Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ski Touring Setup
Quote | Reply
I'd like to do some ski touring (Skimo?) this winter so was hoping the ST braintrust might be able to help get me started. More hiking with the ability to get down hills a little faster than specifically climbing something to ski down it. All back country, no resorts (groomed) and mostly in the Sierras. My background: I've gone XC skiing a few times and enjoyed it, and skied downhill as a kid (til about 14 when I switched to snowboarding and went 10-15 times per season til 18, then 1-2 times per season after that) and gone snowshoeing 2-3 times per winter for the last decade. I spent a lot of time in the mountain back country this summer, really enjoyed it and want to extend my time there. Taking an avalanche class, getting a beacon, etc, but I'm wondering if people had suggestions on gear (skis, boots, bindings, skins, shovel, axe, backpack)? After a little research it looks like I'd rather go with tech bindings and some mid-width skis that could handle some powder if necessary. Accessory gear suggestions are also welcome. Any info/advice would be much appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Ski Touring Setup [TomkR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boots: Look for the 1kg boots, they ski pretty good. Atomic Backland, Scarpa F1, Fischer Travers, TLT7, XAlp etc. Carbon cuffs do quite a bit to improve the skiability of these light boots. Fit is important to avoid blisters, and/or cold toes.
Bindings: definitely tech bindings. The basic Dynafit speed is excellent, the only reason to spend more money is if you want specific features like brakes (necessary for the ski hill unless you want to deal with leashes), or lighter weight race style bindings, really only ~150gram savings per side.
Skis: For where I ski (Canadian Rockies) I have really loved my 88mm underfoot carbon cored skis for everything. Lightweight for the uphill, decent float, and good edge hold in firm snow. The only issue with lightweight skis is that they do not handle hard impacts (ice chunks or rocks) very well so wouldn't really survive extensive resort skiing.
Skins: Mohair mix is pretty nice. Good mix of grip and glide. Others might chime in but my partners haven't had very good luck with G3 skins (water absorption and glue issues). Pomocas are a premium but they have been excellent.
Shovel: any shovel from a reputable brand. A while ago, the Voile shovels were the only ones that held up to testing, but it seems the latest from BD et, all have improved.
Axe: lightweight axe and aluminum crampons is good for anything you intent on skiing down. I would avoid something with just a "cut-off" spike as they are pretty useless for plunging in firm snow.
Pack: One with separate compartment for avalanche gear to be stored on the inside. I personally can't stand a-frame style ski carry and I much prefer diagonal style as it is quicker to rig up.
Quote Reply
Re: Ski Touring Setup [pknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, very helpful!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in BC and looking to pursue a similar setup. Where do you generally source all your gear (from MEC or a speciality shop)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd generally agree with pknight with a few extra observations.

Boots - stick with max of 2 buckles. Custom footbeds, while expensive can really enhance their performance. Big toe box key for the cold. My feet never forgave the TLT5s.

Skis - 95mm ideal. An early rise helps for trail-breaking and for inverted pow <1350g if you can.

Bindings - I will avoid making comments about a high riser because it generally leads into a painful debate on setting skin-tracks. Try to get a binding with some level of adjustment (2cm?) in the horizontal heal position. Boot sole sizes keep changing (generally getting shorter) and there is nothing more annoying than buying a new pair of boots, only to find that you have to get your bindings remounted. A light binding obviously better. Dyanfits are great and easy to find, but can lack the adjustability. Kreuzspitze fantastic but expensive. DIN range is preference, but for BC do you really need anything more than an 8?

Skins - depends a bit on your local terrain / snow conditions. Nylon stickier, bulkier, and easier to use). Mohair glidier, require more technique, and pack better. If where you are involves a 1hr valley approach (don't know the Sierra's well) then you will rapidly graduate to Mohair! A mix can be a compromise, but ultimately it is just that - a compromise, so you get the best or worst of both worlds, depending on your point of view. Everyone will have a different "when the glue didn't work story'. I found BDs to be reliable (but their glue may have changed a few years back). Pomocas weren't reliable and when they failed it was the most miserable day possible. Now on Trab which seems good, but I haven't used below 0F. G3 I don't see much.

Packs - go frameless. Remember that whatever size pack you buy you will fill it to the brim. Maybe 25/28. Diagonal carry is the way to go, though A-frame is better for bush-whacking.

Shovel - don't get a plastic blade.

Poles - go with adjustable, and if they don't have it, put some grip on the upper shaft.

Crampons - step ins.

Axe - something light.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skimo and ski touring are similar but not the same. Do you plan on doing races at local mountains and resorts or pick objectives and go ski them? The suggestions given would be good skimo advice but you’d sacrifice a lot on the down. If you’re looking for a solid touring setup check out the new Atomic Hawk XTD. Only a minor weight difference over some of the lighter boots listed but tours just as well and you don’t sacrifice on the down. For skis the Salomon MTN Explore 95’s are awesome. Not the lightest but they handle deeper snow better than anything in that size that I’ve
been on. Salmon MTN binding is a solid tech binding that just works. Switched to it from Dynafit’s and haven’t looked back.

For a beacon you have a few choices. I’ve been happy with the BCA tracker series. The 3 has been a great upgrade over the previous years. Also the new BCA speed 27 pack is awesome. All the room you need for a day tour and lighter than most of the electric bags.
Quote Reply
Re: Ski Touring Setup [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely touring in the back country only, no racing. Thanks for the advice!
Quote Reply
Re: Ski Touring Setup [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you plan to ski peaks or no-fall terrain then a slightly heavier set up is probably good for peace of mind. If you want to ski pow, who cares what you have on your feet on the way down. However, every g you save on the way up will a) get you there faster and b) allow you to do more laps. But I draw the line at titanium screws.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out skimo.com. They are always happy to help you
Quote Reply