Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: “I don’t have an Attorney General. It’s very sad” [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<But why would he be sad that he does not personally have an attorney general? Should we all be sad we do not?>>

Quote Reply
Re: “I don’t have an Attorney General. It’s very sad” [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the saddest, from the standpoint of tears

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: “I don’t have an Attorney General. It’s very sad” [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
JD21 wrote:
//No president 'has' an Attorney General. The UNITED STATES has an Attorney General. The president has his own lawyers (sic.) like Rudy and Jay Sekulow. //

Well then, it's a FACT that the Trump doesn't have an Attorney General. He started the day stating a provable FACT and now you're all complaining. Man, he should've just started the day with the usual pack of lies if he isn't going to get any credit for being honest. Bunch of haters! SAD.

But why would he be sad that he does not personally have an attorney general? Should we all be sad we do not? What would a personal attorney general even do?

They are similar in job description to your own, personal, Jesus. someone to hear your prayers, someone who cares.
Last edited by: chriskal: Sep 19, 18 19:08
Quote Reply
Re: “I don’t have an Attorney General. It’s very sad” [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JD21 wrote:
//No president 'has' an Attorney General. The UNITED STATES has an Attorney General. The president has his own lawyers (sic.) like Rudy and Jay Sekulow. //

Well then, it's a FACT that the Trump doesn't have an Attorney General. He started the day stating a provable FACT and now you're all complaining. Man, he should've just started the day with the usual pack of lies if he isn't going to get any credit for being honest. Bunch of haters! SAD.

But why would he be sad that he does not personally have an attorney general? Should we all be sad we do not? What would a personal attorney general even do?

They are similar in job description to your own, personal, Jesus. someone to hear your prayers, someone who cares.

Someone who's there?

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: “I don’t have an Attorney General. It’s very sad” [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that Session, despite his many, many faults, is actually a very patriotic American who is willing to take the pain for the sake of protecting the USA from creeping tyranny.

I don't think people go into politics to save the country, which is more than a little arrogant, thinking the country needs them so badly. I think the overwhelming majority (ie. 99.99%) go into politics for personal gain but say they are doing it for the public good.
Quote Reply
Re: “I don’t have an Attorney General. It’s very sad” [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I think that Session, despite his many, many faults, is actually a very patriotic American who is willing to take the pain for the sake of protecting the USA from creeping tyranny.

I don't think people go into politics to save the country, which is more than a little arrogant, thinking the country needs them so badly. I think the overwhelming majority (ie. 99.99%) go into politics for personal gain but say they are doing it for the public good.

My brief foray into politics was because others approached me about running for the school board, so I did. I was mainly motivated by being tired of hearing parents bitching but not stepping up to actually do anything other than bitch and I figured I would be cool, reasonable head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

My dad was on the school board for a total of 8 years. He was asked to run and did because the existing board was spending too much on everything. My dad did both terms and then was done. They asked him to run again but he said no, it was time for someone else. He worked out of town so he couldn't use it to bolster his status at his job. My uncle is the richest businessman in town, small pond/big fish, so any discounts he did get, he got before because we were related, he owns an LP gas business and sells him gas at cost.

If you had said on the state level and above, I would tend to agree. At that point, I do believe in the arrogance argument. Not so much on the local level. I would still put the number over 50% on the local level.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: “I don’t have an Attorney General. It’s very sad” [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you had said on the state level and above, I would tend to agree. At that point, I do believe in the arrogance argument. Not so much on the local level. I would still put the number over 50% on the local level.

I really meant at the Federal level, meaning Congress but also the top State level. People at the local levels tend to want to fight for their communities and things of importance to them. I know a number on local council who are really doing it for free just because they want to see changes.

Either way, on the Federal and State level, it's sad.

Last edited by: Sanuk: Sep 20, 18 8:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

I really meant at the Federal level, meaning Congress but also the top State level. People at the local levels tend to want to fight for their communities and things of importance to them. I know a number on local council who are really doing it for free just because they want to see changes.

Either way, on the Federal and State level, it's sad.

This is especially obvious when they go through years and years without ever trying to compromise and get something done. Compromise has become a dirty word.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Last edited by: TheRef65: Sep 20, 18 8:18
Quote Reply
Re: “I don’t have an Attorney General. It’s very sad” [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Guffaw wrote:
"I don’t have an Attorney General. It’s very sad”

Can we get a collection going to buy Trump a book on civics and the US Government? Maybe one that comes with a bonus poster of the US Constitution?
No president 'has' an Attorney General. The UNITED STATES has an Attorney General. The president has his own lawyers (sic.) like Rudy and Jay Sekulow.

I had the same thought, but was afraid it would lead to some pedantic argument if I posted it.

Hell I'm apparently arguing with JSA in the Kavanaugh thread and I didn't even realize it.

You both think alike because you're like-minded insofar as you both are so steeped in political stasis that you've thrown out everything that doesn't comport with your ideology.

