Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The best day in 3 years
Quote | Reply
Two and a half years after I first attempted to sell my house it has gone

It's been a shit period of time. More debt than you could shake a stick out, more debt than my first mortgage

The proceeds hit my account at approximately 6pm

By 7pm for the first time in my adult life I am completely (outside of two rentals one of which I'm selling but both of which cover themselves) I have zero personal debt. Nothing unsecured.

Never again............

What a total and utter shits show its been.

Unlike when we had a fire, lost our jobs, got sued, did not receive insurance for 14 months and are still waiting for another payment 14 months on we have liquidity.......

Might have a night off of pot noodle........
Quote Reply
Re: The best day in 3 years [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We put the condo we have had to rent out for the last 11 years on the market in August. Had an offer within 2 days. 3 weeks later it fell through due to financing. Had a contingent offer in hand before it fell through. After 2 more weeks they backed out, used the inspection as an excuse but their realtor admitted the daughter who was supposed to live with mom didn't want to live there. Have another offer supposedly in the works.

I would burn the place down but it is a condo and they'd just rebuild the fucking place.

The day that thing actually closes will be a very good day indeed.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best two days you own a boat. The day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Congrats on finally getting out of hot water.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats. Must be a big relief. It is why I keep telling the wife I’m going to die in the house we’re in. Got bit in the ass on the reno thing before.
Quote Reply
Re: The best day in 3 years [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
We put the condo we have had to rent out for the last 11 years on the market in August. Had an offer within 2 days. 3 weeks later it fell through due to financing. Had a contingent offer in hand before it fell through. After 2 more weeks they backed out, used the inspection as an excuse but their realtor admitted the daughter who was supposed to live with mom didn't want to live there. Have another offer supposedly in the works.

I would burn the place down but it is a condo and they'd just rebuild the fucking place.

Where is the condo?

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you're out of the hole, though property has been relatively good to me. Maybe I've been lucky with timing, but of the five properties I've bought, only one has been a flat trade. All the others have done well, with one going up by 3.5x its value (beachfront) and the another by 6x (London flat). The two others I still use for personal use but are holding their value well. In short, I would be in a significantly worse financial position now if I hadn't invested in property. My biggest regret is not buying the flat in Greenwich I was close to doing in 1999.
Quote Reply
Re: The best day in 3 years [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
j p o wrote:

Where is the condo?

Grove City at 665 and 104

We had the amazing foresight to build a new house in 2007 and decided to rent it out for a year while we fixed some things. Some people may have forgotten what happened in 2008. I have a reminder.

Quote Reply
Re: The best day in 3 years [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the comments..........

All of mine have done well. In fact the fire was the best thing to happen to the French one. My problem has been trying to get shot of them for cash flow issues

I bought an off-plan appt on Albert embankment 4.5 years ago. If it had completed on time it would not have been an issue, I'd have mortgaged it and been done but the unexpected expenses and no job left me potentially losing my deposit - 250k - if I could not finance the rest. So I had to sell my house, but that did not happen in time so I bridged

The house more than doubled in value between 2011 and today even with Brexit. but I had a massive cash flow problem. If I'd bought that house in 98 it would be a ten fold return which is bonkers

Pressures off now. Embankment will be interesting to see how it plays out. I think the building is completely sold out bar the two triplexes at the top.

If between Apple, the US embassy and the fact its less than a mile from Whitehall pay off in the next three years it could be a good move...... If not, cest la vie

Chamonix is being sold, we will sit tight in provence for a while whilst pondering life choices

Where in London is yours. When did you buy it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck. By the end I'd have taken almost anything to be shot of it
Quote Reply
Re: The best day in 3 years [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep saying that.......

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Thanks for all the comments..........

All of mine have done well. In fact the fire was the best thing to happen to the French one. My problem has been trying to get shot of them for cash flow issues

I bought an off-plan appt on Albert embankment 4.5 years ago. If it had completed on time it would not have been an issue, I'd have mortgaged it and been done but the unexpected expenses and no job left me potentially losing my deposit - 250k - if I could not finance the rest. So I had to sell my house, but that did not happen in time so I bridged

The house more than doubled in value between 2011 and today even with Brexit. but I had a massive cash flow problem. If I'd bought that house in 98 it would be a ten fold return which is bonkers

Pressures off now. Embankment will be interesting to see how it plays out. I think the building is completely sold out bar the two triplexes at the top.

If between Apple, the US embassy and the fact its less than a mile from Whitehall pay off in the next three years it could be a good move...... If not, cest la vie

Chamonix is being sold, we will sit tight in provence for a while whilst pondering life choices

Where in London is yours. When did you buy it?

Hopefully the Embankment property works out. Hard to imagine it wont, barring a catastrophic collapse in London property but as you say, even a bad Brexit outcome hopefully wont be too bad for the property market.

Love Chamonix btw. Though I like to ski different places, so not sure I'll buy a ski house. I was tempted to buy in Big Sky a couple years ago. I think it would be a great long term investment that can cover itself in rental income. It's where Jackson hole was 20 years ago.

I bought in Balham (Nightingale Triangle) in 1996. Sold a few years ago to a Russian woman paying cash... sign of the times!
Quote Reply
Re: The best day in 3 years [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are pondering moving to the valais. We ski all over but use it probably 6 - 8 weeks a year, summer, season open and close and then one or two weeks in season then somewhere else

Now my 4 year old is up and running. If I can get her sister sorted this year by Xmas we will consider a bigger ski trip, but no sense taking them just for time in a nursery
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JPO
Funny I graduated from Grove City HS and know right where your condo is. I moved to Wyoming about a year ago and haven’t looked back. I still have some family in that area. It’s a small world.
Quote Reply
Re: The best day in 3 years [Decker21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Decker21 wrote:
JPO
Funny I graduated from Grove City HS and know right where your condo is. I moved to Wyoming about a year ago and haven’t looked back. I still have some family in that area. It’s a small world.

I may have played a lot of poker with your physics teacher/one time X-country coach. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a total aside I used to live in gahanna work in blacklick and play golf in New Albany and johnstown

Small world
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! Hope the not pot noodle was good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
As a total aside I used to live in gahanna work in blacklick and play golf in New Albany and johnstown

Small world

So you know the place. Want to buy a condo?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Two and a half years after I first attempted to sell my house it has gone

It's been a shit period of time. More debt than you could shake a stick out, more debt than my first mortgage

The proceeds hit my account at approximately 6pm

By 7pm for the first time in my adult life I am completely (outside of two rentals one of which I'm selling but both of which cover themselves) I have zero personal debt. Nothing unsecured.

Never again............

What a total and utter shits show its been.

Unlike when we had a fire, lost our jobs, got sued, did not receive insurance for 14 months and are still waiting for another payment 14 months on we have liquidity.......

Might have a night off of pot noodle........

Steak- a lot of wine- and sex with the Mrs

That’s a good celebration to me. I try to find a reason to celebrate as often as possible. Lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fuck no. Last one burnt down
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Fuck no. Last one burnt down

Just got another offer at lunch and accepted again. For a few dollars more than the last two.

So maybe it works out for the best. But the stress is killing me and it has only been a few weeks. Can't imagine it dragging on for 3 years.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently my buyer was off work with stress.......... He was jut buying a fucking house. I've got a bridge, wrecked flat......... But its all good now

Good luck
Quote Reply