Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Raising sustainable power on tri bike
Quote | Reply
Hello good people of ST,

long time lurker here, finally need to ask advice myself. I'm reviewing my race year and am struggling to make sense of the season / plans for the off-season training. It seems like my power output on my tri bike is rather low compared to my road bike performance. I've spent most of my training year about 50/50 between road bike on trainer (TrainerRoad) and long weekend rides outdoor on my tri bike. I've now put the tri back on the trainer and take the roadie outdoors and find that I'm way down on power. Contrary to the road bike, my legs turn blue long before I run out of air on the tri. My FTP (TR 20 min & ramp test) is about 267, I regularly hold 200+ NP on group rides and recently did a 100k road race at 230NP, so the watts should be there. However, in barely exceed 175NP on my tri bike (year best HIM 175NP, IM 172NP).

I guess this is a neuro-muscular thing and that my pedaling dynamics are subpar on the tri bike. And I wonder what the best way to improve would be. Short high power intervals? Sweet spot intervals? LSD (probably not because that's what I did all year on the TT)? Either way, it seem that I better spend the next months raising my tri bike power instead of chasing pure FTP gains.

I am aware that my fit is probably sacrificing some power for aero, comfort and handling, but I am very very happy with my position and cda (4:55 in Hamburg at 165NP, 5:21 in Roth at 172NP) and don't want to risk any major changes.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

TY
Quote Reply
Re: Raising sustainable power on tri bike [Jurislas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have pictures of your position? Giving up a few watts isn’t out of the ordinary, but something is wrong with that many. Same power meter on both bikes? You need to figure out why there is a discrepancy that isn’t normal first before figuring out how to fix it.
Quote Reply
Re: Raising sustainable power on tri bike [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea I know, it is a pretty unnerving gap. I am using the same favero power meter on both bikes. I am not always updating crank length data when I switch bikes (170mm on tri, 172.5 mm on road), but that's a few % uncertainty and should not account for the entire gap.

Picture
https://imgur.com/a/cGvNZ0a
Quote Reply
Re: Raising sustainable power on tri bike [Jurislas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not so much position, but location. I cDead people. It's the spirits stuck between worlds that are holding you back on your tri bike.

Quote Reply