Trump is using a literary device common in speech, called a colloquialism. It's like a baseball manager, frustrated at his pitchers' failure to get people out, stating, "I don't have a pitcher." Well, of course, he has a bullpen full of pitchers.
Quote Reply
Re: “I don’t have an Attorney General. It’s very sad” [TriFloyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriFloyd wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Guffaw wrote:

Can we get a collection going to buy Trump a book on civics and the US Government? Maybe one that comes with a bonus poster of the US Constitution?
No president 'has' an Attorney General. The UNITED STATES has an Attorney General. The president has his own lawyers (sic.) like Rudy and Jay Sekulow.

I had the same thought, but was afraid it would lead to some pedantic argument if I posted it.

Hell I'm apparently arguing with JSA in the Kavanaugh thread and I didn't even realize it.

You both think alike because you're like-minded insofar as you both are so steeped in political stasis that you've thrown out everything that doesn't comport with your ideology.

Trump is using a literary device common in speech, called a colloquialism. It's like a baseball manager, frustrated at his pitchers' failure to get people out, stating, "I don't have a pitcher." Well, of course, he has a bullpen full of pitchers.

Parse away. He is still an idiot. He has proven that time and time again.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: “I don’t have an Attorney General. It’s very sad” [TriFloyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriFloyd wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Guffaw wrote:

That was really well said, but I'm not sure thinking Trump is an idiot really rises to the level of an ideology.
Quote Reply
Re: “I don’t have an Attorney General. It’s very sad” [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
TriFloyd wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Guffaw wrote:

That was really well said, but I'm not sure thinking Trump is an idiot really rises to the level of an ideology.

Not an ideology, but a syndrome. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: “I don’t have an Attorney General. It’s very sad” [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the syndrome was getting outraged by him?

Seems like even a lot of folks on the right have concluded he's an idiot but a useful one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
"even a broken clock is right twice a day"

If you want to be correct, the phrase is "even a STOPPED clock is right twice a day"

A broken clock may never be right at all, depending on what the issue is

Carry on

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: “I don’t have an Attorney General. It’s very sad” [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
"even a broken clock is right twice a day"

If you want to be correct, the phrase is "even a STOPPED clock is right twice a day"

A broken clock may never be right at all, depending on what the issue is

Carry on

You are so steeped in political stasis that you've thrown out everything that doesn't comport with your ideology.

I'm using a literary device common in speech, called a colloquialism. It's like a baseball manager, frustrated at his pitchers' failure to get people out, stating, "I don't have a pitcher." Well, of course, he has a bullpen full of pitchers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get that

I'm just clarifying the broken/stopped clock thingy

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

I think you're right. But, Trump's [whatever] can't lead us citizens to stoop to his level. He's got plenty of issues (e.g., he's sooo petty, how can a US President be *that* petty?).

We need to keep our heads about us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriFloyd wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Guffaw wrote:

Let’s go with this analogy. The manager wants a pitcher who can get the job done, right?

So what job does Trump want done that Sessions won’t do? Or can’t do?

I’ll venture a guess that the job would be good for Trump but not necessarily good for justice or the American people.
Quote Reply
Re: “I don’t have an Attorney General. It’s very sad” [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JD21 wrote:

Thank you sir! I'll say it again, it's little gems like this that make this place great.
Quote Reply
Re: “I don’t have an Attorney General. It’s very sad” [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
Let’s go with this analogy. The manager wants a pitcher who can get the job done, right?

I’ll venture a guess that the job would be good for Trump but not necessarily good for justice or the American people.

Why do you think getting batters out is not necessarily good for justice or the American people? What makes you so favorable to the hitters in this situation? Sure, Trump could build a team with better fielders to help out the pitcher (unless the batter hits a home run), or Trump could shift the infield based on better research on the hitters past batting trends. But instead, he just heaps up hate on the poor pitchers. Obviously, Trump has no regard for justice or the American people.

All my nonsensical mixing of metaphors above is to suggest that you've changed what we were talking about (i.e., emotionally attacking a mere colloquialism as a literal statement) and made it into a political diatribe because you're just so emotionally eager to jump at anything to make broad unprovoked anti-Trump statements. Don't let Trump affect you like this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriFloyd wrote:
DieselPete wrote:

Why do you think getting batters out is not necessarily good for justice or the American people? What makes you so favorable to the hitters in this situation? Sure, Trump could build a team with better fielders to help out the pitcher (unless the batter hits a home run), or Trump could shift the infield based on better research on the hitters past batting trends. But instead, he just heaps up hate on the poor pitchers. Obviously, Trump has no regard for justice or the American people.

All my nonsensical mixing of metaphors above is to suggest that you've changed what we were talking about (i.e., emotionally attacking a mere colloquialism as a literal statement) and made it into a political diatribe because you're just so emotionally eager to jump at anything to make broad unprovoked anti-Trump statements. Don't let Trump affect you like this.

Did you mean to reply to DieselPete? He doesn't seem at all emotional or attacking to me, unless "not necessarily good" has now been elevated to be some sort of really strong invective.

And everyone else is just kinda having fun with it. If there's anyone who kinda suddenly made it all awkward and serious....
Quote Reply

Prev Next