Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Etiquette question - biking
Quote | Reply
So, pretty simple question really and I'd like to hear how you feel about it...;

Say you're out riding on a course (loop) where there about 10-20 riders that are moderate to fast, mixed in with a bunch of other bikers, pedestrians and runners (i.e. a park). You're a fairly strong biker and someone that you overtake moves in behind you and is now on your wheel drafting.

- Does that annoy you?
- Does it make you adjust your biking?

- If it annoys you, do you speed up and leave them behind, or do you slow down and let them overtake you?... or do you tell them to not draft?

- If you're the one that are drafting behind someone else, would you get annoyed if someone told you to get off their back (using other words maybe)?

---- In other words, is there an etiquette here that I'm unaware of?

FYI: In this park I've seen people sometimes just end up riding two-four bikers together, just seemingly agreed upon without words. Sometimes people take turns taking the wind, sometimes not....

m
Quote Reply
Re: Etiquette question - biking [MattiasNyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattiasNyc wrote:
So, pretty simple question really and I'd like to hear how you feel about it...;

Say you're out riding on a course (loop) where there about 10-20 riders that are moderate to fast, mixed in with a bunch of other bikers, pedestrians and runners (i.e. a park). You're a fairly strong biker and someone that you overtake moves in behind you and is now on your wheel drafting.

- Does that annoy you?

- If it annoys you, do you speed up and leave them behind, or do you slow down and let them overtake you?... or do you tell them to not draft?

- If you're the one that are drafting behind someone else, would you get annoyed if someone told you to get off their back (using other words maybe)?

FYI: In this park I've seen people sometimes just end up riding two-four bikers together, just seemingly agreed upon without words. Sometimes people take turns taking the wind, sometimes not....

m

If there is a strong wind, learn to gutter them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd just chill and not worry about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This topic has been talked about not too long ago: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...king_wheel_P6690718/
Quote Reply
Re: Etiquette question - biking [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Richard. I'm usually better at searching. I'll read through that instead.

Thanks for the replies though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would just let them follow, don't cost you anything and they think they are getting away with one.
Quote Reply
Re: Etiquette question - biking [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:
Or drop back, say hi, make a new friend. Flick the elbow, let them take a turn.

Getting angry about this sort of thing is why people think cyclist are elitist wankers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take it as a compliment.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Truly a first world problem...

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: Etiquette question - biking [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol....

I was the one doing the drafting....
Last edited by: MattiasNyc: Sep 15, 18 6:53
Quote Reply
Re: Etiquette question - biking [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:

This. Mostly. I like the drop back suggestion as well. As far as etiquette is concerned, the rider drafting should ask if it's ok. If he/she doesn't, after a minute or two, pull over and ask him/her to pull through..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just throw your CO2 cartridge at them, take off and tell them they suck!!

Seriously... I wouldn't really care..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"- If you're the one that are drafting behind someone else, would you get annoyed if someone told you to get off their back (using other words maybe)?"

Since you were the one drafting univited, maybe. I wouldn't care, but some riders aren't used to someone riding their wheel and might make them annoyed/nervous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always ask and hopefully it will inspire them to do the same next time they’re thinking about grabbing someone’s wheel uninvited.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't bother me if they tag on. Some sort of acknowledgement at some point (e.g. a "thanks for the tow" when they or I pull off) is nice. Annoying behaviour is:

1) Drafting for a while then pulling in front of me to do a turn (unless I've flicked an elbow asking them to do their bit). They don't know what training I have planned, if I'm in the middle of an interval they've just screwed it up
2) Drafting for a while and then trying to sprint past to "beat" me to some arbitrary finish line where they usually stop or sit up. This happens quite a lot on hills - somebody I'm passing up the hill tags on, sits behind me, then attacks 50m before the top. Just a complete dick move

That said, some people are more sensitive to it than others, so I generally avoid drafting anybody I don't know. On the very few occasions I have done it (normally into a stiff headwind on a day when I've overdone it, my legs are cooked, and I could use a little help getting home) I always make sure to initiate contact and say thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattiasNyc wrote:

- Does that annoy you?

m

Have we stopped at making new friends?

If someone could hold my wheel, they are riding buddy material. Might ask some questions like are they visiting, how far have they gone, do they race, what category, age, how many bikes do the have, etc.

Another amigo.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply