GP 4000S

When in doubt just use them! I used Schwable Ones At kona and they were good, but the got a flat 100km later in my next race, and I have read some other reviews on them since with puncture issues. Im pack on GPs now.
Quote Reply
Re: What Tubular should i buy for Kona [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:

Nope, there is. You have to order them through your Specialized dealership--they are not online & are currently on sale. I just ordered 2 tubulars & picked them up Friday. They are Turbo Cotton All Around MOUNTAIN tubulars if you want the 22-23 mm ones. It is the same tire, just narrower. Don't let the "Mountain" fool you that it would be a climbing only tire. It's the same tire, same tread, just skinnier.
Latex tubes in it. Retail price is $99.99 but I think they are $79.99 right now. I forget what the total was because I bought a few other things like goggles at the the store as well.

WOW, tell me more. If there are Turbo Cotton tubs 22mm wide, I'm all over them! :o

Edit: but no information on such a tub version available anywhere, is this some inside Specialized project, not released publicly yet?
Can you post a pic of them, please?

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Last edited by: mrlobber: Sep 26, 18 2:25
Quote Reply
Re: What Tubular should i buy for Kona [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

This tire tested very fast

sworks turbo allaround 2 tubular 24mm[/quote]
Do you have any test results to share?
Crr tests or aero?

—
Quote Reply
Re: What Tubular should i buy for Kona [JanneK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JanneK wrote:

marcag wrote:
tire tested very fast

sworks turbo allaround 2 tubular 24mm

Do you have any test results to share?
Crr tests or aero?

One of the world tour teams tested the schwalbe against the sworks and there was a .0015 difference in rolling resistance.
It was so apparent that they brought the tires to an independent lab that confirmed the numbers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mrlobber wrote:
Rocky M wrote:

WOW, tell me more. If there are Turbo Cotton tubs 22mm wide, I'm all over them! :o

Edit: but no information on such a tub version available anywhere, is this some inside Specialized project, not released publicly yet?
Can you post a pic of them, please?

Not sure this is the one you wanted

Quote Reply
Re: What Tubular should i buy for Kona [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the 24mm version, he was talking about 22 or 23mm (and I'd imagine, with transparent sidewalls if "Turbo Cotton" in the name)

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any other public Crr data than following http://www.biketechreview.com/...ire_testing_rev9.pdf
—
https://docs.google.com/...aHhIeGZuTjZYa3M/edit
—-
http://www.biketechreview.com/...AFM_tire_testing.pdf
—
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...a-speed-tubular-2017
—-
Based on those for tyre that is ~23-25mm. The best would be zipp tangete if one doesnt want to take risk with vittoria corsa speeds...

Btw. I have heard contradicting opinions about use of glue. One source who has done tests claimed less glue is faster from CRR pov. Tape is worst...

—
Quote Reply

Prev Next