Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Beto for Texas [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
chaparral wrote:
Wait did Ted Cruz just start campaining for Beto?

https://twitter.com/.../1043278255740973058

I guess he's written off the black vote then.

It's way past time for us to stop pretending that institutional racism isn't one of the primary selling points for the GOP. If that post wasn't evidence enough, let's remember that this was the second most racist candidate in the GOP primary of ~8 legitimate contenders, and the only person who beat him was the guy who was MORE racist.

For people who still support the GOP and have the gall to complain when people call you racist: Stop voting for people who say racist things and promote racist policies... In a decade or two, a forgetful person might not remember what a moral abomination you are (but I'll do my best to remind them).
Quote Reply
Re: Beto for Texas [WILLEATFORFOOD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WILLEATFORFOOD wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
chaparral wrote:

It's way past time for us to stop pretending that institutional racism isn't one of the primary selling points for the GOP. If that post wasn't evidence enough, let's remember that this was the second most racist candidate in the GOP primary of ~8 legitimate contenders, and the only person who beat him was the guy who was MORE racist.

For people who still support the GOP and have the gall to complain when people call you racist: Stop voting for people who say racist things and promote racist policies... In a decade or two, a forgetful person might not remember what a moral abomination you are (but I'll do my best to remind them).
You've got alot of convincing to do. Black folks are running from the left in droves. It says alot about you guys when you think blacks are too stupid to not understand a campaigne ad. Good god your such a racist. How about trying to hide your racism just a little bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Beto for Texas [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirt fighter wrote:
WILLEATFORFOOD wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
chaparral wrote:

You've got alot of convincing to do. Black folks are running from the left in droves. It says alot about you guys when you think blacks are too stupid to not understand a campaigne ad. Good god your such a racist. How about trying to hide your racism just a little bit.

What world do you live in where you think black folks are running from the left in droves? Where are they running to, one wonders?

I seem to recall that you said that English isn't your first language, so I won't go there.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Beto for Texas [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Dirt fighter wrote:
WILLEATFORFOOD wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
chaparral wrote:

What world do you live in where you think black folks are running from the left in droves? Where are they running to, one wonders?

I seem to recall that you said that English isn't your first language, so I won't go there.

Well, Trump said so. And we know Trump tells it like it is. It uses th theory that if you repeat nonsense often enough it stops sounding stupid.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...m_term=.cb70cd66c41f

It might seem far-fetched that over a third of African Americans would now approve of a president with a very long history of racial insensitivity — especially because fewer than 10 percent of black voters supported him in 2016.
That’s because it is far-fetched. Trump’s black approval rating is nowhere near 36 percent.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Beto for Texas [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Most likely in between.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/...rs-to-trust-in-2018/

I doubt very much Texas will flip. I am pretty sure Senate won't flip. And doubt the house will flip either.

Beto has a shot if he runs a Obama campaign and Cruz runs a Hillary campaign.

Beto needs to get a lot of new voters to show up just like Obama did.
Cruz is the Hillary of Texas.
Quote Reply
Re: Beto for Texas [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

Well, Trump said so. And we know Trump tells it like it is. It uses th theory that if you repeat nonsense often enough it stops sounding stupid.

Maybe he was talking about Black Trump.

Quote Reply
Re: Beto for Texas [WILLEATFORFOOD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WILLEATFORFOOD wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
chaparral wrote:

I guess there is a chance he was hacked. Because if not, I am having a hard time coming up with a non-racist reason to post this video.
Quote Reply
Re: Beto for Texas [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:

Beto has a shot if he runs a Obama campaign and Cruz runs a Hillary campaign.

Beto needs to get a lot of new voters to show up just like Obama did.
Cruz is the Hillary of Texas.

This is a good comparison (Well, Hillary did win the Popular vote.).

Ted is not going to get new voters to come out for him and he is running a stale campaign. The first commercial break on the 10 o'clock vs Text messages and Social Media.

Beto will be on the 2020 ticket win (top) or lose (bottom).
Quote Reply
Re: Beto for Texas [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
Watched it all. I was most impressed that almost all of the questions asked were fastballs - hard tough questions that got to the heart of differences and criticisms of both. I thought both handled themselves and the debate well. Overall, it was one of the better debates I have watched in recent memory. Toss up on who “won.”

I’ll agree that Cruz’s answer on why he politically forgave Trump after the 2016 election was a better response than I had expected and that point of view was something I had not considered.

Cruz was well prepared and tried to appeal to the head. Beto demonstrated his work during the campaign and tried to appeal to our better selves.

Beto’s message of running for something not against someone seemed to resonate.

Cruz came across a bit petty with his answer on of what he admired about Beto. Beto had a nice comeback with “True to form”.

Both won points with their supporters and distanced themslevses from their detractors. Not sure I saw anything that would sway someone who was deeply entrenched in either camp prior to the debate, but there were several good points from both for fencesitters.

Could anyone please paraphrase or summarize this explanation, for those of us who didn't see it and are curious (but not quite curious enough to search down a video clip ourselves...)
Last edited by: OneGoodLeg: Sep 24, 18 13:12
Quote Reply
Re: Beto for Texas [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
jmh wrote:
Watched it all. I was most impressed that almost all of the questions asked were fastballs - hard tough questions that got to the heart of differences and criticisms of both. I thought both handled themselves and the debate well. Overall, it was one of the better debates I have watched in recent memory. Toss up on who “won.”

I’ll agree that Cruz’s answer on why he politically forgave Trump after the 2016 election was a better response than I had expected and that point of view was something I had not considered.

Cruz was well prepared and tried to appeal to the head. Beto demonstrated his work during the campaign and tried to appeal to our better selves.

Beto’s message of running for something not against someone seemed to resonate.

Cruz came across a bit petty with his answer on of what he admired about Beto. Beto had a nice comeback with “True to form”.

Both won points with their supporters and distanced themslevses from their detractors. Not sure I saw anything that would sway someone who was deeply entrenched in either camp prior to the debate, but there were several good points from both for fencesitters.

Could anyone please paraphrase or summarize this explanation, for those of us who didn't see it and are curious (but not quite curious enough to search down a video clip ourselves...)

Trump won so I had to get in line if I wanted to get anything done. In other words, character doesn't matter as long as I can get my agenda through.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Beto for Texas [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Trump won so I had to get in line if I wanted to get anything done. In other words, character doesn't matter as long as I can get my agenda through.

You heard it slightly different than I did.

He said, “I could have chosen to make it about myself" but instead "I've got a responsibility, which is to fight for everybody here and every person in this state."

Not defending him, but it was a more nuanced answer than I think either you or I can convey. Folks can watch the video and make their own minds up.

Here is the video of just this question and answer: https://www.cnn.com/...-orourke-sot-vpx.cnn

Suffer Well.
Last edited by: jmh: Sep 24, 18 14:35
Quote Reply
Re: Beto for Texas [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Beto for Texas [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
Quote:

You heard it slightly different than I did.

He said, “I could have chosen to make it about myself" but instead "I've got a responsibility, which is to fight for everybody here and every person in this state."

Not defending him, but it was a more nuanced answer than I think either you or I can convey. Folks can watch the video and make their own minds up.

Here is the video of just this question and answer: https://www.cnn.com/...-orourke-sot-vpx.cnn

I agree it was more nuanced than what I said but that doesn't take away the meaning. You can continue to work for your ideals and your constituents without supporting the head of the party. Would you request Trump campaign for you after the accusations and comments about your family? No way in hell I would, no job is worth the humiliation. Having him come, to me, shows neither of them have any character.

_____
TEAM HD
Quote Reply
Re: Beto for Texas [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I hope you like disappointment. Wendy Davis was the last great blue hype, I mean hope. She polled well and she got her butt handed to her. Beto is running on fundamentally un-Texan stances. Sure they play well in urban centers, but not so much in other parts. And the people most supportive of Beto, are reliable voters in general, let alone a mid-term.

Quote Reply
Re: Beto for Texas [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:
It depends on how many more recent transplants vote and what their voting preferences are. The demographics of the state are certainly changing, both in terms of racial makeup as well as party preference. Growing up, we always had a ton of Democrats at the state and national levels. It's only been the last couple of decades that governors have been Republican.

What do you expect when politics has become a zero sum game? I can’t vote for a democrat even if I know them personally to be moderate, because I know they will vote with democrats who are hostile to the norms and custom of Midwestern people like myself. While I may not have the stomach for people who wear religion on their sleeves, I simply cannot risk a democrat winning and attacking issues I do support. Texans know there are no moderate democrats anymore just like there are no moderate republicans. And radical republicans have a lot more in common with the average Texan than a democrat.

Quote Reply
Re: Beto for Texas [Ozymandias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ozymandias wrote:
tigermilk wrote:
It depends on how many more recent transplants vote and what their voting preferences are. The demographics of the state are certainly changing, both in terms of racial makeup as well as party preference. Growing up, we always had a ton of Democrats at the state and national levels. It's only been the last couple of decades that governors have been Republican.

