Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Road Bike Search [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
Dude, the guy has been riding the same bike for 25 years! A little retail therapy is allowed. I'm stingy as all hell and I'd even allow myself that much.

I say indulge yourself a bit when the team buy comes around, but leave ~$500 or whatever to get new cables/housing, clean bar tape, new saddle and other things for the Vail Cycle Works that will make it feel "like new" again and ride it to coffee and around the neighborhood. It's absolutely one to hang on to, but that doesn't mean you can't have a new bike, too.

Yes and no. While I'm the president of my racing team, and I have the oldest road bike on the team by far and get ridiculed about it constantly, I'm really not into marketing hype. I'd rather be scientific about my approach to bikes. I want a bike that's durable. I want a bike that's comfortable for training; I put the most miles on my road bike (and I only own two bikes - road and TT). I want a bike that's competitive and fast for road racing - forget the crits (except in stage races). As a teacher, I have limited funds, so I want to spend my money wisely. Having the newest and greatest isn't my thing. I get more jollies out of knowing my bike is fast, even if it's not fashionable. While I do appreciate aesthetics, with limited funds it's not my top priority. I'd love a Bugatti, but I own a Mazda.

At the same time, my bike is old technology, and the design is likely old-school. While it feels comfortable, it's really all I know. Being titanium, it will never wear out. That's good for durability, but not so good for keeping up with cycling advances. So the question becomes, "When do the limitations of the frame make updating cycling advances near impossible?" The same can be said for my old 2011 Apple iMac. It now won't accept the newest system update. I probably have another year or two before I need to buy a new computer. Sure. The computer will continue to function, but I won't be able to keep up with technology. So for the bike, I was thinking it was time for a new one, but Tom has me reconsidering that decision.

Besides a new shiny bike that's modern looking, what will I gain, performance-wise, from an upgrade compared to putting a little money into my current bike?

• New wheels. A must. While I have very light alloy wheels - great for steep climbing - I really need some aero wheels (my TT bike as a Renn disc and an old Flo60 front). My concern is the trend towards wider. With a short chainstay and narrow chainstay width, will I be able to keep up with wheel technology? A 25mm tire is probably my max width, and that's with a narrow-width rim. I'm not sure how to resolve this problem with my current bike, or if it's something that needs fixing.
  • Disc wheels. I see the trend, and I could probably convert my frame to accept disc wheels. The question remains - should I? The bike would get heavier, not lighter. My non-disc brakes function just fine, but that's with traditional exposed brake cables.
  • Frame geometry, stiffness, and compliance. I really don't know what a new carbon frame could offer me in these areas compared to my current frame. I suspect a new frame would be better, but I don't know - nor do I know how to measure if and how a frame change would benefit me as an aging racer. What do I need that won't beat me up training, yet is efficient racing?
  • Aero. Wheels and position are most important. eTap is not only nice, but it would add to the aero benefits - fewer exposed cables. My roundish tubes are relatively thin - not ideal, but probably not too far off from the latest and greatest. New aero handlebars and seatpost would help too. Aero brakes?
  • Weight. My bike isn't heavy - I think 17-18 lbs. But it's not light either. I could get lighter bars and seatpost, but most everything else would add weight, not decrease it (e.g., disc wheels, aero wheels, eTap?). I know aero trumps weight, but I would like a light bike. This is a bit of a problem with my current frame.

Still undecided.
Last edited by: wacomme: Sep 20, 18 11:03
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Search [wacomme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts/comments on the concerns above?

New bike, or update old bike?

Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A proposal: Borrow a teammate's new bike and ride it for a few days or a week. Even rent a bike from one of the local shops. You're grossly over-thinking this and you'll clearly never be convinced by the words of people here. Go the tactile route and convince yourself (or not).
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Search [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
A proposal: Borrow a teammate's new bike and ride it for a few days or a week. Even rent a bike from one of the local shops. You're grossly over-thinking this and you'll clearly never be convinced by the words of people here. Go the tactile route and convince yourself (or not).

Good idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cerveo S3 Disc with Di2 will satisfy all your requirements. I know it's not the newest and shiniest thing, but it's still one of the best in aero and comfort combo.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Search [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK. I'll add the Cervelo to my list. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are the lightest bikes? I realize they might not be the most aero and therefore not the fastest. But perhaps they can be tweaked with wheels and the cockpit to make them almost as aero as the fastest aero bikes. For someone is is lightweight and not a crit racer, I don't need a bike that's beefy and ultra stiff. I struggle sprinting over 1000 watts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like the bang for buck you get with a Rose X-LITE Four Disc.
Light, aero, Ui2, disc brakes.
Maybe not the most flash bike out there...
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Search [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I test rode two bikes yesterday - a 2018 Venge and a 2018 Super Evo SIx.

Both bikes are a lot stiffer than my Ti bike.

2018 Venge - super stiff. Too stiff? The specs were Dura-Ace mechanical, and 64mm wheels. Stomp on the pedals and the bike moves - I liked this part of the bike. It was quick and nimble. Steering was quick - maybe too quick. It wasn't confidence inspiring coming down steep hills - though this may have been attributed to the aero wheels and some wind.

2018 Super Six - seemed like a cross between my bike and the Venge. Much more compliant, especially in the rear. Quick steering, but much more stable than the Venge. Seemed stiff, but didn't accelerate as fast as the Venge. I didn't really notice the weight, as the specs were less than the Venge and both bikes weighed about the same. This bike did not have aero wheels. More stable descender than the Venge.

Comparing the two bikes, I kinda liked the Venge better (to my surprise). However, I'm not sure if my body would like the Venge. It's very stiff. My lower back may rebel. And I have to watch the steering - my mind can't wander too much. The Venge felt like a Ferrari and the Super SIx Evo like a BMW. The Cannondale had spring to the bike, whereas the Venge seemed like a brick; I kinda felt like a kid on a pogo stick sprung so stiff so it wouldn't bounce. It moved, but it felt kinda dead.

Both bikes has disc wheels. Meh. I wasn't overly impressed, and they were somewhat noisy, more so than my Red rim brakes, and the braking wasn't improved. I can take it or leave it. The Venge seemed to be able to take wider tires - 28mm and maybe 30mm; they had 26mm tires. The Super Six Evo could maybe take 28mm tires; they had 23mm tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wacomme wrote:
I'm in no hurry. I'll probably buy a new road bike a year from now. But the search begins.

I have a 25 year-old custom Ti Vail Cycle Works road bike. SRAM Red 10-speed components. I don't have aero wheels, just very lightweight alloy wheels (I do have aero wheels on my TT bike). I'm 57 years old and race master's cat 3 - road races. I hate crits. I also race TT's, and it's what I'm best at, but that's with my TT bike. I'm looking for a new road bike to train and race road. I live in Colorado and like hills. While this bike works, and works well, I just want to upgrade.

Cost is an issue (a Madone is likely out of my price range), but not the biggest decider. I'm 6' and 150 lbs. I need to find my current stack and reach, and I know that will limit the bike choices available to me. I'm not the most limber racer, and I do have lower back issues (some pain with extended climbs).

Knowing the above, what would you suggest? I tend to keep bikes a long time (infrequent upgrades). Here's what I'm thinking:

• carbon bike
  • aero design
  • no exposed cables
  • electronic shifting
  • aero carbon wheels (maybe 60mm rear, 40 mm front)???
  • disc brakes. I'm totally undecided on this. However, since I upgrade bikes infrequently, it may be necessary due to rim brake obsolescence. Thoughts?
  • Lightweight? I know aero trumps weight, but like to climb hills, and my guess is that I'd like the "feel" of a light bike.
Bikes I think I need to explore: Cannondale Super Evo 6, Felt AR, Cannondale SuperSix, Giant Propel, Specialized Venge, Fuji Transonic?

Thoughts? Comments?

Michael

You are a younger me. I went with a Fuji Transonic with ultegra di2 shifting.

The di2 shifting is the biggest difference. I the feel benefit without ever getting used to the benefit. Whereas wheels, bike weight, etc. are things that I get used to and after a few rides seldom "feel" the benefit though they are working for me. As I'm getting older the ease of the shifting is very friendly as I have some numbness and shake in my left hand.

Aero clothing is a big benefit. I have a range of baggy and bright versus kiwami one piece or a road kit that's like a skin suit. When I put my aero clothing on, I go 1mph faster per my power meter. The aero feeling is similar to sitting on someone's wheel when dressed aero vs my regular riding kit.

The price point of a Fuji Transonic with di2 might also create some room for the other things you want too.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Search [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Michael[/quote]

You are a younger me. I went with a Fuji Transonic with ultegra di2 shifting.

The di2 shifting is the biggest difference. I the feel benefit without ever getting used to the benefit. Whereas wheels, bike weight, etc. are things that I get used to and after a few rides seldom "feel" the benefit though they are working for me. As I'm getting older the ease of the shifting is very friendly as I have some numbness and shake in my left hand.

Aero clothing is a big benefit. I have a range of baggy and bright versus kiwami one piece or a road kit that's like a skin suit. When I put my aero clothing on, I go 1mph faster per my power meter. The aero feeling is similar to sitting on someone's wheel when dressed aero vs my regular riding kit.

The price point of a Fuji Transonic with di2 might also create some room for the other things you want too.[/quote]
Yes. I need to test ride the Transonic. The price is right. When I race, and when training, my team clothing is form-fitting. I wear size small race fit Castelli. There's nothing flapping in the wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Instead of a whole new bike, I'm wondering if I should piecemeal a bike together:

1) frame - not sure if I should keep my current frame - not aero, narrow and short seatstays (probably 25mm tire max), flexy? Perhaps I need to buy a frame and add parts.

2) Wheels - I'm reading and liking the HED Jet 6+ wheels (maybe blacks).

3) Shifting - electronic - leaning towards eTap.

4) brakes - some aero. Thinking of non-disc, but maybe disc. If not disc, then which brakes so I can minimize exposed cables and keep everything as aero as possible?

5) bars/stem - what's good aero?

6) I can keep my current Quarq power meter, changing the chainrings to 11-speed (currently 10-speed).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my process of finding a new road bike, I had the chance to ride a Fuji SL a few weeks ago, with SRAM etap.

Overall, I really liked the bike - better than the Venge. It was light, nimble, and quick. And it was plenty stiff for my 145 lb. self. The main downside was the very quick steering - not as stable or tracking in a straight line as I'd like. I've read it was twitchy, and it was, but it wasn't as bad as I was reading about. Then again, the ride was only an hour.

While both the SL and Venge moved forward when the pedals were pushed, more so than my current bike, whereas the Venge felt like a solid brick, the SL felt more lively and fun. And it seems that the SL wouldn't be as punishing to my body as the Venge.

I'm sure the Venge is a faster bike, even in the foothills of Colorado, due to aerodynamics, but I liked the SL better. I really liked the lightness of the SL.

So now I'm seeking a lightweight bike like the SL, but with a bit more trail and stability. Any idea? Perhaps an aero bike is not what I want - still looking.

The eTap was nice, but I wasn't blown away with it.

Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel the need to repeat the recommendation I made earlier in this thread (post #19). I predicted that you would not like the harshness of the Venge, and I suggested that you try the Tarmac, which is designed as a light bike with aero features. If you google it and read the reviews, you will see that they have managed to make it as aero as the original venge, but without adding weight, and without sacrificing comfort. The pro disc version has all the features you're looking for, and is only 2 lbs heavier than the S-Works at almost half the price, not to mention it has an awesome paint job. Try it, you’ll like it. You're welcome.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Search [AndyCaleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyCaleb wrote:
I feel the need to repeat the recommendation I made earlier in this thread (post #19). I predicted that you would not like the harshness of the Venge, and I suggested that you try the Tarmac, which is designed as a light bike with aero features. If you google it and read the reviews, you will see that they have managed to make it as aero as the original venge, but without adding weight, and without sacrificing comfort. The pro disc version has all the features you're looking for, and is only 2 lbs heavier than the S-Works at almost half the price, not to mention it has an awesome paint job. Try it, you’ll like it. You're welcome.

