Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Computrainer load generator lock up?
Quote | Reply
My old reliable CT seems to be having trouble. Worked fine yesterday, today the load generator seems locked up. Finally broke it loose from totally locked in place, but still has a lot of friction spinning the flywheel by hand. (unplugged)

Anyone dealt with this? I'm about to crack it open and have a look inside.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer load generator lock up? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The internal disc and related parts near it are "likely" the issue. Had mine for 14 years without a known issue, before it went south. You might have to decide to move on to something newer, find a used CT for sale or try to fix something without any product support.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer load generator lock up? [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cracked it open (after having to drill out a few bolts) and poked around a bit. Seems that the plate, although eyeball inspection is still flat, is slightly bowed when put on a flat surface. I suppose it's hitting the magnets?

Timing is interesting though... the day before was only a light recovery (high cadence) spin. I always ride with a fan pointed at the load generator. I do standing starts on it (nothing over 1200w) but those are very short efforts, not what commonly overheats the unit.
Guess I'll try to have a replacement plate cut before I trash it.

CT Insides!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are there scratches visible on the plate and magnets? If it's warped and rubbing, it should be pretty obvious. The other thing to look at would be the bearings.

I haven't seen a unit fail, but those are the only things I can imagine causing it to 'lock up'.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had to re-center my plate in the past. I've never seen a "flat" plate, they're always bent a little. But that may be because I only look at them once I have them apart to re-center them. I would try and flatten the plate with any reasonable means possible, re-center it between the magnets, and put it back together. Has always worked for me when the plate has begun to rub the magnets. I've had to do it 2-3 times on a couple units over the 20+ years I've used Computrainers.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer load generator lock up? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Are there scratches visible on the plate and magnets? If it's warped and rubbing, it should be pretty obvious. The other thing to look at would be the bearings.

I haven't seen a unit fail, but those are the only things I can imagine causing it to 'lock up'.

I will check closer when I get home this evening. Some marks on it, but I didn't notice actual scratches.

Bearings seem smooth. It all seems to spin pretty freely (connected and disconnected) until a wheel is put on the roller, then it very noticeably stiffens the resistance. (Beyond what little press on force is put to it) - again being plugged up doesn't seem to matter.

Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer load generator lock up? [ironmanatee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmanatee wrote:
I've had to re-center my plate in the past. I've never seen a "flat" plate, they're always bent a little. But that may be because I only look at them once I have them apart to re-center them. I would try and flatten the plate with any reasonable means possible, re-center it between the magnets, and put it back together. Has always worked for me when the plate has begun to rub the magnets. I've had to do it 2-3 times on a couple units over the 20+ years I've used Computrainers.

Thanks!

I'm going to clean everything (some built up dust/etc) and put everything back together. Any tips to re-center properly? It doesn't seem to allow for very much room to adjust, everything seemed bolted down pretty tight.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No tips really, just trial and error. Haven't had to redo mine in some time.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply