Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

low T - after a race?
Quote | Reply
I did a walk in to a clinic for bloodtest as it was the only one open on weekend, and it was near one of my XC run races. A hard 10k + 4 mi which I did bike to/from (20 miles), and barely ate after (3 small tacos). That being said, did I skew my blood test results?

disappointing numbers free = 9.4 (range 35-155) ; Total = 58 (range 250-1000). I dont have troubles performing in the bed so I wonder if the activities before made it low.

Other markers normal, except I did get flags for Epstein-Barr virus infection (suggestion of past infection)

reason for the test is my run times have been slowing down past 2 years
Last edited by: synthetic: Sep 22, 18 15:14
Quote Reply
Re: low T - after a race? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Girlfriend who is an NP says that’s low and maybe something else is going on. She said exercise should increase T levels. I would tell your primary care doc to investigate.
Quote Reply
Re: low T - after a race? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
Girlfriend who is an NP says that’s low and maybe something else is going on. She said exercise should increase T levels. I would tell your primary care doc to investigate.

Endurance-type exercise decreases T levels - "At rest testosterone appears to be lower in the endurance-trained male than in the untrained male."

Also it can fluctuate pretty wildly throughout the day, so a single test may be an aberration.

However, the primary care advice is always sound....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But tell us more about how awesome your keto diet is.....
Quote Reply
Re: low T - after a race? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She's wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: low T - after a race? [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Acute exercise does in fact tend to increase testosterone concentration slightly, in part (or entirely) due to hemoconcentration.

Chronic training, OTOH, can suppress testosterone levels.
Quote Reply
Re: low T - after a race? [Derekl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Derekl wrote:

im low carb, not keto. thanks for trolling
Quote Reply
Re: low T - after a race? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coggan is absolutely right about this. Lots of data.

Andy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Derekl wrote:

Regardless, it's doing wonders for your health. You're welcome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Derekl wrote:

im low carb, not keto.

Regardless, synthetic is correct: your low testosterone levels may be due in part (or in whole) to inadequate carbohydrate intake.
Quote Reply
Re: low T - after a race? [Derekl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Derekl wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Derekl wrote:

you are quick to blame the diet factor when nothing there has changed for the past 10+ years. you are avoiding the question of a hard effort suppressing T levels. Now I know a few body builder folk who like to drink heavily the night before a blood test, so in their morning T levels are low and they can get a script. I dont want to be medicated

i have been blamed for over training and not taking a break. i did try a good effort to reduce my volume this year

Also seems andrew coggan is finally providing a decent effort at helping, maybe he shouldnt be flagged as auto post ignored anymore?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have historical data suggesting declining T or persistently low T since a change in diet or training?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Derekl wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Derekl wrote:

you are quick to blame the diet factor when nothing there has changed for the past 10+ years. you are avoiding the question of a hard effort suppressing T levels. Now I know a few body builder folk who like to drink heavily the night before a blood test, so in their morning T levels are low and they can get a script. I dont want to be medicated

i have been blamed for over training and not taking a break. i did try a good effort to reduce my volume this year

Also seems andrew coggan is finally providing a decent effort at helping, maybe he shouldnt be flagged as auto post ignored anymore?

I'm not blaming anything. I'm laughing because you interject your nutritional nonsense into threads and can't connect the dots here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
I did a walk in to a clinic for bloodtest as it was the only one open on weekend, and it was near one of my XC run races. A hard 10k + 4 mi which I did bike to/from (20 miles), and barely ate after (3 small tacos). That being said, did I skew my blood test results?

disappointing numbers free = 9.4 (range 35-155) ; Total = 58 (range 250-1000). I dont have troubles performing in the bed so I wonder if the activities before made it low.

Other markers normal, except I did get flags for Epstein-Barr virus infection (suggestion of past infection)

reason for the test is my run times have been slowing down past 2 years

Extended exercise/training will lower your T level. Assuming there is not disease process going on, when you rest/recover for a time it should go back up to a normal range.
Quote Reply