Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Toughman Events?
Quote | Reply
Considering signing up for Toughman Tennessee. Anyone have any experience with the series in general or that event in particular?
Quote Reply
Re: Toughman Events? [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Toughman NY this past weekend (and last year).

It is one of my favorite races as it seems to be a perfect blend of big event quality/production but with a local community atmosphere. To top it off a very competitive field for the size (not sure if that is due to NY being the "championship" race).

Based on my experience at the race in NY I would highly recommend giving it a go, though I would be curious if people have had similar experiences at the other Toughman races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did toughman Chisago (Minneapolis) once. At check in, I found out I was in the 4th out of 5 waves. I asked how they sorted the waves and was told it was by age group. Which wasn’t true, because I knew some of the contenders, who were either 40-44 or 30-34 were in wave 1. I’m 35-39. It was completely random, with the exception on some local ish big name guys getting low bib numbers and this being in wave one. It sucked for me because I finished 4th overall, but I was so far behind the top 3 on the run course that I wasn’t really ‘in’ the race. Also, this race had a sprint as well as half iron. And the sprint started right after the half iron. So I’m getting out of t1 with hundreds of newbies doing a sprint. When you’re doing a flying mount, you’d like a bit of space. Crap. I’m being super negative. Post race food was good if I remember correctly and cost of the race was reasonable. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toughman's are great they keep the price down and give local races that otherwise would be struggling brand recognition that has a further outreach. Race directors seem to have flexibility to keep a local personality to the race. I've done both Wisconsin (High Cliff) and Minnesota (Chisago Lake) both were run smoothly distances were correct (something Ironman can't seem to get right on the bike anymore). A big positive for me is day of packet pickup.
Quote Reply
Re: Toughman Events? [grtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Toughman NY this weekend also. I thought it was very well run. Course was well marked and well supported. Cost me $190 with a promo code and I got a Polar watch with optical heart rate monitor at the awards ceremony. When I got home and checked it on Amazon is was going for $190! So the race cost me nothing. I thought you were only allowed one beer per person but I kept going back and getting refilled. Maybe I should have self policed but it was quality beer.! I wasn't hungry at first but I saw they had veggie burgers. Unfortunately when I finally got hungry they had ran out. So all I had was a couple of pieces of corn. While they were allowing more than one beer they were tightly controlling the food. I saw some people go up for seconds and were pissed when they were told no. My potential complaint was there was no ice on the run and at most aid stations the water was hot. I'm spoiled because of Ironman. I really wasn't expecting more than I got from the aid stations for a race like this. I also thought the swim course could have been marked better but now I'm nitpicking. I'd definitely do it again and look to do more Toughman races. There was a large contingent from Chile that gave the race an international feel that made it extra cool. I felt good about giving this organization by money as opposed to WTC.
Quote Reply
Re: Toughman Events? [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great race, super professionally organized.
How long before WTC buys them, then shuts down 75% or the races over the following 3 years? :(
Quote Reply
Re: Toughman Events? [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
Great race, super professionally organized.
How long before WTC buys them, then shuts down 75% or the races over the following 3 years? :(

Way too hard a race for WTC. 4000 feet of elevation on the bike and 1000 on the run. Although they did buy Quassy. I think that may be why this race eventually starts to suffer. Most people want something easier. And to be honest, I wouldn't recommend it to someone as a first time 70.3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The NY race is a great race to have on the calendar. Although the Croton on Hudson venue was outstanding, the new course across the river is great too.

I wonder what the creation of IMLP 70.3 is doing to this event. Attendance seems down pretty far from a few years ago. It is a shame the closest half race to NYC can’t be supported more. Rich Izzo is doing a great job keeping a high quality product alive. The race day experience is in many ways superior—convenient morning access, NYC packet pickup option, single loop swim course, safe roads, many volunteers, post race food and beer, prizes, etc.

Lobsterman, Pumpkinman, Toughman—these are all September Northeast races that need to endure to keep the triathlon ecosystem healthy. Westchester might be another option, but I’ve never done that.
Quote Reply
Re: Toughman Events? [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
The NY race is a great race to have on the calendar. Although the Croton on Hudson venue was outstanding, the new course across the river is great too.

I wonder what the creation of IMLP 70.3 is doing to this event. Attendance seems down pretty far from a few years ago. It is a shame the closest half race to NYC can’t be supported more. Rich Izzo is doing a great job keeping a high quality product alive. The race day experience is in many ways superior—convenient morning access, NYC packet pickup option, single loop swim course, safe roads, many volunteers, post race food and beer, prizes, etc.

Lobsterman, Pumpkinman, Toughman—these are all September Northeast races that need to endure to keep the triathlon ecosystem healthy. Westchester might be another option, but I’ve never done that.

I spoke to one of the support staff at package pickup on Saturday and asked how they'll wee going participant wise compared to prior years. She said this was there best year yet, but mostly from the relay option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s great to hear. Much of that must have come from the Morgan Stanley partnership.

Izzo is one of the guys fighting to keep triathlon alive in the midst of the declining numbers. Sandwiched between the halves in AC and LP, this race faces a lot of competition.

The kind of dedicated triathletes that populate this forum need to make a point of supporting one or two of these independent races every year.
Quote Reply
Re: Toughman Events? [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
That’s great to hear. Much of that must have come from the Morgan Stanley partnership.

Izzo is one of the guys fighting to keep triathlon alive in the midst of the declining numbers. Sandwiched between the halves in AC and LP, this race faces a lot of competition.

The kind of dedicated triathletes that populate this forum need to make a point of supporting one or two of these independent races every year.

I'm sure that would help but I don't think that is who keeps these races afloat. I could be wrong but I think all these races, just like IM races, make their money off the average joe racer. It seems the majority here are aiming for FOP but I could also be wrong about that too.

A majority of my races are non-IM branded. But to be fair most of those are Olympic and sprints. I did Rev3 Williamsburg Half last year and now IM has that. But Toughman SC and TN are both ones I'm considering for next year. White Lake Half and Lake Logan Half are also one's I'm considering. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with IM races but I enjoy racing different courses in different cities. Chattanooga is my favorite so far. I did the half and full there. Wilmington half was not my favorite. Augusta was okay but I can't say I was a fan of the city.

I definitely hate seeing WTC gobble up so many events. competition is a good thing and different race organizers give a different feel to races.
Quote Reply
Re: Toughman Events? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TOUGHMAN has been around for 11+ years, so they are doing something right.

I am only experienced with the NY events, I have done it solo, as a relay, and as a participant. This race is awesome. Someone mentioned that this course is way to hard for WTC, I agree. This is a bad ass course but welcoming for 1st timers to your competitive racers. What I love about this race is that it caters to not just athletes, but families too. The post race food and drink are better than any of the 11IM and 6 IM 70.3 races I have been to. That is the difference, Izzo keeps this race 'home-grown' and you will not get that feeling at any WTC race.

Maybe he will get bought out one day but for now, as a NYC resident, I will choose TOUGHMAN over 70.3 LP, the new 70.3 Quassy, or 70.3 AC.
Quote Reply