Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any pipe smokers in the house?
Quote | Reply
I received a pipe as a freebie. It's nice quality. I love cigars, so, I figured that would translate into a love of pipe smoking. So, I bought some quality Davidoff Scotch Blend pipe tobacco and set out last night to enjoy my first smoke.

It was awful. I did a decent job packing the pipe and got a good burn. But, the tobacco was almost sickly sweet and left a sweetness aftertaste that was not good. Plus, holding the pipe with my teeth was uncomfortable.

So, what gives? Am I just not a pipe guy or did I choose the wrong tobacco? Do you hold the pipe the entire time it is in your mouth?

What am I doing wrong?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Any pipe smokers in the house? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You aren't hipster enough to smoke a pipe. Learn how to ride a unicycle first and grow a handlebar mustache.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: Sep 20, 18 12:42
Quote Reply
Re: Any pipe smokers in the house? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
You aren't hipster enough to smoke a pipe. Learn how to ride a unicycle first.

Well, shit, I know that, which is why I have never considered buying a pipe. But, having one given to me, I figured I would give it a shot. I was positive I would really enjoy it. It was awful. I had to have done something wrong. Perhaps wrong tobacco.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You weren't wearing a kilt.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Haven't smoked mine much recently but have smoked one on and off since college 11 years ago. If you didn't like the taste then try a different tobacco. There are tons of variations, flavors, textures, etc. of pipe tobacco. Best thing to do is go to a smoke shop that does their own custom blends and find something you like.

Yeah, I generally hold the bowl while I am smoking it. I smoke a Churchwarden style pipe so holding it in my teeth would not work. But even with a more standard style pipe I always hold the bowl.

From what I have been told by the local smoke shop owner, the quality of a pipe smoke has a lot to do with the quality of the pipe. A cheap pipe will burn really hot and make for a lousy smoke, a good pipe will be much more pleasant to smoke. My pipe is not top of the line by any means, but it smokes much better than the cheaper stuff I had back in college.
Quote Reply
Re: Any pipe smokers in the house? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
You weren't wearing a kilt.

I could. Would that help?

Three of my four grandparents are either first or second generation Irish, so, it wouldn't be cultural appropriation, so long as I wore the proper type of kilt.

Quote Reply
Re: Any pipe smokers in the house? [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll try another tobacco. I think I got a good burn. Being a cigar smoker, I am familiar with the bitterness one can get with an uneven burn and/or a "dead spot" in the tobacco. I was pleasantly surprised by the mouthful of smoke I got with each draw. It is just that the smoke tasted sickly sweet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
I'll try another tobacco. I think I got a good burn. Being a cigar smoker, I am familiar with the bitterness one can get with an uneven burn and/or a "dead spot" in the tobacco. I was pleasantly surprised by the mouthful of smoke I got with each draw. It is just that the smoke tasted sickly sweet.

If you are a huge cigar fan then you might find most pipe tobaccos to be much more sweet. Doesn't mean you won't be able to find one you like, but overall a pipe tobacco is generally going to be sweeter than a cigar. I confess I don't know much about cigars, have smoked a few that I liked, but have also bought some real turds that I couldn't imagine anyone enjoying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My dad smoked a pipe a lot when I was young. He never held it in his teeth. Always held the bowl.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well shit. I love the smell of pipe tobacco and have thought about taking it up in my declining years if I can bring myself to ignore the health risks.
Quote Reply
Re: Any pipe smokers in the house? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Well shit. I love the smell of pipe tobacco and have thought about taking it up in my declining years if I can bring myself to ignore the health risks.

I love the smell of it as well, which is why I thought I would love smoking it! I'll give another tobacco a try, but, first try was awful.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a pipe with a much thicker shaft.

I think you’ll like the feel of it a lot more in your mouth
Quote Reply
Re: Any pipe smokers in the house? [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
Get a pipe with a much thicker shaft.

I think you’ll like the feel of it a lot more in your mouth

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried another tobacco - a Connecticut dark blend. Awful. I had to smoke a cigar to get the taste out of my mouth. It is settled - I am not a pipe guy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
I had to smoke a cigar to get the taste out of my mouth.

You know it's bad when cigar after taste is preferable. As much as I enjoy a cigar, I can't have one without brushing my teeth ten times and showering afterwards. Love the taste and experience... Hate the after taste.

Wifie and I just got up to tofino for our annual anniversary trip. Brought up some Camacho sticks, a cuaba, partagas p2, and El Ray del Mundo, along with a bottle of eagle rare bourbon. Should be a good week!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Any pipe smokers in the house? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
JSA wrote:
I had to smoke a cigar to get the taste out of my mouth.

You know it's bad when cigar after taste is preferable. As much as I enjoy a cigar, I can't have one without brushing my teeth ten times and showering afterwards. Love the taste and experience... Hate the after taste.

Wifie and I just got up to tofino for our annual anniversary trip. Brought up some Camacho sticks, a cuaba, partagas p2, and El Ray del Mundo, along with a bottle of eagle rare bourbon. Should be a good week!

That's doing it right! Nice haul!

I hear what you are saying about the after taste. I have to shower and spend a bit more time with the toothbrush before bed when it is cigar night.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Interesting. I am just about the opposite. I like the taste and smell of the pipe and as long as it doesn't burn too hot there isn't much aftertaste to deal with. With cigars the aftertaste kills it for me, feel like I am going to deal with it for the next 24-48 hours.

One of my favorites back in college was Clove cigarettes so maybe I just prefer the sweeter stuff.

I do need to educate myself on cigars a bit better, I have enjoyed a few, but overall my experience hasn't been good enough to make me want to smoke cigars. What is a good beginner cigar for a guy who likes pipe smoke?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A-A-Ron wrote:

I do need to educate myself on cigars a bit better, I have enjoyed a few, but overall my experience hasn't been good enough to make me want to smoke cigars. What is a good beginner cigar for a guy who likes pipe smoke?

My absolute favorite is Diamond Crown. Very, very smooth with a hint of a sweet wrapper. Expensive, but, worth it. I like the #1, but, the #3 and #4 are great.

https://www.cigarsinternational.com/...ars/1410255/#p-19463

The Macanudo Cafe Gigante is a slightly cheaper option that is just as smooth and nearly as good.

https://www.cigarsinternational.com/...rs/1411588/#p-204224

Quote Reply