Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What are you reading? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
Picked up "Fear" by Bob Woodward last Wednesday morning. The bookstore had already sold eighty copies that morning. I'm about a half way through it and should have it finished in two or three days. Fascinating what a shit show Trump's WH has been.

Forgot to mention, I'm also at the same time reading "Clymer's Kawasaki KZ, Z & ZX750 1980-85 Service, Repair and Maintenance Manual" since one of my this year winter projects is restoring a 1984 KZ Kawasaki 750. Very technical and interesting and a nice break at times from Woodward's book on Trump.
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read for entertainment and escape, I want to be told a good story. Books I read usually have a wizard, dragon, cowboy or alien in them.

I'm finishing up Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. I grew up watching the original Planet of the Apes movies. I just read Planet of the Apes, Tales from the Forbidden Zone. A collection of short stories inspired from the movies and TV show.

I like a good detective mystery too. I liked the Eddie Lacrosse novels, sort of a hard boiled detective set in a fantasy world of wizards and magic by Alex Bledsoe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Well-Built Triathlete by Matt Dixon. The chapter on cycling in triathlon has been the most interesting part, so far.
Last edited by: bacamacho: Sep 17, 18 21:52
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You read Philip kerr?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tend to switch back and forth between fact and fiction. Currently on Endure: Mind, Body and the Curiously Elastic Limits of Human Performance by Alex Hutchinson. Then switching back to Malazan Book of the Fallen which I'm about a third of the way through (book 4 I think)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
Picked up "Fear" by Bob Woodward last Wednesday morning. The bookstore had already sold eighty copies that morning. I'm about a half way through it and should have it finished in two or three days. Fascinating what a shit show Trump's WH has been.

I can't honestly imagine much that I would less want to read than that book right now. I guess some people don't get enough of it on the news and in the LR.

I tend to read for entertainment, since I do enough professional reading and work long enough hours that I want some escape. I generally stick with science fiction. I'm reading through the Lost Fleet series right now which are ok. Fairly quick reads. The Murderbot Diaries novellas are decent as well.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Football for a Buck - Jeff Pearlman's entertaining look at the short-lived history of the USFL.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Sellout - Paul Beatty
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [bacamacho] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Well-Built Triathlete by Matt Dixon. The chapter on cycling in triathlon has been the most interesting part, so far.

Paging Blep.

Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [ols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ols wrote:
The Sellout - Paul Beatty

I loved it, laughed on nearly every page. "dark skinned volunteers"
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

I can't honestly imagine much that I would less want to read than that book right now. I guess some people don't get enough of it on the news and in the LR.

I tend to read for entertainment, since I do enough professional reading and work long enough hours that I want some escape. I generally stick with science fiction. I'm reading through the Lost Fleet series right now which are ok. Fairly quick reads. The Murderbot Diaries novellas are decent as well.

The book fills in a lot of behind the scene gaps that aren't in the news and the LR. I just wanted to be more informed when I post anything about the Trump administration on the LR. Its also quite an interesting read.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fate is The Hunter. by Ernest K Gann.

Excellent, brilliantly written story of early flying. 1930's, through WW2, into early airlines etc. Gripping and brilliant.

and I'm listening to "Fear" in the car, because I'm addicted to the Trump shitshow.
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Let me know what you think of this one. We read it for my book club last year. Lots to think about in it.

I'm not done yet but some observations;

• I've traveled in a lot of 3rd world countries and the inner cities of some of the U.S cities are 3rd world countries.
  • Hard to believe that you can have multi-billionaires and people who can't pay rent in the same city, let alone the same country. The system is broken.
  • Once you're in poverty, its really hard to get out. You have learned behavior and broken institutions working against you.
  • Poverty runs in families.
  • Poor people often make bad decisions, over and over and over again.
  • The relative cost of housing in poor neighborhoods is a big problem and landlord's making a fortune off poor people is being ignored.

Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just ordered this based on this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read mostly sci fi, just finished re reading one of my own unfinished novels, "The Lass" with an eye to getting back to work on it. It's about an orphan girl who has the ability to understand and speak any language.

Currently reading an old (1975) Alan Dean Foster Novel called Midworld, I've read it before but like a movie buff I can read a book more than once.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much echos my thoughts. Wait until you get to the trailer park section.

Quote:
The relative cost of housing in poor neighborhoods is a big problem and landlord's making a fortune off poor people is being ignored.

I was really shocked that the worst were the landlords who were not born with a silver spoon in their mouths, but rather, people who came from close to the same background, screwing over their own people. Plus, the court system, and even for those trying to better themselves, hold down a job and get out of poverty, it's like they are running through quicksand.

I thought it was a very eye opening book.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Legacy - 15 Lessons in Leadership. 'What the All Blacks can teach us about the business of Life'

I have a ton of leadership books....this one may be the very best. And....I've always loved Richie McCaw, so that makes it even better.
Quote Reply

Prev Next