Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vacation ideas for New Years
Quote | Reply
We had vacation plans for around Thanksgiving but looks like I will be having surgery on my shoulder the first week of November so those plans are pretty much screwed.

We are trying to figure out somewhere to go during the week and a half after Christmas (Dec 26-Jan 4 timeframe). Basically a New Years trip. Obviously, I'm going to be less than two months removed from surgery so anything active and adventurous is out of the question. I guess somewhere touristy with nice sightseeing makes sense because I won't be able to do much beyond walking around.

8-10 days isn't enough time to do Australia, New Zealand, or Asia any justice. So not really a great option.

Warm weather resort in Hawaii or Caribbean are always an option but I will once again be limited in my abilities to play in the ocean.

Cruise is always an easy and lazy option but we have been on two cruises in the last year.

We have never been to Europe. That's the most intriguing to me. Although it will be cold as shit on most of the continent. Germany during Christmas time looks magical but we'd be there after Christmas and I heard it dies down a lot. So we'd be looking at Europe during New Years. Seems Berlin is at the top of most "Best Places" during New Years. It would be me, wife, and 13 year old son. So not looking for some epic night of binge drinking.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Sep 17, 18 3:29
Quote Reply
Re: Vacation ideas for New Years [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
London. You can spend a month there and still hot see enough. A few years back my Wife and I went there for an anniversary trip. We were married Jan 5, so being there in January was cold, but enjoyable. Was actually one of the coldest weeks on record there, but the days were fine.

While I have only been do London twice, because of what it has to offer, it is up high on my favorite places. I would say it is a toss up between it and Tokyo as my favorite city. It has it all, art, history, military museums, music, theater, sports, ... And you always have day trips.

And you have those direct flights from Houston.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might still be seeing a PT by Christmas. Your PT is just as important a your surgeon. I wouldn't leave PT early to go sit in the sun. Why not go for a trip before the surgery?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Vacation ideas for New Years [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
London also makes it easier on my wife and son since they're not adventurous when it comes to eating and speaking a foreign language. :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Vacation ideas for New Years [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
You might still be seeing a PT by Christmas. Your PT is just as important a your surgeon. I wouldn't leave PT early to go sit in the sun. Why not go for a trip before the surgery?

I would definitely still be in PT but I can bring stretch cords or whatever and do some of it from elsewhere.

I can't go before surgery. I have work commitments between now through the end of October.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paris or Rome. I would lean towards Italy. Warmer, cheaper and more to do outside. Language should not be an issue. Learn a few simple phrases please and thankyou etc.

If you do Rome I would suggest half the time in Rome and half in Florence. Rome for the ruins Florence for the art. Even if you just stayed in Rome ruins and art would be fabulous. Aside from New Years day and eve I think most museums would be open. Shouldn't be hard to find out with the internets.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's up to you but I wouldn't mess with my PT. I've had a lot of orthopedic surgeries, including bilateral hip replacements. I was dedicated to my PT after and I got 100% great results. I talk to a lot of people who didn't get great results and it seems like every one of them skipped out on PT. There are just a lot of things that you can't do without the right equipment.

I'm guessing that you want to be swimming again for next seson. Dedicate yourself to this recovery and you might be there.

It's you decision, best of luck with it!

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paris. I have friends who go every year for New Year's. Or, Rio if you want heat.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chances are weather in London could be awful

But

Perhaps you might consider Europe by train

Fly in to London, Xmas in London is awesome, on to Paris by train - 3-4 hours

You can go to Brussels for a day or two - we did a NY there and it was awesome

Id then consider the three snow trains in winter. Chamonix to martigny the mont blanc express. Amazing scenery. And a day or two in cham.

Then martigny to zermatt, see the matterhorn. Then glacier express to St moritz.

St moritz to italy on thr bernina express. Down to Milan and fly home

Winter in Europe is amazing in thr alps even if you don't ski

Good food. Walking etc

Alternatively London, Paris, Brussels and Austria or germany

To be honest. With a week I'd probably just do London and paris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I go to Europe a lot during that time mainly because work locks the doors. Yes, its cold, but its nice. I love to travel on Christmas day, flights are cheaper, and airports aren't crowded. Be weary of where you fly into though, as the 26th is still a holiday in some countries, this might just be Ireland and the UK though. Some places do keep the Christmas markets and related stuff going until new years, Rome is one, so is Prague. Don't try to go to too many cities though, it might sound like a good idea, but it really kind of sucks traveling all the time and never really settling into a city. I personally have a 3 night minimum in any city when I travel, and I have never been sad about staying in a major city for 5 or 6 nights.

all that being said, if you want Europe but not snow, I agree with the Rome/Florence combo someone else said. Other Combos I have done that I liked are London/Paris traveling through the chunnel and Paris-Brussels-Amsterdam traveling between on the high speed trains. Also renting a car and driving around Ireland is fun, doing that I would knock down the 3 night rule to 2 nights is okay sometimes.
Last edited by: tfleeger: Sep 17, 18 10:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paris and Reims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barcelona and points south.
Last edited by: knewbike: Sep 17, 18 11:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go to Northern Norway for Northern Lights, we were in Tromso last February, Likely you'd miss out on the daytime stuff like dog sledding, but the kid would love it. :). And plenty else to do, just don't slip on the ice and fall on your shoulder. Could also hit up other Norway towns, Oslo, or go to Sweden, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still looking out for your shoulder. How about South Beach? My wife an I went there a couple of years ago for S Beach Tri and really had a ball even though we're not drinkers or late night people. Your PT could contact another PT in Miami and you wouldn't have to miss your sessions.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of the Winter Wonderland thing, so:

Lake Tahoe (CA or NV sides);
Mammoth, CA;
Banff/Lake Louise, AB.

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have been to Europe three of the last four Christmas', thankfully the daughter lives in Spain

2014 Tarragonna, Madrid and Barcelona, great time great food decent weather. Took the high speed train to each location

2015 London, a little cold but manageable, easy to get around on the Underground, food is decent. Went to a Football game on Boxing day Go SPURS.

2017 Split between Paris and London. Paris was cold and rainy most of the time, people were friendly food was great . We went to Euro Disney Christmas Day. We took the Chunnel to London, great times not as cold as 2015, no football games this year. On New Years Eve we took the Underground up one stop from our flat and watched a great firework show from the Vauxhaul Bridge.

Highly recommend AirbnB for your accomodations

Look for a tour group called Sandemans. https://www.neweuropetours.eu/# They offer "free" tours of the city, they are paid by the tips they receive. Great tours well informed and they know the ins and outs of the city and the attractions, we were able to purchase tickets to the Louvre the day before we planned on going which meant we didn't have to get up early to get the tickets for later that day.

Start looking/booking your itinerary now. This year we are meeting in Milan then to Rome, from Milan we have day trips planned to Turin and to Lucerne. Hopefully we will be able to see Inter Milan v Napoli.

European transportation is real good, we were able to walk or take the local metro to most to the sites we visited, a few times we did have to use Uber, like the day we visited the Eifel Tower and it was Cold, Rainy and WINDY. This year we are renting a car for the side trip to Turin and Lucerne

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Berlin. Do not come here for New Years Eve, it’s terrible and often times dangerous. Berliners go crazy with cheap fireworks, including shooting them at people on the street. A few years ago I was “hit” and my jacket caught on fire. The noise and volume of garbage created by this event is a disgusting display of mankind.

But if you want to visit before New Years, then it’s great! Please let me know if I can help you with anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Vacation ideas for New Years [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
Start looking/booking your itinerary now. This year we are meeting in Milan then to Rome, from Milan we have day trips planned to Turin and to Lucerne. Hopefully we will be able to see Inter Milan v Napoli.
Enjoy Turin. Several times there for work. Be sure to go to Grom for gelato. Egyptian Museum is quality stuff. And Turin is great for food and the chocolate shops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Good stuff.

Booking now is the big concern. Last minute and holiday season could be an issue.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You want any info on London, where to stay, eat, visit let me know
Quote Reply
Re: Vacation ideas for New Years [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4-5 days each in London and Paris seems to be the option we are looking at right now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see on another thread a lot discussion about vacationing at Kona in Hawaii, might be a place to look into.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me know. I can give you the what's what for one of them
Quote Reply
Re: Vacation ideas for New Years [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
I see on another thread a lot discussion about vacationing at Kona in Hawaii, might be a place to look into.

I’ve been to Kona three times. :-)

Quote Reply