Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 Chata or Gulf Coast (Panama City)
Quote | Reply
IM 70.3 Chata or Ironman 70.3 Gulf Coast (Panama City)

Which would you choose and why? I am from Florida and can't decide. Pro's and cons of each? Other than a closed swim the last few times at Gulf Coast.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Chata or Gulf Coast (Panama City) [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Gulf Coast this year and did 70.3 worlds last year (slightly different course).

Swim is probably the biggest difference as far as the course goes. Ocean swim at GC and not current assisted. Chatt swim is very fast as its current assisted. If you are a weaker swimmer, I would opt for Chatt.

Bike is flat and fast at GC and is not closed to traffic. You do need to be aware of the traffic at some of the bigger intersections at the beginning and end of the bike. Run has virtually no shade and got pretty damn hot for everyone.

PCB is a dump and I much prefer the town of Chatt personally.

Hope that helps.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Chata or Gulf Coast (Panama City) [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I did Gulf Coast this year and did 70.3 worlds last year (slightly different course).

Swim is probably the biggest difference as far as the course goes. Ocean swim at GC and not current assisted. Chatt swim is very fast as its current assisted. If you are a weaker swimmer, I would opt for Chatt.

Bike is flat and fast at GC and is not closed to traffic. You do need to be aware of the traffic at some of the bigger intersections at the beginning and end of the bike. Run has virtually no shade and got pretty damn hot for everyone.

Hope that helps.

SCOFF! PCB is the Redneck Riviera! Faded 70's pastel colors and beach trinket shops for as far as the eye can see!

But, seriously, yeah, Chatt is a way better experience in terms of a trip. Hit up the Daily Ration for breakfast and Taco Mamacita for a post-race burrito.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Chata or Gulf Coast (Panama City) [jbailey500] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jbailey500 wrote:
stevej wrote:

Hope that helps.

SCOFF! PCB is the Redneck Riviera! Faded 70's pastel colors and beach trinket shops for as far as the eye can see!

But, seriously, yeah, Chatt is a way better experience in terms of a trip. Hit up the Daily Ration for breakfast and Taco Mamacita for a post-race burrito.

If by burrito you mean margaritas until I fall over...that sounds like a plan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year I did Chattanoga. This year I did Gulf Coast. Next year, I am doing Gulf Coast. My assessment and decision factors...
  • Chattanooga Ironman Village and general scene is freakin' awesome. Gulf Coast is small and in a rundown conference center.
  • Chattanooga wins the general pre/post-race location activity. PCB is typical rundown beach area.
  • Gulf Coast swim is beautiful and honest. Chattanooga is just another murky (not bad, but not crystal clear) river swim.
  • PCB has way more cheap, good, and nearby hotel/condo inventory. Chattanooga is more expensive and very low capacity near race start.
  • Gulf Coast bike is insanely fast. