Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to manage my devices in my first full?
Quote | Reply
Bike check-in is the day before. I assume I put my Edge520 on my bike in the morning when I add bottles, rather than keep it in my T1 bike bag during the swim?

I wear my 920xt on the swim. I was going to wear my HRM strap on the swim, then snap on the base (not water proof) in T1 so I have HR on the bike and run.

Should I just bring my 920xt with me on the bike and keep it on my wrist so I have it for the run? I never really biked with it on my wrist... I assume it is not an issue. Or if it does bother me, do I move it to my jersey pocket as long as I do not forget to get it back out for the run?

Does this make sense?

Thanks for your time

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: How to manage my devices in my first full? [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
I was going to wear my HRM strap on the swim, then snap on the base (not water proof) in T1 so I have HR on the bike and run.

Does your HRM actually have a leak that you know of? All the ones i know of *should* be waterproof at least as they come out of the factory. The only reason they say not to wash them is because Euro washing machines typically use very hot water (if you use hot for your sports gear, which is not recommended anyway) and the dryer cycle can also expose the strap to temperatures in excess of 60 degrees C, which is too high for the battery, in addition to the potential for mechanical damage.

I've worn HRMs through all kinds of swimming, rain, and other soak-fests with no ill effect on the sensor module.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sound pretty good. I wear my HR in the swim under my suit as well as my watch (735). I record the swim with my watch then turn the swim feature off for the bike ride. I have my Garmin 520 turned on ahead of the swim on my bike (but turn bluetooth off). Near the end of the bike I put my watch into run mode so it's ready headed out of T2.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes- put the 520 on the bike in the morning when you put bottles on and pump up the tires.

What HRM strap are you using that's not waterproof? Any of the newer Garmin chest straps that work with the 520 and 920 will be waterproof. Get one of those so you don't have to waste time in T1 snapping the base on.

You'll get different opinions on wearing the watch throughout the race. I wear mine throughout the whole race, mostly so it will record data for the whole race. I don't look at the watch while on the bike (I'm looking at my 1030) but I do use the 935 during the run (with Stryd footpod). Post-race, I can download one device (935) and have data for the entire race. YMMV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maximize garmin edge 520 battery life

maximize garmin 920xt battery life

yes. just bring in edge 520 when you add your bottles

you could wear your 920xt or just put it in your t2 bag with your sneakers. make sure you turn it and edge on day before to make sure they connect to gps satellites. I could be wrong but I thought the first time in a new location they may take longer to pick up but after that it's pretty quick.
Quote Reply
Re: How to manage my devices in my first full? [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for the detailed advice.

I use the Garmin HRM-Run (most likely the newest model of it). I just assumed HRM-Tri was waterprood and HRM-Run was not. I do use the HRM-Run bare-chested in heavy downpours, but I never actually submerged it underwater.

From reading here, it sounds like it is fully waterproof and I can wear it on the swim, cutting out the need to snap it on in T1.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen enough threads on here (and elsewhere) of people having their Garmins swiped from their bikes in transition to put mine in my transition bags both before and afterwards.

No doubt it's a very rare occurrence but it'd ruin my race and my day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does this make sense?

The only thing I've ever raced with is my Timex Ironman watch.
Quote Reply
Re: How to manage my devices in my first full? [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
I've seen enough threads on here (and elsewhere) of people having their Garmins swiped from their bikes in transition to put mine in my transition bags both before and afterwards.

The ELEMNT Bolt has a nifty little screw to firmly attach the unit to the mount - otherwise i'd be too paranoid to leave mine on the bike.

Apart from that, I will pre-gps-sync my Bolt on the bike before the race and it'll be there waiting for after the swim. I use my Fenix3 for the swim, click it over to bike when i come out of the water (as i can't be arsed to fanny about with T1 & T2 times and it's too much clicking to worry about while i'm running in and out of Transition trying to keep my head together) and then just use it for its handy 15 minute alarm buzz feature to remind me to eat, but otherwise generally ignore it on the bike. Then i click it over to Run when i leave T2.

Later i'll upload it all to Strava (otherwise it didn't happen!) and delete the Fenix Bike section and use the data from the Bolt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
Bike check-in is the day before. I assume I put my Edge520 on my bike in the morning when I add bottles, rather than keep it in my T1 bike bag during the swim?

Yes. Set it to auto-pause, and start the bike activity before you go to swim start. That way you won't have to push any buttons when you start the bike. Make sure it is paired to any other devices (power meter, HR strap) before you go.

bluestacks867 wrote:
Should I just bring my 920xt with me on the bike and keep it on my wrist so I have it for the run? I never really biked with it on my wrist... I assume it is not an issue. Or if it does bother me, do I move it to my jersey pocket as long as I do not forget to get it back out for the run?

I keep mine on my wrist and it has never bothered me. It's also a backup data recorder for the bike that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
Thank you all for the detailed advice.

I use the Garmin HRM-Run (most likely the newest model of it). I just assumed HRM-Tri was waterprood and HRM-Run was not. I do use the HRM-Run bare-chested in heavy downpours, but I never actually submerged it underwater.

From reading here, it sounds like it is fully waterproof and I can wear it on the swim, cutting out the need to snap it on in T1.

The difference between the Tri and Run HRMs is that the Tri will record your HR during swim and the Run cannot. Both are waterproof though. I swim with my Garming HRM-Run under my suit with no issues. Wacth picks up my HR as soon as I stop the swim function.
Quote Reply
Re: How to manage my devices in my first full? [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frankly, I like the lower profile of the old-skool $20 hard-strap Garmin HRM under a tri-suit/tri-top.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would leave everything in the hotel.
Quote Reply
Re: How to manage my devices in my first full? [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
squid wrote:
Does this make sense?

Too much high tech variation in a digital watch. I only ever use my sun dial. Much more reliable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d ask what the battery capacity (time) is on the 920. Then, what’s your estimated time on course.

I never worry about leaving my 510 on the bike. I also don’t worry about the time it takes to turn it on (you’ve been through an IM transition, right?).

Of all the things to sweat about, someone stealing my gear would be way down on that list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the quick release on the 920xt and have the xlab versa 200 with the twist mount for the watch on the bike. Unless you feel the need to have the extra functions or back up for the bike just use the watch for it all. As mentioned in other posts, you may want to turn off alarms and pacing for the run to make sure you have enough battery.
Quote Reply
Re: How to manage my devices in my first full? [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:

There is a little slotted hole and a string lanyard that you can attach. I'm sure a strong tug would break that cable. If you are paranoid, you could put a zip tie through it.

The point is not to make yours impossible to steal, but harder than the one 5 feet away.
Quote Reply
Re: How to manage my devices in my first full? [Scurracane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only ever use my sun dial.

Sun dial?! Man are you lucky! Why, back when I started triathlon........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Bicycle-Mount-Kit/dp/B000VK5BMQ

I'll roll the entire race with just my 920. Comes with on the swim, when I board the bike I move it from my wrist to this holster which is zip tied to the computer holder of my BTA setup, when I leave the bike it goes back to my wrist. Simple. I stare at power and HR on the bike so 4 screens is plenty for me.

I think you have a solid plan on the HRM. Wear the strap, pop it on in T1.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There have been races I have not biked with my watch on my wrist and there have been racing I have forgot to put my watch on / take it out of t2 with me. Now I bike with my watch on and accept the small aero penalty.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: How to manage my devices in my first full? [Scurracane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scurracane wrote:
squid wrote:
Does this make sense?

Too much high tech variation in a digital watch. I only ever use my sun dial. Much more reliable.

No need for a sun dial. The only thing you need to know when doing an IM is if you finish when it's dark, you're a loser. That's why you should try to do your IM as close to the summer solstice as possible.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: How to manage my devices in my first full? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:

Aha, caught you right there!

Clearly you have hands on experience with the use of a sun dial!

No, I relied on info from Stonehenge.
Quote Reply
Re: How to manage my devices in my first full? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The sun dial method in Kona is important. Finish before the sun goes down, it is way more fun that way. Trust me on that one.
Quote Reply
Re: How to manage my devices in my first full? [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wear your HRM throughout as others have mentioned. Run your watch on Tri mode, include transitions. It really is intuitive and I've never forgot to press a button. That way, your data is taken care of without fishing for your head unit out of your bag. I just leave mine on bike, never heard of anyone having one nicked personally. Run your head unit by all means but you don't need it for any data after, just use the watch.

Sounds to me like you want to make the process as un-complicated as possible and in doing so making it way more complicated than needs be.
Quote Reply