Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tell me what your IM run training looks like...
Quote | Reply
Thinking of changing things up. Assuming an adequate run base is already in place what does your IM run training look like? # of Runs/week , length/time of the runs, what type of runs do you include eg. speed, intervals, hill repeats, LSD etc. what is you max. time or distance for your long run.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me what your IM run training looks like... [yikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mon: 6mi recovery run (stupid slow)
Wed: 10mi (intervals)
Thurs: 4mi brick run (HIM or IMRP pace)
Sat: 4-6mi brick run (HIM or IMRP pace)
Sun: LSD (up to 16) or Intervals (10-12mi)

I typically have a really hard run every 10 days (Wed or Sat). Longest I run is 15-16 miles (1:50-2:00). I do two "hell days" a year (AM Track Session, PM 'tempo') that total 18-20 miles on the day.
Mileage: I tend to hit 35 miles per week throughout the year and then up to 40mi/wk for a month, then 45-50mi/wk during my last 3 week block.

NOTE: I bonk at mile 15 almost every single Ironman, so take it with a grain of salt but running sub-3:30 is what I consider a horrible run and running is my worst discipline. #backdoorbrag
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me what your IM run training looks like... [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. How Many weeks are your blocks and do you dial it back every 4th week? How long is the taper after that 50 mi block?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do a lot less than the former poster, at least what intensity is concerned. One has to understand too, that running a marathon in an IM is more like a jog actually.

I try every week 3 runs, but succeed sometimes only doing two.

Off-Season typical week:
Mo 90 minutes slow
Fr 60 minutes slow with two faster miles in between
Su 50 minutes slow.

(with slow I mean 5:30 per km = 8:52 per mile).

End of Buildphase typical week:
Mo 2:45 slow
Th 60 minutes brick run with first 20 minutes 4:50 pace, rest slow
Sa 40 minutes brick run with first 10 minutes as fast as I can.

I do some only-run races up to HM.
I'm 57 years old , 82 kg and am often in my agegroup, at least in triathlon, the fastest runner.
My IM marathon I do mostly in 5:00 per km, which results in 3:35.
I just did an open HM in 1:31.

Again, I think only just jogging is already good training, speed training does not necessarily give you more speed in a race (but injuries).
Biking is another thing, here you need intervals, biking slowly a lot does not make you fast.

At least, it works like that for me...
Last edited by: longtrousers: Sep 19, 18 23:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I try to hit 70 km weeks coming into a A-race. I'm a crappy runner by nature and have to work decently hard to improve. My best IM run is 3:28 ( :( ) and my best HIM is 1:31.

Mondays: Leg rest
Tuesdays: ~18-20km quality run - goal is just to improve fitness. Usually something like 3x2k at 10k-pace and 6km at open mary pace, with warmups, jog rest, cool down.
Wednesdays: Potential brick of 3-8k, depending on how smashed I am from ~3h bike.
Thursdays: 1-2x10k easy run
Fridays: 8-15k brick
Saturdays: Just bike
Friday: 25-33k with 10-20k at IM goal pace

Lowest possible with this is ~60km and highest is almost 100k, which I never do. If I hit a few of the workouts at the highest range I scale down coming workouts.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 Runs a week following the Run Less Run Faster Program (Book)

-Sprint workout
-Tempo run
-Long run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on your goals. Are you just trying to finish or KQ?

In general, you just need to run more. This will get most 90% of the way there. Run more frequently (6-7 days a week) to increase volume.

Have you looked at the BarryP plan?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't consider myself a fast IM runner but I guess at my weight I would be considered fast 187-192lbs. My fastest IM is 3:30 on a hilly IM run course and fastest HIM is 1:30 on a hilly HIM run course. Most triathletes think there is some magical formula that will make you fast but you just need to run a lot and frequently. I will throw in some speed every once in a while but it's not every week or strides. The most I'll do is some 400s at 10k or HMP with long recoveries. I try to run 40+mpw consistently throughout the year except on down weeks or a break from training. My biggest weeks are 60mpw leading into an IM. I'll run anywhere from 7:30-9 min pace depending on how I feel when I'm running. I don't force the pace. My body will tell me how fast to run that day. Sure I could do tempo sessions and track sessions and I would probably be a little faster but I've been getting faster each year by being consistent so why change it and risk injury and go backwards.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me what your IM run training looks like... [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what the last posters said ... just running more/more frequently.

I've followed the BarryP plan and only do easy/LSD runs going on 8 years now (3 short, 2 middle, 1 long run). I save the "fast" stuff for race days. It's been all about muscular endurance/base and no real emphasis speed work. Each year my IM run gets a little faster. FOP athlete and finally qualified for Kona with this approach. The run was the missing piece holding me back. It's simple, repeatable and keeps me relatively injury free and doesn't impair with my other workouts trying to recover from a harder (speed related) run.

This means 6-8 runs a week on 6 days for me most times. For my middle distance runs, I split the run into 2 runs (morning/ late afternoon) so if I'm not feeling it, I can scale back (sometimes bail) on the second run but still guarantee I got a run in the am. It also provides a little recovery. I'll also do an elliptical session or pool run if I'm feeling a little beat down for my short days. As I get later into my training, usually the 1 middle runs gets cut so I'm doing a 4-1-1 pattern versus a 3-2-1 pattern.
Quote Reply