Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Helmet for olympic distance tri
Quote | Reply
Most of the conversations about helmets appear to be in the context of IM or HIM. I'm curious if there are any unique considerations for the Oly distance; characteristics that become either less or more important with the shorter, higher output race. Also, if you can think of any specific makes/models that represent these characteristics, please list. Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet for olympic distance tri [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I own an aero helmet. Therefore anytime I need to be aero, I'll wear the aero helmet. Same goes for my disc wheel. Sprint, Oly, half, full. Takes no extra time so why not, right? The only thing that would make me think otherwise is weather related.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet for olympic distance tri [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsmith82 wrote:
I own an aero helmet. Therefore anytime I need to be aero, I'll wear the aero helmet. Same goes for my disc wheel. Sprint, Oly, half, full. Takes no extra time so why not, right? The only thing that would make me think otherwise is weather related.

Yeah, I couldn't really think of anything that would invalidate helmet recommendations from IM to Oly, but wanted to ask just in case I was missing something.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might consider a less ventilated helmet or helmet configuration for an Oly than a longer race. Possibly a less comfortable helmet in other ways (weight? Idk).

If you’re asking whether to buy an aero helmet if you’re only doing Oly’s, well, as I suspect you know there will be a benefit (albeit less total time than in a longer race) but is it worth your money? That’s up to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
Most of the conversations about helmets appear to be in the context of IM or HIM. I'm curious if there are any unique considerations for the Oly distance; characteristics that become either less or more important with the shorter, higher output race. Also, if you can think of any specific makes/models that represent these characteristics, please list. Thanks!

I like the aerohead
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet for olympic distance tri [michaer27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michaer27 wrote:
You might consider a less ventilated helmet or helmet configuration for an Oly than a longer race. Possibly a less comfortable helmet in other ways (weight? Idk).

If you’re asking whether to buy an aero helmet if you’re only doing Oly’s, well, as I suspect you know there will be a benefit (albeit less total time than in a longer race) but is it worth your money? That’s up to you.

My default priority is aerodynamics. I was just curious if there's something consequential, like ventilation as you mentioned, that I'm not thinking about.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:

There's going to be a difference of 3 to 4 mph between an Oly and an IM. I don't see a need for a different helmet based on the speed.

There isn't much of a difference in cooling between different aero helmets. I've used vented and non vented helmets, they're all warmer than road helmets. If you can tolerate one helmet you can tolerate a different one with slightly less cooling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
michaer27 wrote:

My default priority is aerodynamics. I was just curious if there's something consequential, like ventilation as you mentioned, that I'm not thinking about.

Personally I would not use my aerohead for anything longer than Olympic if it is going to be hot

I’ve got a other aero helmet I would use

To me the aerohead is much hotter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
jsmith82 wrote:

Yeah, I couldn't really think of anything that would invalidate helmet recommendations from IM to Oly, but wanted to ask just in case I was missing something.

In regards to the weather, and where that comes in to play for me. I have 2 helmets, the Giro Air Attack and the Giro Aerohead. The Aerohead is my helmet of choice with the full wrap around shield however I've ran into situations with misty days and humidity fogging the lens up so bad I couldn't see out of it. So I'll opt to either go without the shield or use the air attack which has much more room under its smaller shield and can handle the elements (with humidity) much better.

Point is, **** humidity. ;)

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply