Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strava Twitch Hunt [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m willing to be bet these are all legit. I have a similar rider living in my area. Already put in over 10000 miles this year. Dude is constantly putting out 100 mile rides and averaging big watts and completely crushing local KOMs in the process. Dude is an amateur cyclist and cycling coach so he is always training and just a monster rider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can find out what weight class he's in and then we can figure out his watts/kg.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Twitch Hunt [newManUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
newManUK wrote:
Have you considered not caring!

Hilarious, made me laugh out loud. Well said
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are KOM's by me that have been taken by people using E-bikes and a couple even using mopeds. I've lost some of my running KOM to folks on bikes.

I use a remote farm two-track for hill intervals. I had to drive my car back there to get to it. In the history of Strava, Garmin, anything nobody has ever been there. It's just steep for hill intervals. No other trails. Within a month two runners showed up. Looking at their data, they only did one run up the hill. Their only goal was to take KOM. Think about that. They made a conscious decision to get in a car and drive to a hidden farm hill just to run up it once and get KOM. I was thinking of trolling them by just using my car and taking their KOM away.

I compare my own results to past segments. Too many other factors can play into it. I have one KOM because it was a crazy ass windy day, I was on my tri bike going with the wind. Full on aero wheel and aero helmet. I crushed the KOM. Under normal conditions no way would I come close to KOM. I was just out testing bike before race.

Quote | Reply
I took five KOM’s on my last ride, but some of his are just soul crushing.i once attempted one of his with a slight tailwind. It was about 4 Miles. As soon as I started losing ground I would push
harder and I kept losing time. It made me wonder how the hell anyone could ever overtake him. When it was said and done, I was close to sixty seconds off.

Economist wrote:
There are KOM's by me that have been taken by people using E-bikes and a couple even using mopeds. I've lost some of my running KOM to folks on bikes.

I use a remote farm two-track for hill intervals. I had to drive my car back there to get to it. In the history of Strava, Garmin, anything nobody has ever been there. It's just steep for hill intervals. No other trails. Within a month two runners showed up. Looking at their data, they only did one run up the hill. Their only goal was to take KOM. Think about that. They made a conscious decision to get in a car and drive to a hidden farm hill just to run up it once and get KOM. I was thinking of trolling them by just using my car and taking their KOM away.

I compare my own results to past segments. Too many other factors can play into it. I have one KOM because it was a crazy ass windy day, I was on my tri bike going with the wind. Full on aero wheel and aero helmet. I crushed the KOM. Under normal conditions no way would I come close to KOM. I was just out testing bike before race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I often jump into my car when I really want to smash some local KOMs...usually try for ~5-6% improvement on the incumbent - what this guy was risque!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strava KOMs are already difficult to police given the ways people can cheat on them without ever being caught (car/moto drafting, PEDs, tow rope?, etc) but with proliferation of e-bikes, they are going to get even harder to police. I used to care about CRs (because I can go for segments in running, but not in cycling...) until I got sick of flagging so many running segments done with bikes, even one I am pretty sure was done on roller skates... so I just stopped caring. Now, I only care for CRs/KOMs within my local tri club which is tough enough for me with a stupid fast dutch guy. At least I know these people and know they won't cheat.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He could just be a really big, strong dude, who rides a ton and pushes a crapton of watts.

Or, his PM could be wonky. This is my vote.
No way to really 'know' how accurate those wattage readings are via Strava.

Or he could be "e-doping" somehow?

There's a large, very strong rider down in my old 'hood, who occasionally goes out on a rampage and takes down numerous KOM's in a given ride.
Worst part is - about 1-2x a year, he'll do this on the MTB trails, which are often quite technical in addition to all the climbing, etc - and he CRUSHES the prior KOM's by substantial margins.
Consecutively, in one continuous ride of destruction.

Unless he's on a KTM 450, I have no idea how that could possibly be faked.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it bothers you that much, why not just politely ask about his data in the comments section of his ride?

The speeds look plausible if you consider ideal conditions or maybe drafting a truck. Power numbers could be suspect...but wonky power data is not all that uncommon if you don't take the time to zero offset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So super fast guy took some segment KOMS with a high heart rate..... twitch hunt????? are you new to strava?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I recently upgraded to Strava Summit and I have the analysis pack. I've been running live segments and have taken several KOM's, but have noticed a fellow cyclist that is super talented has a bevy of KOM's in our area. The guy is a total beast as he put in around 13,000 miles on the bike last year. Many of the KOM's he took were highly contested and very difficult. To say the least, he smashed and obliterated them to the point that no one will ever touch them. Some of his KOM's look reasonable, whereas others I seriously question the data. Could there be a chance that something is not right? Here are just a few that I question:

1. 1.5mi, 41ft., -0.4%, 35.2mph, 168bpm, 918w
2. 3.9mi, 73ft., 0%, 34.1mph, 170bpm, 872w
3. 1.2mi, 35ft, -0.3%, 33mph, 169bpm, 816w
4. 22.2mi, 159ft, 0%, 25mph, 171bpm, 423w
5. 4.3mi, 46ft, -0.1%, 28.7mph, 171bpm, 561w

The watts are just off the charts! Especially holding those watts for such durations. The area we live in is really hilly, so the elevation gain may be nominal, but overall these are not flat rides, which is also a factor for holding absurd speed.

