Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New hour record
Quote | Reply
Surprised no one seems to have mentioned this, since she used to be a triathlete:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...record-by-27-metres/

Regardless, she's got a beautiful aero position (3rd image, IIRC).

Somebody I know is going after one the master records in a couple of weeks... will be interesting to see how he does (apparently has held >50 km for up to 35 min in training).
Quote Reply
Re: New hour record [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very impressive indeed, she pulled an Obree and did back to back attempts.

Custom bars? Endura helmet/skinsuit. Lace up shoes. Hidden socks. Walker Bros Eth wheelset with the new Vittoria tyres. Good setup, lots of reach.

Masters record, CP?

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to see the record progressing!

What masters age group?
Quote Reply
Re: New hour record [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
Very impressive indeed, she pulled an Obree and did back to back attempts.

Not quite his 2 x full duration in a 24 h window, but, yeah.

This is partially why I always have to laugh when people talk about how fatigued a 40 km TT or an FTP test leaves them. Sure, there is some carryover, but nothing at all like, e.g., a marathon (or even a 10 km race).

Morelock wrote:
Masters record, CP?

No, nobody most are likely to have ever heard of. That's partially why I am curious to see how they fare.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Sep 15, 18 10:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Outstanding pacing throughout the whole ride. Plus the guts to abandon the first ride and come back. Very very smart rider.
Quote Reply
Re: New hour record [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluntandy wrote:
Very very smart rider.

Indeed! She has a Ph. D. in maths from Oxford.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:

Regardless, she's got a beautiful aero position (3rd image, IIRC).

Amazing

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Sep 15, 18 13:45
Quote Reply
Re: New hour record [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
bluntandy wrote:
Very very smart rider.

I cannot help myself, it's called a D.Phil if it's from Oxford.
Last edited by: SteveMc: Sep 15, 18 12:46
Quote Reply
Re: New hour record [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a nice position. Reminds me of Grill of this parish (UK TTer).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funnily enough I've seen that position approx 10 times recently. Almost identical. All with CdA well below 0.2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw CP this morning. Yes

Going down with a crew
Quote Reply
Re: New hour record [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveMc wrote:
eb wrote:
bluntandy wrote:
Very very smart rider.

Doh! Of course you're correct; I should've just said "doctorate" instead of exposing my US-centrism.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And she fueled with Ketones.
Quote Reply
Re: New hour record [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dbeitel wrote:
Saw CP this morning. Yes

Going down with a crew

Nice, I wish things had went differently (like not crashing!) and I had got to tag along this trip. I suspect a good number of records are going to be set.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear that you crashed-I think this will be an epic trip. I know he is motivated.

Then it’s on to Worlds for them!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
SteveMc wrote:
eb wrote:
bluntandy wrote:
Very very smart rider.

Doh! Of course you're correct; I should've just said "doctorate" instead of exposing my US-centrism.

I'm gonna point my USAcentrism by saying that maths sounds like an idiot speaking, whether one has a PhD or DPhil.
Quote Reply
Re: New hour record [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
eb wrote:
SteveMc wrote:
eb wrote:
bluntandy wrote:
Very very smart rider.

I'm gonna point my USAcentrism by saying that maths sounds like an idiot speaking, whether one has a PhD or DPhil.

Hahaha! Clearly you are even more USA-centric than I am! The Brits will be here shortly to weigh in on the abbreviation of "mathematics", and whether it is "math" or ""maths". ;^>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
Hahaha! Clearly you are even more USA-centric than I am! The Brits will be here shortly to weigh in on the abbreviation of "mathematics", and whether it is "math" or ""maths". ;^>

It's called a Ph.D. at nearly all other British universities, such as Cambridge, so just a very small detail, but pertinent to some. Math or maths is way too general a descriptor, her's is in pure maths, namely topology and category theory. You have to have a very big field of 'vision' in order to work in that area, highly suited to those on the spectrum. Cycling for an hour on a track seems like a glorious antithesis of that kind of mental effort.

Going back to Oxford though, she was very fortunate to have been part of the huge explosion in club cycling that Flavio Zappi inspired and developed before moving onto creating his hugely successful junior development squad. Flavio is a very charismatic character, rode the giro in 1984 (wore the green jersey along the way) along with Paris-Roubaix a couple of times. Gave up cycling to raise his kids and got back into it in his late 40s, instantly regained his mojo and encouraged so many to give racing a go. Not a huge fan of time trailing though, but someone worth interviewing for a piece here. If Herbert does, then do ask him how he rode the last TT in 1984.... the famous one where Fignon had the helicopter against him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
Rumpled wrote:
eb wrote:
SteveMc wrote:
eb wrote:
bluntandy wrote:
Very very smart rider.

We stick with maths rather than mathematics. But NEVER math.

Despite having a rep for being 'nerdy' my peers in the Oxford maths department are pretty handy good sportspeople (e.g. https://www.triathlon.org/...le/u23_women_review1)
Quote Reply