Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Option In Your Hydration Arsenal: SpeedSip [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People love this saying around here. Look I’m not saying this thing is gonna save you minutes but in a sport where we are looking for minor improvements in every product I see potential here. It is annoying—again, I’m keeping this in perspective—-to tilt a bottle up and crane your neck etc when riding in aerobars. That’s a legitimate annoyance at least for me. This appears to help. So I think the overused saying is again inapplicable here.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Sep 17, 18 22:35
Re: New Option In Your Hydration Arsenal: SpeedSip [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks windschatten and DFW_Tri,

Please keep in mind: SpeedSip will be in the disposable price range.
If its usage will reach a certain level (10%=> 20%=>30% =>???) among triathletes we can approach race organizers to stock it at aid stations.
Then 1.) Throw the empty; 2.) Grab a full one; 3.) Done.
Of course, race organizers should provide reasonable garbage collection/recycling after the race.

SpeedSip from BTS. You can keep it next to your face like a cell phone. But don't talk, just drink ( :)) !

Quote Reply
Re: New Option In Your Hydration Arsenal: SpeedSip [pszedlacsek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm generally not one to rain on peoples' parades when they're trying to get all innovative with new products, so first off... hats off to you for trying. That said, I'm not sure I understand the product strategy. I can't really see how you're going to convince PepsiCo (parent of Gatorade) to replace their $0.00000001 plastic top with a $15 top (and redesign their bottle to accomodate it) for every bottle of Gatorade that's served on course in a triathlon. Barring that, will race organizers be responsible for transferring the 20,000 or so bottles of gatorade from the bottles they are delivered in by PepsiCo into new bottles with SpeedSip tops on them? That seems unlikely. Then you have the whole issue of throwing away thousands of these things after every race. I'm struggling to see how this is a disposable product in any way at all. Functionally, it's not my thing at all, as I've never had an issue drinking from either a regular bottle or a Gatorade bottle while in the aero bars, but that's neither here no there. If you can't figure out a product/sales strategy everything else is somewhat secondary.
Quote Reply
Re: New Option In Your Hydration Arsenal: SpeedSip [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your comments.
SpeedSip will be available as a complete unit: bottle body and cap.
Any one can have it who wants to carry water bottle either as primary resource / extra capacity / separate container for specialties.
Although its price will be in the "disposable range" it should not have to be disposed.
Actually, it is very easy to clean an re-use. The cap can be disassembled and washed. Even the membrane can be replaced.
There are no hidden spaces, inner structures, tubing, whatsoever.

Quote Reply
Re: New Option In Your Hydration Arsenal: SpeedSip [pszedlacsek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pszedlacsek wrote:
Thanks for your comments.
SpeedSip will be available as a complete unit: bottle body and cap.
Any one can have it who wants to carry water bottle either as primary resource / extra capacity / separate container for specialties.
Although its price will be in the "disposable range" it should not have to be disposed.
Actually, it is very easy to clean an re-use. The cap can be disassembled and washed. Even the membrane can be replaced.
There are no hidden spaces, inner structures, tubing, whatsoever.

I love this idea. ship me some and I can spread the word for you and help you promote.
Save by not selling as a complete unit, (we all have too many bottles) sell caps and stickers. Forget the bottles.

That being said.... I can't see this working when swapping out bottles at an aid station.

Grow with data: Dynamic Sports Data | eBay store
Quote Reply
Re: New Option In Your Hydration Arsenal: SpeedSip [D_PRC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dear D_PRC,

Thanks for your comment, help and your offer.

I absolutely agree with you: the novelty of SpeedSip is only in the cap and dealing with the cap only would make your, mine and everybody else's life easier.

Unfortunately, the cycling water bottle is not a strictly controlled and standardized product. As a screaming example please consider the bottles in the picture enclosed below. I bought all of them in USA. All of them are cycling water bottle! Look how the shoulders are differing that supposed to keep the bottle in the cage. It is not so visible but the story is the same with the cap thread. There are a few "families" that are obviously different but even within the same "family" there are annoying variations. I searched countless bike shops and tested even more bottles and I came to the (painful) conclusion:

In order to make sure that SpeedSip will work it should come as a complete unit.

