Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Berlin Marathon [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ktm520 wrote:
Yeah, sure was fast out there. Amazing they are still off Paula by 3 minutes, that run has really held up over time.

Yep, draw your own conclusions as to how it is so far ahead of others and for so long.
Quote Reply
Re: Berlin Marathon [ChasingPB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChasingPB wrote:
For me, what made Kipchoge's WR more impressive was the negative split despite the plan of having pacers with him further went to hell. can have their own personality, to me

Yes, a negative split. As one of my friends noted, so did Kimetto when he broke 2:03, Geb when breaking 2:04, Tergat when breaking 2:05.

Fast times are all about being strong late in the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Berlin Marathon [ChasingPB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChasingPB wrote:
Boston will likely never see a WR run on it,

No matter how fast it's run, a WR isn't going to happen at Boston because it's point-to-point and a significant drop in elevation.
Quote Reply
Re: Berlin Marathon [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
ChasingPB wrote:

No matter how fast it's run, a WR isn't going to happen at Boston because it's point-to-point and a significant drop in elevation.

Boston can be fast in the right conditions, and had a "fastest marathon" time as recently as 2011 (2:03:02 by Geoffrey Mutai). But IAAF wouldn't ratify it as a record because the course doesn't meet the current requirements.
Quote Reply
Re: Berlin Marathon [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/14/sports/eliud-kipchoge-marathon.html

Inspiring writing from before the race.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: Berlin Marathon [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do y’all think his baggy singlet cost him much time? He was wearing compression shorts but a baggy top.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Berlin Marathon [mike_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike_w wrote:
satanellus wrote:
ChasingPB wrote:

Boston can be fast in the right conditions, and had a "fastest marathon" time as recently as 2011 (2:03:02 by Geoffrey Mutai). But IAAF wouldn't ratify it as a record because the course doesn't meet the current requirements.

I wrote it that way to avoid absolutism, but yeah currently it would be a "WR," not official. My point anyway was each marathon has it's own character and in a race like Boston, pacers make no sense. They want a head to head clash the whole way

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Re: Berlin Marathon [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
Pun_Times wrote:
Nice write up over at letsrun.com. They talk about how the pacers/pacing didn’t go exactly to plan and how Kipchoge made a surge in the final 2k to make sure he broke 2:02. There is also a video of the finish at the end. Looks like some wheelchair finishers were confused on what finishing chute they were supposed to go down and almost got in his way.

http://www.letsrun.com/...018-berlin-marathon/

There was a hand cycle guy that hung with him over the last 1.5-2 K or so that was absolutely purposefully mucking around and speeding up to try to stay in the same camera shot as Kipchoge. I was really worried that he was going to interfere with Kipchoge’s race. The organizers should have done something to get him out of there.

That guy was a clown. Get the F out of the way.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Berlin Marathon [mike_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike_w wrote:
satanellus wrote:
ChasingPB wrote:

First 4 miles is all downhill and a 25mph tail wind that year on the backs of sub 130lb guys...
Quote Reply
Re: Berlin Marathon [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTL wrote:
[..] He (Boit) did an incredible work seriously his PB was 1:01:3x for a half marathon and he
went through 1:01:06 pulling Kipchoge... I was sure he would be done just at that point... but he hanged until 25km!

Unbelievable... hard workers are not always mentioned... so just wanted to highlight his work.

[..]

I give Boit a lot of credit, but he did not run a PR pulling Kipchoge. His half marathon PR is 59:20 at Herbana Half Marathon this April.
Quote Reply
Re: Berlin Marathon [cbritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cbritri wrote:
I just can't watch sports and see something unbelievable and enjoy it. All I can think is, "those doctors are getting good".

What has changed to drop the marathon WR by so much in just a few years? Nutrition, hydration, training theory? 1:18 off the WR is a ton.

Sucks that you can't turn off your cynical thoughts. Sunday morning was the the most exciting marathon running I've watched live since the breaking 2 last Spring. I only watch sports to enjoy it. It's not life and death. It's human endeavor and challenge. It's what we do ourselves, just at the different level as it's the edge of what human beings can do. And in the case of Sunday, the best a human has ever done under the rules of the event. I'm guessing you struggle with enjoying action movies as well, with all that green screen and animation? Wink

Drop in WR has been the combo of low barriers to entry, $$, social status in different cultures (Kenyan/Ethiopian/Japanese primarily), course selection, optimisation of training and race nutrition. Those things mean that the best athletes for the sport and the event will want to, and be able to, focus on it to be the best they possibly can be. (Generally growing up at high altitude, with a active lifestyle, being small.)

https://www.strava.com/athletes/nbrowne1
Last edited by: nbrowne1: Sep 19, 18 17:04
Quote Reply
Re: Berlin Marathon [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriselam wrote:
After reading Endure by Alex Hutchinson I think that this WR today is a direct result of his run for Breaking 2. After that, he knew that he was capable of running fast enough to break the WR, and I really do think that was the difference. I don’t think he believed he could break 2 hours today, or even match his Breaking 2 time, but he certainly came into this race believing he could set the WR, because he had already done it unofficially. And he did.

I had the same thought. I listened to the audio book (this is a good listen while running). I told my wife the WR was crushed at Berlin and she asked why I thought it was beat by so much. My response was Breaking2 and the mental edge it gave him. It was only a matter of time, but not just for Kipchoge. They proved to elite runners what humans are capable of, even if it was under ideal conditions.
Quote Reply

Prev Next