Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Watteam Powerbeat G3
Quote | Reply
Just nervously glued my double sided Watteam Powerbeat G3 onto my crankarms, now anxiously waiting for them to dry. In need of moral support during these next long 24 hours
Quote Reply
Re: Watteam Powerbeat G3 [StokeTheFire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please report how you like them.

I have the single sided G2 and don't like them too much tbh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's your first impression or have you had a chance to use the G3 yet? I glued mine last night so interested to hear what you make of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Watteam Powerbeat G3 [chrissie1993] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrissie1993 wrote:

What don't you like about it? I have the single-sided G2 and it has been great for the better part of a year now. So far it has consistent calibration and output and holds charge as advertised. Interested to know about your issues with the G2. I have heard that this new batch of G3's have a whole bunch of issues. I'm not sure what happened there...

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Watteam Powerbeat G3 [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
chrissie1993 wrote:

What don't you like about it? I have the single-sided G2 and it has been great for the better part of a year now. So far it has consistent calibration and output and holds charge as advertised. Interested to know about your issues with the G2. I have heard that this new batch of G3's have a whole bunch of issues. I'm not sure what happened there...

They seem pretty inconsistent. Like 15% differences after each calibration.
I first got one which did not work properly. The customer support was great and they send me a new PM the next day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
I have heard that this new batch of G3's have a whole bunch of issues. I'm not sure what happened there...

What have you heard about the G3's? I've been trying to find info but there's very little available. I hadn't heard of any issues specific to G3 yet, although the app seems to be giving serious issue and I can't get to the point where I can even do the calibration yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Watteam Powerbeat G3 [Bpa400] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bpa400 wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:
I have heard that this new batch of G3's have a whole bunch of issues. I'm not sure what happened there...

What have you heard about the G3's? I've been trying to find info but there's very little available. I hadn't heard of any issues specific to G3 yet, although the app seems to be giving serious issue and I can't get to the point where I can even do the calibration yet.

If you go to the DC Rainmaker review of the G2 you can see a ton of current comments on the G3's that are shipping out. Lots of problems are being reported.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calibrated it, got on my trainer and compared it to my Kinetic Road Machine inRide (which obviously isn't perfect I know, but have had great and consistent results with it in the past especially with properly calibrating it on each ride) and the power meter was at least 30 watts off. I then took my aero bars off, recalibrated with the water jugs, tried riding again and now it was ~50 watts off. Each time I did the zero calibration. I then decided to give it the benefit of the doubt and zero calibrated, did a ramp test on TrainerRoad, and it predicted my FTP about 80watts lower than my last test...now obviously I wasn't expecting a perfect match up, lots of variables go into that, but 80watts is a huge difference when it's been about 8 week since my last test and in that time I have continued to have consistent riding. Plus it seems unlikely my FTP is 182 when I averaged 23mph in my last Ironman 70.3.

Long story short, I think for me personally there are just too many variables that can lead to inaccuracy and inconsistency for me to comfortably spend $400 on this product and be confident it will stand the test of time. I'm sure I could spend more time and more hours working with it and the support crew to get its accuracy honed in, but again I just don't feel for $400 dollars I should have to do that. Maybe I should've gone just left-sided, maybe I should've just spent the extra $100 and sent my crank in, maybe this is all just buyer's remorse setting in...it's hard to tell. I was really hoping for a better outcome, but I just can't take that bet right now when $400 is a significant amount to me at this stage of the game. I need something I know will be consistent and reliable. Will be returning and buying a 4iiii left sided crank.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to mention one of the quick release buttons and springs came flying out of one of the computer units when I was taking it off at one point...again, just not instilling confidence in the longevity of the product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang, I was super excited about getting my G3. But now I think about canceling that order and waiting till November for the IQ2 left only

CC
Quote Reply
Re: Watteam Powerbeat G3 [ChiroCowboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're okay with having to finagle with it and maybe have a decent way to ensure it is outputting accurate data then it might be worth it, otherwise I'd consider the factory install or just holding off for now. I fear the IQ2 won't be much better, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm arriving at a similar conclusion. These may work out in a few months with updates but the G3 were not ready to be launched. I still can't even get mine calibrated and no word from Watteam support.

How did you get them off your cranks? Mine are going back. Going to have to live with the sanded spots on my cranks as a reminder to the future me to just spend the extra but of money and get something that is well proven.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They have a guide in the booklet, but basically just use a box cutter blade to get them off. One of my sensors separated when I took it off so hopefully they accept the return...pretty sure the sensors can't be reused anyways. Shipping it out today. Only bright side in my case is I had repainted my cranks black because the paint had been stripped by the previous owner, so I'll just have to repaint those sanded spot.

Figure I'll get the left sided 4iiii and then if in the future I decide to go doubled sided I can always buy the other half, or toss that on my road bike and get a whole new setup for the tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just following up, Clever Training issued me a full refund today.
Quote Reply