Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [MikeyC-anada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikeyC-anada wrote:
What makes you think he won't have his own flat support? He has a rear carrier which I would imagine carries his gear. All I was getting at was that he has been / still is a successful athlete and pays attention to the details! He also races to win as most pros should... I'm not advocating to rely solely on race support, but in Kona, as a pro, just giv'er and go for the W!!!

IMTX 2017
https://twitter.com/...815593764806656?s=21

https://twitter.com/...815930307379201?s=21

https://twitter.com/...816309040349185?s=21

https://twitter.com/...132070648799232?s=21

And I believe ther was one other race where he flatted and waited on race support but I can’t find it.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With all due respect to Joe as an athlete he's not into details. I've seen him searching for breakfast 2 hours prior to a race, not knowing the swim course, not considering a swimskin when it's his weakest discipline by far and not carrying spares. However he is very determined, learning all the time and a dark horse for a top 10.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HAHAHAHA oh wow do I stand corrected - OK then!

and MrPG - I appreciate the insight. I don't know him, I'm only trying to deduct from what I see...

I also don't have"the Twitter" so I obviously didn't have all the facts / details. Thanks to you both

I still want that Endura D2Z tri-suit to be available though...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You must have deep pockets! I saw the Cervélo tri suit, made by endura & it was like $500+. Even the guy in the shop said the suit was basically made for pro use, as they only last for a few uses and are very prone to tearing.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [MrPG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's basically the UK's Lionel Sanders.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:

Yes, this.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for that line. The next time someone mentions my lack of intelligence I'm just going to respond that I have prowess!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming he's running a 25c rear tire, a 60t front, and 11/28 rear...

In his 60x11, he would be riding about 43mph at a cadence of 100.
In his 60x28, he would be riding about 10mph at a cadence of 60.

Do I think it is wise/necessary? Not really. But, I also get that pro athletes will take risks if they think the reward is big enough. If he's thinking that he can ride away from his group after the turnaround with a 60t, then I guess he feels like it is an acceptable risk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MikeyC-anada wrote:
I think Joe is a very strong athlete and i have always admired his attention to detail on the Aero side of things - he is definitely NOT stupid.

I am surprised that with all the keen eyes on this thread though - no one noticed the new Endura trisuit? looks like a short sleeve version of the Encapsulator TT suit and its not the Road version, you can tell by the silicone chevrons... I want to know when THAT is available!!!

That suit isn't "new", it has been around since as far back as April 2017. That is the first time I noticed it, Tim Don wore at the 70.3 in China. I believe Rachel Joyce was also wearing it in 2017.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The famous twitter thread where Joe showed his IQ........And I got blocked by him.

His argument of having neutral support was ridiculous. Not sure what his plan was for the first 40+ miles (can't remember when he caught the group, but it was a while into the race) where he was chasing. What he claimed, if memory serves correct is that they had "promised" neutral support for the lead group, which he never in his wildest dreams would have been in, until later in the race. So for someone like him to go without any of his own support is ridiculous. Even for someone that has every intention of being in the lead pack on the swim/bike it is still super risky.

And in EVERY pro meeting I have attended it is always said that neutral support will be available, however, you are still responsible for your own mechanicals. Case and point what happened at IMTX '17, someone flatted just before Joe and neutral support was assisting them, rather than him.

Joe obviously is a super strong athlete, but at the end of the day the strongest athlete doesn't always win, majority of the time it is a mix of smarts & strength..........And every once in a while that pure strength will win.

As for that helmet, I would hope D2Z/Endura cleans that up for him, can't see him showing up to Kona wearing it like that, especially if D2Z is actually supporting/sponsoring him, wouldn't think he would want that duct tape job with his name on it.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
As for that helmet, I would hope D2Z/Endura cleans that up for him, can't see him showing up to Kona wearing it like that, especially if D2Z is actually supporting/sponsoring him, wouldn't think he would want that duct tape job with his name on it.

You mean like Tyler Butterfield's P5??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOGLLm1WHa4

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does D2Z support Tyler, I don't think they do? But yeah, Tyler seems to always be tinkering with his bike and you can always spot some form of duct tape on it.....

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. I was referring to Cervelo and Tyler. I would doubt any bike mfg would want a sponsored athlete doing anything like what Tyler did to his bike. Perhaps this was one of the reasons why he is no longer with cervelo.

But back to Joe.... I'd have to look at the rules but Alex A made the comment that the helmet in the photo would not be legal. Should be interesting to see if he shows up with that helmet in kona.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that last twit bothers me so much. Not just because he called her "Charisse" which I am fairly sure isn't a top option in auto-correct. She had everything with her and f*ed up the Co2 valve. He could at least watch the Kona shows to know that and how to spell her name.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

But back to Joe.... I'd have to look at the rules but Alex A made the comment that the helmet in the photo would not be legal. Should be interesting to see if he shows up with that helmet in kona.

5.02(Equipment) (b) (iii)- An alteration to any part of the helmet, including the chin strap, or the omission of any part of the helmet, is prohibited; (DSQ)

5.03 (Bike) (b)- Fairings are prohibited. Any device added or blended into the structure that may decrease, or that has the effect of decreasing, resistance to air penetration, or that may artificially accelerate propulsion, such as a protective screen, fuselage form fairing or the like, is prohibited; (DSQ)

http://eu.ironman.com/~/media/12e2dd63861a413fb3ec8066db0e7e29/2018%20%20ironman%20competition%20rules%20%20%20pro%20final.pdf

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:

LOL.

I was thinking this but dared not say as such as he does turn out for the odd TT in Norfolk/Suffolk which I've done.

No doubt he's a great biker and runner, has had some great results but lacks consistency.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [moonmonkey02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
moonmonkey02 wrote:
No doubt he's a great biker and runner, has had some great results but lacks consistency.

His 140.6 results this year have been 2, 2, 1, 2. Hardly lacking consistency.

I used to train with Joe a bit way back when and he is a genuinely nice guy. Not sure what he's done to incur the wrath of ST!
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have heard this from many people, that he is a nice guy. But such is life that not everyone is going to like everyone, and this is also ST, we are all very opinionated, right? I for one know there are people that don't like me or care for my personality, such is life.

I, like many others (I believe) here on ST beat our heads against the desk at the decisions he makes, because with how much talent he has he could be doing better, with better/smarter decisions, just my 2 cents. But I think that is why there is the "wrath of ST", because of his decisions, and the way he handles criticism. Someone above had mentioned how he struggled to get a bike deal for so long, probably a few factors, but I don't think the main one was the bike industry being in decline, pretty sure it was more than that............

And the topic of his bad decisions, thinking Lake Tahoe was a "great" training destination in February/March time frame.........Think that was 2017 he did that.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
@BW_Tri wrote:

You mean like Tyler Butterfield's P5??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOGLLm1WHa4

This is comical. If I were Cervelo I would have dropped him on the spot.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Starting from 11 + 11 gears is 21 is the smallest gear cassette you would have not a 19.
Maybe he pedals so hard that he wears out multiple cogs during the race, so he needs an 11-11-12-12-12-13-14-15-16-17-19 cassette.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
r0bh wrote:
moonmonkey02 wrote:

I used to train with Joe a bit way back when and he is a genuinely nice guy. Not sure what he's done to incur the wrath of ST!

Are you including Roth? Because the earlier poster said 2nd at Roth. He was 4th. Aside from beating 2-3 more well known names in Hamburg and roth, they certainly weren't deep fields.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair point, it was the year before he was 2nd at Roth wasn't it. Still not a bad set of results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skipper was 2nd at Roth 2016 . . . behind Frodo, and ahead of some pretty fast guys. He is also a very nice guy.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Sep 20, 18 12:13
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
r0bh wrote:
moonmonkey02 wrote:

Are you including Roth? Because the earlier poster said 2nd at Roth. He was 4th. Aside from beating 2-3 more well known names in Hamburg and roth, they certainly weren't deep fields.

I'm sure he finished just outside the top ten in Kona 3 or 4 years ago but since then has produced a few decent results but not against top competition.

No doubt the guy has an engine but probably hasn't made the progress he could have.

When Boardman dropped their triathletes en mass he was without a bike for some time until he hooked up recently with Ribble: hopefully he's getting some good advice from Drag2zero.

Be good to see an East Anglian do well in Kona!
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed Skipper is a nice guy and has a big engine. He isn't a contender though. That doesn't take away from him being a decent bloke.
Quote Reply

Prev Next