Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: George Bush should point at, and make fun of the press. [hasbeenswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you sure about this?

Okay, I found this from our paper, not on-line. The article was written by Allen G. Breed of the AP, and I'll quote what I read..

..."Manchin (Governor) had been in the church praying with the families when the unidentified man made the announcement (that all 12 are alive). He looked around at his troopers and communications people in puzzlement.

"Have we confirmed that?" he asked. No, was the reply.

Manchin told the families that he was going back over to the mine to get more information.

Wanda Groves, the mother of trapped miner Jerry Groves, was walking beside Manchin when she stumbled. As the Governor helped the struggling woman regain her footing, Darlene Groves, the woman's daughter-in-law, touched the sleeve of the governor's leather jacket and asked him:"Are all 12 men alive?"

Darlene Groves said the governor turned to her and said quietly, "Yes."

Manchin would say later he got "caught up in the euphoria." But what was supposed to have been a personal exchange was overheard, and a private word of encouragement suddenly took the shape of official confirmation from the highest level of state government....

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Re: George Bush should point at, and make fun of the press. [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wanda Groves, the mother of trapped miner Jerry Groves, was walking beside Manchin when she stumbled. As the Governor helped the struggling woman regain her footing, Darlene Groves, the woman's daughter-in-law, touched the sleeve of the governor's leather jacket and asked him:"Are all 12 men alive?"

Darlene Groves said the governor turned to her and said quietly, "Yes."

Manchin would say later he got "caught up in the euphoria." But what was supposed to have been a personal exchange was overheard, and a private word of encouragement suddenly took the shape of official confirmation from the highest level of state government....

Well the good Gov managed to leave this part of the story out of his interview on TV, how convenient of him.

Thanks for the clairification.

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
Re: George Bush should point at, and make fun of the press. [hasbeenswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well the good Gov managed to leave this part of the story out of his interview on TV, how convenient of him.

I have been waiting to see what comes of this. I hope it doesn't turn into a he said/she said but it appeared from the article that his words were overheard so it should prove interesting.

I hate to put any blame on him because he was probably as hopeful as anyone and to have this come back to him would be unfortunate. The article I read was very long and detailed and it just pointed to an overall lack of communication without trying to implicate anyone. The writer did a very fair job and he was bending over trying to stay neutral and avoid putting blame on anyone.

I feel badly for the Governor but the identity of the person who made the announcement that they were alive in the first place has not yet, to my knowledge, been revealed. It appears however, that the real miscommunication came from the rescuers wearing gas masks and their response was misquoted. I don't think there was ever any indication of purposefully misleading anyone.

The other thing that should have been handled better was allowing the people to celebrate the news for over 2 hours, knowing that the outcome was not confirmed.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Re: George Bush should point at, and make fun of the press. [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It appears however, that the real miscommunication came from the rescuers wearing gas masks and their response was misquoted. I don't think there was ever any indication of purposefully misleading anyone.

I suspected this all along. I have been in many situations where I was wearing a simpe HEPA mask and had a hard time communicating becasue of the mask and background noise. I can't imagine doing the same in a full SCBA mask.

The other thing that should have been handled better was allowing the people to celebrate the news for over 2 hours, knowing that the outcome was not confirmed.

Yup that was a big mistake, huge on the people who really knew.

With regard to the Media in general getting it wrong, it just seems it happens far to often these days.

As evidence we have the

Katrina 10,000 dead

Katrina - murders in the convention center and super dome

Dan Rather forged documents

2004 Elections exit polling all going huge to Kerry

2000 Elections calling Florida for Gore

And on and on

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Do you think your views on Muslims is balanced?"

Yes -:)

because I think (in fact I know first hand) most Muslims are not bad. In fact the cultures many belong to make them naturally very aphable and welcoming people, it's just that they are under a negative influence from their religion. Is recognizing existing facts for what they are and things happening around us everyday re-affirming these acts considered extreme?

Same if I said Christians tend to be influenced to become religious direct salemen and women or that it's ridiculous for a celebate Catholic priest to give marital advice.

If you have a white painted wall in your house and on seeing it I commented that it was white. Is that extreme or just a fact?

If these things qualify as really extreme, since they are fact then you have called my bluff and won.

Happy and Prosperous New Year ahead!
Last edited by: kangaroo: Jan 5, 06 19:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rather never forged a thing.

Fox News, 9/5/05:
"In New Orleans, Nagin upticked his estimate of the probable death toll in his city from merely thousands, telling NBC's "Today" show, 'It wouldn't be unreasonable to have 10,000.'" The Feds sent in something like 25,000 body bags.

Not everything can be known with precision the instant it is happening. Contray to the ability many people here seem to have.
Quote Reply
Re: George Bush should point at, and make fun of the press. [trifolk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never said Rather forged anything, but he gladly and knowingly aired the forged info.

If you want to defend the media coverage of Katrina have at it. It was filled with speculation and little fact checking

Quote Reply

Prev Next