What do you expect when politics has become a zero sum game? I can’t vote for a democrat even if I know them personally to be moderate, because I know they will vote with democrats who are hostile to the norms and custom of Midwestern people like myself.

Can you expand on some of those "norms and customs," and how the Democrats are hostile to them? Seriously, I'm curious to see what lies behind these attitudes. Appreciate a serious discussion.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ozymandias wrote:
tigermilk wrote:

What do you expect when politics has become a zero sum game? I can’t vote for a democrat even if I know them personally to be moderate, because I know they will vote with democrats who are hostile to the norms and custom of Midwestern people like myself. While I may not have the stomach for people who wear religion on their sleeves, I simply cannot risk a democrat winning and attacking issues I do support. Texans know there are no moderate democrats anymore just like there are no moderate republicans. And radical republicans have a lot more in common with the average Texan than a democrat.

this is the most telling response for dems and repubs a like as to why the other party won't switch to them. I have seen the same thing in Texas and have a lot of friends that grew up southern democrats and voted dem their entire lives until recently. they voted for Clinton, Carter, and all local and state elections for dems. They held their nose and either voted for Trump or didn't vote at all in the last election. They are not getting behind Beto but don't like Cruz but will vote for him. They now see the liberal elites as their enemy and didn't see it that way in the times of Clinton in the 90's.

They do see the radical right as closer to their ideals then the radical left but don't like any of their options.
Quote Reply
Re: Beto for Texas [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Replying is a pain in the ass for me, requiring me to write things in word and copy and paste, since explorer keeps locking up.

Some things that come to mind instantly.

1. While I’m not a fan of politicians who throw around bible verses and other trite religious statements and platitudes, I do respect people who practice their faith. As I have said before, I’m Jewish, and while Kansas City has a decent Jewish population, we are a small minority. It is hard to not see the religious right as hostile to us or anybody who isn’t like them. But, I respect their faith and their right to practice as long as it doesn’t infringe on my beliefs and practices. Democrats do not share this view. As dumb as that Colorado baker was, I actually agree with his stance. He shouldn’t have to materially participate in providing a custom cake to a gay couple for their wedding. He should have to provide a cake. And if he chooses to provide a generic to satisfy that requirement, that is his choice. There are no shortage of bakers who would have provided that couple the custom cake they desired. They shopped and destroyed that man. And democratic politicians were willing participants in that man’s destruction.

2. Increased regulation on carbon. I believe in manmade global warming, but I’m not quite sure on the threat or that the cost of such regulations is worth it. I’m open to the concept, but still haven’t seen enough convincing argument that the ideas posed by democrats will put us in a better place than the status quo, but I do see the cost of my pickup truck or the next one I intend to buy going up because of it.

3. Antifa. It is easy for republicans to denounce the KKK or white supremacist. Despite the left claiming so, there is no shortage of republican denouncement of racism. Yet why is it so hard for leaders of the democrats to denounce Antifa? We can argue that trump hasn’t done enough to denounce the so called Alt-Right, but republicans as a whole have been pretty unified in condemning all white supremacy. Yet the Democratic Party leadership has been tepid or delayed at best.

4. Immigration. We have a need for immigration and we have a need for low skilled labor from countries like Mexico. I also think the criminal element within the illegal alien community is overstated. But the problem is we have a fundamental disconnect with law and order. We shouldn’t reward illegal immigration by allowing them to jump to the front of the line, but we shouldn’t be deporting every single illegal immigrant that comes into the sights of the gov’t. Serious reform is in order, but until then we should be targeting dangerous elements. Arrest for other crimes is certainly an objective measure that should be a no brainer. We have reached point where politicians are openly bragging about releasing illegal immigrants that have been arrested for other crimes and not cooperating with federal authorities. That is a breakdown in law and order. So given where we are, I just can’t support politicians that openly allow the breakdown of law and order for a selected class of people. I will tell you that any reform should contain stiff penalties for employers who hire illegal labor and a process that streamlines work visa processes for low skilled workers. If this sounds rational, it’s because it has bipartisan support by rational members of both sides. But it gets lost by the radical elements on both sides.

5. Tax reform, sorry, I may count as a 5%er, but I live close to paycheck to paycheck. Any policy that reduces gov’t dependency, handouts and my tax liability is a good thing. While I would prefer fiscal responsibility, I have given up on that. It isn’t going to happen. I would rather not fund it with my tax money. Yes, that is selfish.

I’m sure I could keep going, but I do have to get some work done.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ozymandias wrote:

Replying is a pain in the ass for me, requiring me to write things in word and copy and paste, since explorer keeps locking up.

Some things that come to mind instantly.

1. While I’m not a fan of politicians who throw around bible verses and other trite religious statements and platitudes, I do respect people who practice their faith. As I have said before, I’m Jewish, and while Kansas City has a decent Jewish population, we are a small minority. It is hard to not see the religious right as hostile to us or anybody who isn’t like them. But, I respect their faith and their right to practice as long as it doesn’t infringe on my beliefs and practices. Democrats do not share this view. As dumb as that Colorado baker was, I actually agree with his stance. He shouldn’t have to materially participate in providing a custom cake to a gay couple for their wedding. He should have to provide a cake. And if he chooses to provide a generic to satisfy that requirement, that is his choice. There are no shortage of bakers who would have provided that couple the custom cake they desired. They shopped and destroyed that man. And democratic politicians were willing participants in that man’s destruction.

2. Increased regulation on carbon. I believe in manmade global warming, but I’m not quite sure on the threat or that the cost of such regulations is worth it. I’m open to the concept, but still haven’t seen enough convincing argument that the ideas posed by democrats will put us in a better place than the status quo, but I do see the cost of my pickup truck or the next one I intend to buy going up because of it.

3. Antifa. It is easy for republicans to denounce the KKK or white supremacist. Despite the left claiming so, there is no shortage of republican denouncement of racism. Yet why is it so hard for leaders of the democrats to denounce Antifa? We can argue that trump hasn’t done enough to denounce the so called Alt-Right, but republicans as a whole have been pretty unified in condemning all white supremacy. Yet the Democratic Party leadership has been tepid or delayed at best.

4. Immigration. We have a need for immigration and we have a need for low skilled labor from countries like Mexico. I also think the criminal element within the illegal alien community is overstated. But the problem is we have a fundamental disconnect with law and order. We shouldn’t reward illegal immigration by allowing them to jump to the front of the line, but we shouldn’t be deporting every single illegal immigrant that comes into the sights of the gov’t. Serious reform is in order, but until then we should be targeting dangerous elements. Arrest for other crimes is certainly an objective measure that should be a no brainer. We have reached point where politicians are openly bragging about releasing illegal immigrants that have been arrested for other crimes and not cooperating with federal authorities. That is a breakdown in law and order. So given where we are, I just can’t support politicians that openly allow the breakdown of law and order for a selected class of people. I will tell you that any reform should contain stiff penalties for employers who hire illegal labor and a process that streamlines work visa processes for low skilled workers. If this sounds rational, it’s because it has bipartisan support by rational members of both sides. But it gets lost by the radical elements on both sides.

5. Tax reform, sorry, I may count as a 5%er, but I live close to paycheck to paycheck. Any policy that reduces gov’t dependency, handouts and my tax liability is a good thing. While I would prefer fiscal responsibility, I have given up on that. It isn’t going to happen. I would rather not fund it with my tax money. Yes, that is selfish.

I’m sure I could keep going, but I do have to get some work done.

1. I don't care what faith anyone practices. Most Democrats don't care what faith anyone practices. The point here is, if you want to open a business to the public, you can't pick and choose who you want to deal with based on your religion. You can say, no shirt, no shoes, no service because that is a sanitary issue. You can't say, you have a dick and like guys, sorry, my religious beliefs prevent me from serving you.

2. If you believe in man-made global warming but aren't willing to discuss some compromises as to how to combat its effects, then you really don't believe in man-made global warming. I agree there are extents to what can and should be done but the Republicans are saying, it's not a problem so we don't need to discuss it and definitely don't need to look at it scientifically.

3. Antifa, seriously? Republicans quote white supremacist, ask them to rallys. What antifa participants are campaigning with Democratic candidates? If they are, point them out, I will call out that politician. Antifa is the fringe and not given much leeway in the Democratic party, you can't say the same with the KKK types of groups on the right.

4. You are right in that there is a fundamental disconnect with law and order in regards to immigration. You also say we shouldn't just deport everyone. Democrats typically believe in a path to citizenship. This isn't moving them to the front of the line but is making them accountable. Democrats are against the wall because it does not solve any of the problems with immigration, it just spends billions of dollars on a wall.

5. We have almost full employment, what jobs do you anticipate all of these freeloaders to do? I believe in restrictions for using food stamps, such as types of food that can be purchased and limits on certain other types. Do you know who is preventing the restrictions and who lobbied to lift them in the first place, corporations. How strong of a company do you believe Wal-Mart would have become if they couldn't rely the poor for their revenues. I'm willing to have the discussion of what needs to be done but just saying we need to cut benefits is too short-sighted as to how to fix the issue.

_____
TEAM HD
Quote Reply
Re: Beto for Texas [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't argue or debate with people who aren't honest about their political bias. I was asked why I can't support democrats and I just stated why. Somebody who isn't honest about their own liberal biases like you certainly isn't going to convince me I'm wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ozymandias wrote:
I don't argue or debate with people who aren't honest about their political bias. I was asked why I can't support democrats and I just stated why. Somebody who isn't honest about their own liberal biases like you certainly isn't going to convince me I'm wrong.

In all my comments, where did I hide any bias. You made statements without defending anything and weren’t even honest about your reasons. I’m merely asking you to defend your position. You don’t seem willing.

_____
TEAM HD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
But, I respect their faith and their right to practice as long as it doesn’t infringe on my beliefs and practices. Democrats do not share this view

Democrats have *exactly* that view: practice your religion, but keep it out of the public space. I don't think you see Democrats putting up Christian symbols or the Ten Commandments in public areas, do you? Are Democrats the ones who would spend public money on Christmas displays at Town Hall? Do Democrats push for school prayer, as long as it is the correct prayer (i.e., "their" prayer)?
Quote:

Increased regulation on carbon. I believe in manmade global warming, but I’m not quite sure on the threat or that the cost of such regulations is worth it. I’m open to the concept, but still haven’t seen enough convincing argument that the ideas posed by democrats will put us in a better place than the status quo, but I do see the cost of my pickup truck or the next one I intend to buy going up because of it.

Who is it that is rolling back environmental regulations that have resulted in such a massive cleanup of our country over the past half century, Democrats or Republicans? Who is it that says global warming is a hoax (hint: that Midwesterner Inhofe is leading the charge)? Is it a Midwestern ethic to burn coal? Do the Republican ideas (which are basically roll back regulations, drill on public lands, burn fossil fuel) put us in a "better place" than the status quo? How?

Quote:
Antifa. It is easy for republicans to denounce the KKK or white supremacist. Despite the left claiming so, there is no shortage of republican denouncement of racism. Yet why is it so hard for leaders of the democrats to denounce Antifa? We can argue that trump hasn’t done enough to denounce the so called Alt-Right, but republicans as a whole have been pretty unified in condemning all white supremacy. Yet the Democratic Party leadership has been tepid or delayed at best.

"Antifa" no more represents the Democratic party than neo-Nazi groups do the Republican party. Do you ever consider why it is that fringe groups like neo-Nazis and other white supremacists unvaryingly support Republican candidates and policies? You should read (really read) what the ADL has to say about antifa. A snippet that is germane:

"That said, it is important to reject attempts to claim equivalence between the antifa and the white supremacist groups they oppose. The antifa reject racism but use unacceptable tactics. White supremacists use even more extreme violence to spread their ideologies of hate, to intimidate ethnic minorities, and undermine democratic norms. Right-wing extremists have been one of the largest and most consistent sources of domestic terror incidents in the United States for many years; they have murdered hundreds of people in this country over the last ten years alone. To date, there have not been any known antifa-related murders."

Quote:
Immigration. We have a need for immigration and we have a need for low skilled labor from countries like Mexico. I also think the criminal element within the illegal alien community is overstated. But the problem is we have a fundamental disconnect with law and order. We shouldn’t reward illegal immigration by allowing them to jump to the front of the line, but we shouldn’t be deporting every single illegal immigrant that comes into the sights of the gov’t. Serious reform is in order, but until then we should be targeting dangerous elements

This is *exactly* the opposite of current and recent Republican policies, which emphasize crime among illegal aliens (not a problem) and taking of jobs (also not a problem). ICE is targeting people with misdemeanor charges from decades ago, rather than use their resources to go after dangerous offenders. Sessions is trying to break down the public trust that sanctuary cities have built up with their immigrant communities; a trust that makes *everyone* safer. Nobody is jumping to the front of any line; where do you get that from? Do you like the new policy they are trying to get through, where even *legal* immigrants may have to choose between food/shelter and green card status? Is that your Midwestern values?

Quote:
Tax reform, sorry, I may count as a 5%er, but I live close to paycheck to paycheck. Any policy that reduces gov’t dependency, handouts and my tax liability is a good thing. While I would prefer fiscal responsibility, I have given up on that. It isn’t going to happen. I would rather not fund it with my tax money. Yes, that is selfish.

You would rather go with a tax break for the *really* wealthy and businesses (that isn't used for job creation; rather, for stock buybacks and increased dividends) that *you* will end up paying *more* for, so you can get a measly few bucks in your paycheck now?

"Go yell at an M&M"
Last edited by: klehner: Sep 25, 18 16:06
Quote Reply

Prev Next