Some of his KOM's do look legit, but some just don't look right. On the first one, the guy in second has an average speed of 31.8mph at 351w. He completely crushed him by 3.4mph average. I'm just wondering if I'm missing something or if this data is totally suspect. Another thing is they wouldn't be tailwind assisted based on the watts being pushed. As well, he knocked down five of these in one ride at a time. Holy hell!!!

I'd like to give some of these a crack, but realistically many he took are totally unattainable for just about anyone in my opinion.

deja vu

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ava_doping_P6099970/

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...va%20doping#p6551892

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...va%20doping#p5769992

newManUK wrote:
Have you considered not caring!

Perfect! I wish I could... Jason's right-just reach out to the rider in a comment.

You should not rely on anyone else's power numbers unless you know their weight and their skill level. Link the strava account. Heart rate data helps a bit for verification. And power meters are not perfect and can give crazy data, which should be edited. Calibration failure and less good devices (PM's) are a form of bad data in>bad data out.

I ride in an area with a bunch of cat 1's and when they group ride, they can crush all the KOM's that have been there for years. Super big W/kg. Drafting vehicles, electronic rides or other stuff is also just so sad. And IMO, wind doping is still cheating.

But the race is still within ourselves. Set new PR's for yourself and worry less about KOM's in strava-land.
Last edited by: dtoce: Sep 18, 18 12:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Perhaps that could be part of the answer. I figured you’d be pushing more watts into the wind, but if it’s virtual power it could be skewed the other way. He rides with a power meter, so I’m not sure.

One of my friends says he
took them in the winter when we had hurricane force winds.

gregf83 wrote:
Could be estimated power which will look high if you have a tailwind.
Flat KOMs aren't a valid measure of performance. Not worth worrying about.

How do you know he rides with a power meter? Because it says, "...based on a data from a power meter" on the Strava activity? Because there is a lightning bolt next to the activity when listed in the KOM results page? Or because you have physically seen the power meter on his bike?

I only ask because there are ways to make it look as though you are riding with a PM in Strava even though you are not. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but it involves using HR data, speed, and your weight to display "power" on your head unit on real time. I ride with a guy that does not have a PM but uses this HR, speed, and weight method on his head unit. If a power number is being logged in the head unit as he rides, it makes sense that the power number will get uploaded to Strava as if it's from a real PM. The power graph in the resulting Strava activity will visually look exactly like mine (purple line, not the black line you get from estimated power and doesn't say "estimated power").

Now let's assume my riding buddy is crushing a flat straight 5-mile segment doing 35 mph at max HR with a 30 mph tailwind. The simulated watts on his head unit (and in Strava) don't take wind into account when they are calcuated, so they are likely going to be 800+ watts. When he uploads the ride to Strava, it'll look as though he's using a PM. Complete with lightning bolt in the results page and purple (not black) power line in the graph.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Befriend the guy and ride with him. That'll tell you real quick if those KOMs are legit or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Twitch Hunt [TNTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TNTRI wrote:
I’m willing to be bet these are all legit. I have a similar rider living in my area. Already put in over 10000 miles this year. Dude is constantly putting out 100 mile rides and averaging big watts and completely crushing local KOMs in the process. Dude is an amateur cyclist and cycling coach so he is always training and just a monster rider.

That power is in no way legit.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Twitch Hunt [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
NO ONE is doing 872 watts for 3.9 miles, especially on flat ground.

Pretty clear to me this guy just really knows how to train... He's optimizing his pedal stroke with Power Cranks, priming with his Halo headphones, running elliptical chainrings, ingesting the correct amount of caffeine, lathering his entire body in Topical Edge, eating only wafers made of whey protein, creatine and BCAAs, chugging beet juice right and left and then chasing it with ketones, downing bicarb to explosive results, recovering with his Marc Pro AND Normatecs simultaneously, sleeping in an altitude tent at night and wearing an altitude mask to work by day, and wearing compression gear head to toe 24/7, interrupted only by thrice-daily massages.

Stop being such haters, guys.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Twitch Hunt [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
ridenfish39 wrote:

Pretty clear to me this guy just really knows how to train... He's optimizing his pedal stroke with Power Cranks, priming with his Halo headphones, running elliptical chainrings, ingesting the correct amount of caffeine, lathering his entire body in Topical Edge, eating only wafers made of whey protein, creatine and BCAAs, chugging beet juice right and left and then chasing it with ketones, downing bicarb to explosive results, recovering with his Marc Pro AND Normatecs simultaneously, sleeping in an altitude tent at night and wearing an altitude mask to work by day, and wearing compression gear head to toe 24/7, interrupted only by thrice-daily massages.

Quoted for truth (and being epic) :)
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Twitch Hunt [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
ridenfish39 wrote:

And cbd oil /pink
Quote Reply

Prev Next