Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

6Gap Century
Quote | Reply
Any other slowtwitchers riding the 6Gap Century in north GA next weekend? I'll be there for the first time. I'm expecting to go through a lot of highs and lows throughout the day. ;)

Any 6Gap veterans want to share some advice for how to approach the day?
Quote Reply
Re: 6Gap Century [WVTRIMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm on the fence, so we'll see. I've done it before and it's a great ride for sure. The last long descent is super fun. Just don't blow out your legs too early because there's a lot of climbing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try to start at the front if you are a decent rider. I did it for the first time last year and it took a little while for things to spread out. Probably 15-20 miles. The first 10 rolled but was steep and bikes were probably 3-5 wide. On the downhills it seemed some would coast on the downhills then on the uphill they would be in their big ring and not be able to shift out quick enough and swerve and cause or come close to causing a crash.
Quote Reply
Re: 6Gap Century [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gtjojo189 wrote:
Try to start at the front if you are a decent rider. I did it for the first time last year and it took a little while for things to spread out. Probably 15-20 miles. The first 10 rolled but was steep and bikes were probably 3-5 wide. On the downhills it seemed some would coast on the downhills then on the uphill they would be in their big ring and not be able to shift out quick enough and swerve and cause or come close to causing a crash.

Thanks for that tip. I hadn't really thought much about where to start in the pack. I do recall seeing photos of the start and there being a sea of riders (2,500 or so?). I'm a decent rider (ambitiously shooting for around 6-hrs). It would probably be smart to try to get some room around me before the first big descent to try and stay out of trouble.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll be there, last year was my first time. Like the others said, just get comfortable with the long climbs. To me it clears up pretty quick once you get out on the road, leaving the school can be a cluster if your not towards the front half of the field.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing special. Make sure you have extra headroom in your gearing. Add about 90 minutes to your typical century time. Do not ride carbon clincher wheels. Make sure you have solid brakes for the descents.

Enjoy. It is an epic ride. Drink the pickle juice at the top of each hill.
Quote Reply