Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

More Fortnite
Quote | Reply
Kids on the game can be wicked annoying and obnoxious so I feel this guy's pain but he probably took it a wee bit too far.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/police-man-threatens-to-shoot-child-after-losing-video-game/ar-BBNw5Y9?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=iehp
Quote Reply
Re: More Fortnite [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a bit confused. They had been playing together for a while, so why were they playing against each other. Normally you play on the same team as "friends."
Maybe they were in Playground mode?

Still, jeez dude... it's just a game.

Here's a better story about an adult playing Fortnite with a kid. Pretty entertaining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz4ueg8fKws

Skip to 9:00 in the video.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fortnite is truly the crack cocaine of video games. My teenager and all his friends would sell their kidneys to play an extra hour per day.
My wife and I hide the PS4 controller after 9pm so they don't try to play at night or in morning before school.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: More Fortnite [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too funny. I have to not only place a curfew on my kids, but on myself. But I confess I have breached my self-imposed 9.30pm curfew on many occasions. (Ok, most days.)
Quote Reply
Re: More Fortnite [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since I play squads with random people I get to hear a bunch of kids. I don't have a mic so I can't talk to them. It's actually kind of depressing. Way too many of them are just little assholes. Lord of the Flies type stuff. With multiple ones, they start off with a pissing contest to determine who is better, then as the game proceeds they are usually just insulting one another. Every kid talks like he's a bad ass and most of them are mediocre at best. It's actually refreshing when you here one that seems like a decent person.

The other thing that I find incredibly annoying is how many of the presumably suburban (probably white) kids affect a gang banger type persona. It's so obvious and painful to listen to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know you can turn them off. I never speak or listen to others I dont know.

What I find interesting is when you can pick up some personality of people through their game play. Some people will notice you could use some shield and drop you some. Or give you a good gun if they have extra. While others are just assholes. I Once played duos with someone who wouldn't drive the ATV when we were both in it. When I stepped off finally, he drove off by himself and clearly wanted nothing to do with me. Why play duos then? Weird.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
The other thing that I find incredibly annoying is how many of the presumably suburban (probably white) kids affect a gang banger type persona. It's so obvious and painful to listen to.

This weekend my son was on with a squad and sure enough, one of the 'thugs' was talking tuff. I don't remember the exact words, but he was was basically telling everyone on the squad what to do and if they didn't : "Yo, ni99a, I'm gonna bust a cap in you, motha-fukka!' etc. The accent and intonation was pure Compton. But then we heard his mom come into the room and start scolding him in Cantonese about not having done his homework yet (my wife speaks Chinese and I have picked up bits and pieces).

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:

What I find interesting is when you can pick up some personality of people through their game play. Some people will notice you could use some shield and drop you some. Or give you a good gun if they have extra. While others are just assholes. I Once played duos with someone who wouldn't drive the ATV when we were both in it. When I stepped off finally, he drove off by himself and clearly wanted nothing to do with me. Why play duos then? Weird.

Yeah, I've had the thought that it would be some sort of good personalty test for screening employees, vetting cops, etc.

You can definitely often pickup whose a decent person vs. an asshole fairly easily, whether that would relate to real life or not I don't know. I think it would to some extent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear there making a Fortnite-Zwift game
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

This weekend my son was on with a squad and sure enough, one of the 'thugs' was talking tuff. I don't remember the exact words, but he was was basically telling everyone on the squad what to do and if they didn't : "Yo, ni99a, I'm gonna bust a cap in you, motha-fukka!' etc. The accent and intonation was pure Compton. But then we heard his mom come into the room and start scolding him in Cantonese about not having done his homework yet (my wife speaks Chinese and I have picked up bits and pieces).

Yeah that's it. Funny stuff. Could you tell he was faking it even before his mom came in?

I guess I don't know for sure but it seems readily apparent when I'm playing with someone from the "hood" vs. someone putting on an act.
Quote Reply
Re: More Fortnite [rudygt88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rudygt88 wrote:
I hear there making a Fortnite-Zwift game

What's Zwift?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If any of your kids are playing on XBOX, you can use MS family controls to limit screen time, block certain apps etc.. Works pretty well but does have some bugs..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:

Yeah I know I can turn them off. I'm kind of fascinated by the insights at this point. Sometimes I'll turn someone off if they are particularly annoying and the game is going on for too long.

Yes it's strange how many people play squads or duo with seemingly little interest in working as a team to win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL.. Got back on Sat from dropping my daughter off at an overnight college visit. My son is up in his room playing xbox and doesnt know we've returned. I hear him yell "GOD FUCKING DAM IT!" I look at my wife who has this look of horror on her face. I said Ill handle it. Just as I open his door he sits up straight as board and screams "HOW DID YOU NOT FUCKING DIE!!" He looks over at me and then just lays down and buries his face so I cant see him laughing. At that point I unplugged the XBox and removed it for awhile. A couple of hours later he approaches me with this huge smile on his face and says.. "Sorry. Didn't know you were home." I finally gave it back when he apologized for his language to both his Mom and I.. I am still chuckling about tho.. even tho he doesnt know that. ahahaha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Yeah, I've had the thought that it would be some sort of good personalty test for screening employees, vetting cops, etc.

You can definitely often pickup whose a decent person vs. an asshole fairly easily, whether that would relate to real life or not I don't know. I think it would to some extent.

I definitely think it translates to real life. I see it in my kids. One never bothers to revive people in 50v50 while the other always does. The former would never give away a good gun to a teammate and the other would... and it matches their personalities in real life. That said, the "selfish" one would go to the ends of the earth for her friends, so it's not that she's a mean person. Just different levels of empathy for others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was playing squads and I needed resuscitated. My squad mate waited until the storm came and built a room around me. It was a slow death.
Quote Reply
Re: More Fortnite [Amstel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amstel wrote:
I was playing squads and I needed resuscitated. My squad mate waited until the storm came and built a room around me. It was a slow death.

The best is when they let you die to take your stuff or even kill you to get it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Concur on the translating to IRL. My kid just started playing with his cousins in a squad. I broke down and got him s headset so that they could. Watching them play fortnite together is a mirror image of watching them play together at family get togethers.

At 10, my kid is the oldest and is always determining what they are going to do and how they are going to do it. Same thing in the game, but more pronounced because there are a lot more discrete actions for him to control. "Connor go revive Cooper"., "Everybody shoot that staircase", "follow me" etc.

watching them play together can be pretty damn funny. I don't let him use the headset when he plays with strangers for obvious reasons.
Quote Reply
Re: More Fortnite [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
LOL.. Got back on Sat from dropping my daughter off at an overnight college visit. My son is up in his room playing xbox and doesnt know we've returned. I hear him yell "GOD FUCKING DAM IT!" I look at my wife who has this look of horror on her face. I said Ill handle it. Just as I open his door he sits up straight as board and screams "HOW DID YOU NOT FUCKING DIE!!" He looks over at me and then just lays down and buries his face so I cant see him laughing. At that point I unplugged the XBox and removed it for awhile. A couple of hours later he approaches me with this huge smile on his face and says.. "Sorry. Didn't know you were home." I finally gave it back when he apologized for his language to both his Mom and I.. I am still chuckling about tho.. even tho he doesnt know that. ahahaha.

that's funny.

it can be pretty entertaining watching some of the pro gamers on youtube, mostly for their ongoing commentary through the game. Muselk (an Aussie) is my favorite (see link in post #2 above). He has some colorful language at times, but all in good fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Amstel wrote:

The best is when they let you die to take your stuff or even kill you to get it.

I had a guy that instead of reviving me, which he could have easily done, waited for me to die and then danced on my grave.
Quote Reply