I selected a the most common thread to fit and the best bottle shape to minimize "rocket launching". I do not want any one risking his/her "race of my life" due to a wrong bottle cap.
If you or any one else who get this deep in this post has any idea to how to bypass this; I am open to any suggestion.
SpeedSip will be a product only if it has added value.

Thanks again and keep in touch.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's definitely a threading that a lot of water bottles use. That's how the Speedfil A2 can be used on other bottles.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pszedlacsek wrote:
Dear D_PRC,

Thanks for your comment, help and your offer.

I absolutely agree with you: the novelty of SpeedSip is only in the cap and dealing with the cap only would make your, mine and everybody else's life easier.

Unfortunately, the cycling water bottle is not a strictly controlled and standardized product. As a screaming example please consider the bottles in the picture enclosed below. I bought all of them in USA. All of them are cycling water bottle! Look how the shoulders are differing that supposed to keep the bottle in the cage. It is not so visible but the story is the same with the cap thread. There are a few "families" that are obviously different but even within the same "family" there are annoying variations. I searched countless bike shops and tested even more bottles and I came to the (painful) conclusion:

In order to make sure that SpeedSip will work it should come as a complete unit.

I selected a the most common thread to fit and the best bottle shape to minimize "rocket launching". I do not want any one risking his/her "race of my life" due to a wrong bottle cap.
If you or any one else who get this deep in this post has any idea to how to bypass this; I am open to any suggestion.
SpeedSip will be a product only if it has added value.

Thanks again and keep in touch.

Makes sense, I too have many water bottles with varying sized lids and standards.

Gatorade bottle vs F2C bottle. My F2C bottle sucks.

Grow with data: Dynamic Sports Data | eBay store
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least three other people have mentioned this in the thread and you have yet to respond to their comments, I'm hoping you will to this. Please explain why anyone, any environment, any municipality putting on a race need thousands more throw-away plastic bottles when the oceans are rolling in plastic already and we're eating it in our food on a regular basis. It's not enough to come up with a product that is useful when your solution for refilling is to just throw it away. I don't think that's a strategy that will be very successful anywhere. If that's not your strategy then please explain how you're going to handle the recycling issue and how you're not going to be adding to plastic waste.
Quote Reply
Re: New Option In Your Hydration Arsenal: SpeedSip [GrisGris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrisGris

I agree and I also prefer fish than plastic from the ocean.
Racers will bring their SpeedSip to the event and and take it back home like they are doing now with their regular water bottle.
The "its price is disposable" means cheap but not in any way should it be disposed. If this was not clear, sorry, my bad.

It SpeedSip will be popular I can see the following scenario at aid station:
You leave your "non-branded" empty SpeedSip at the station pick up a new SpeedSip that is full and branded with the name, date of the race, ads of the local race sponsors, etc.
I am sure folks will hold on to this which means everybody will do the "garbage collection" happily and voluntarily.
The help station would work rather like an exchange station (one in - one out) = no net change. (Actually, this is recycling.)
This would result in way much less garbage than the present day "give away and throw away" system driven by big vendors.

For this;
A.) SpeedSip will be strictly standardized, you will pick up the same what you left.
B.) SpeedSip will be cheap that you won't feel risking too much with the exchange, you will be willing to do it.

I am sure this will be good for planet Earth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the gripe many folks have with self marketing forum posters. Pretty much nothing gets contributed and there is just fishing for customers, and often when they finally see success, these folks often then shit on slowtwitch and the forum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And what is done with all the bottles left at aid stations? No race is going to collect them all and wash them to be reused.
Quote Reply
Re: New Option In Your Hydration Arsenal: SpeedSip [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dear Herbert,

Don’t take me wrong! SpeedSip is not a product! It is an idea.
I turned to this forum because the members have immeasurable knowledge about triathlon.
My first contribution is a question: Look, here is a new type of water bottle. Does it make sense?

Another important point: I am not a company.
My second contribution is a suggestion: If there is enough interest then a crowd funding project can be organized. Triathletes, this community can support something that will be good for them. Basically, this is the only way to bring this to life.
Otherwise, me and a few of my friends will use the prototypes until they last because, honestly, it is much better to drink out of it.

I am asking yours and everybody else’s advice and I trust in the collective wisdom of Slowtwich.

Regards,
Peter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw Lagerstrom racing with this. It's a great idea! Is it still just a prototype? I would like to try it out. I'm not fully satisfied with the filling procedure of an integrated hydration system. When racing I don't want to play that filling game and lose precious time, focus and I don't want to get out of my rhytm what can cause several minutes loss. I'm very curious about maeasuring the two way to myself for a 70.3. Anyone can estimate the difference between the two way of drinking at the 70.3 or the full distance?
Quote Reply
Re: New Option In Your Hydration Arsenal: SpeedSip [Tyler54] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Several minutes loss for a 10second exercise to fill your bta when you have to sit up to get a bottle at an aid station and your still pedalling just out of aero? I seriously don't get how this is any advantage over a standard bottle???
Quote Reply
Re: New Option In Your Hydration Arsenal: SpeedSip [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Several minutes loss for a 10second exercise to fill your bta when you have to sit up to get a bottle at an aid station and your still pedalling just out of aero? I seriously don't get how this is any advantage over a standard bottle???

I mean several minutes because of loosing focus and rhytm... Btw no one can avoid using a 'normal bottle'. I usually carry 3 for a long distance race, 2 behind the saddle, it is proven to be aerodinamically faster than riding without anything behind you. It seems obvious that you can be better off with the speedsip, it lets you hold both the bottle and your head more comfortable. It can be perfect for holding my extra gels since I don’t need to replace that bottle at the aid station during the race. I'd definitely like to try and find it out what is the smoothest and fastest way of drinking/refilling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Kickstarter page is up - https://www.kickstarter.com/...ct&term=speedsip

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: New Option In Your Hydration Arsenal: SpeedSip [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
The Kickstarter page is up - https://www.kickstarter.com/...ct&term=speedsip

Thanks Alex for the link, I checked it! I will try to fit two speedsip bottles to my hydration plan: one for my gels, one for my electrolites/iso and I will carry water in the built in system. I'm planning to do my hot races like 70.3 Bintan and IM Cozumel with this setup. Opinions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what type of thread did you decide on??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://bikerumor.com/...ter-bottle-for-good/

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Option In Your Hydration Arsenal: SpeedSip [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dear DFW_Tri

SpeedSip has a generic cap-bottle thread that will work with the majority of the bottles but I can not guarantee that it will fit to all the bottles.
Simply, there are too many variation.
That is why it will be produced as a complete matching unit: cap + bottle.

Nevertheless, I tested several brand bottles with SpeedSip cap. Some of them are ok, some of them not. Here is a short list:

CamelBak = OK
Polar Bottle = OK
Specialized Purist = OK

Performance = NO
ZEFAL (Eropean) = NO

The other issue is the bottle + cage compatibility. The situation is even worst. The concept of "rocket launching behind the saddle" is well known.
I selected the bottle shoulder design that fits well to a good quality cage (like Blackburn Cinch) with no issues on a bumpy road or railroad crossing.
Please send me an e-mail for the details.
Thanks.
Last edited by: pszedlacsek: Oct 11, 18 19:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello

super product, congrats
First time I saw a picture of Lagerstrom drinking like that (Santa Cruz, or training, don't remember) I said to myself "great idea".

I tested the position and apart the aero advantage, I see another bigger reason to use it : you keep your eyes on the road
Quote Reply

Prev Next