I agree I wouldn't bother with the Venge. I would highly recommend trying out a Tarmac instead. The 2018 Tarmac is almost as aero as the 2018 Venge and is much lighter, comfortable and nimble. The Venge does feel like a brick compared to the Tarmac.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Search [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good suggestion. I'm making arrangements to test ride a Tarmac. I love the S-Works version, but it's likely too expensive. I think the Specialized version has the same feel, just heavier (unfortunately).

In the meantime I've test ridden two more bikes:

Felt FR3: very stable. Goes in straight line with no thought. Easy to ride downhill. A bit more tippy on steep uphills at low speed - an ok climber, but not great. Stiff with some compliance. Solid and predictable. Nice, but nothing spectacular.

An 8-10 year-old Trek Madone: I have a crack in my Ti frame (at the rear dropout) - same location as the crack I had a year ago that was "supposedly" fixed; I'm waiting to hear back from a Ti framebuilder to have it repaired. A teammate offered to lend me his old bike today for the team ride. While an older model Madone, it seemed to have the "Madone" feel. I liked it a lot. It was nimble and quick, descent climbing and acceleration, and it was very predictable in a group and at speed. More than my solo rides testing new bikes, todays group ride made me realize how much better the newer bikes are when it comes to feel and handling. Unlike my Ti bike, I felt completely relaxed and comfortable riding should to shoulder with teammates, and there was no nervousness on fast downhills. The bike felt predictable and stable, something I'm realizing my Ti bike doesn't have; I thought it was me having trouble riding in close proximity to other riders or descending at speed, but now I'm thinking it's more the bike. The Madone made me feel completely confident in group and at speed. And while I liked the older Madone, I believe other higher end bikes would give me the same feeling in group rides - or racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would also look at taking a test ride on the BMC Teammachine. Often a bike overlooked........
Last edited by: MKirk: Oct 28, 18 5:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wacomme wrote:
An 8-10 year-old Trek Madone: I have a crack in my Ti frame (at the rear dropout) - same location as the crack I had a year ago that was "supposedly" fixed; I'm waiting to hear back from a Ti framebuilder to have it repaired. A teammate offered to lend me his old bike today for the team ride. While an older model Madone, it seemed to have the "Madone" feel. I liked it a lot. It was nimble and quick, descent climbing and acceleration, and it was very predictable in a group and at speed. More than my solo rides testing new bikes, todays group ride made me realize how much better the newer bikes are when it comes to feel and handling. Unlike my Ti bike, I felt completely relaxed and comfortable riding should to shoulder with teammates, and there was no nervousness on fast downhills. The bike felt predictable and stable, something I'm realizing my Ti bike doesn't have; I thought it was me having trouble riding in close proximity to other riders or descending at speed, but now I'm thinking it's more the bike. The Madone made me feel completely confident in group and at speed. And while I liked the older Madone, I believe other higher end bikes would give me the same feeling in group rides - or racing.

Actually, I just went from a 2009 Madone to the new Tarmac (Yes, in case that bias wasn't blatantly obvious from my posts, I did recently buy a Tarmac). The Tarmac is definitely more on the twitchy/responsive side compared to the madone. I like it because it feels more like a real race bike. If you find you prefer the handling of the madone, I understand that in their current lineup it's actually the Trek Edmonda that has the most similar geometry to the old Madone.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Search [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I completely concur. Such a better ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Search [Tward] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tward wrote:
I completely concur. Such a better ride.

I plan to test ride a Tarmac soon.
Quote Reply

Prev Next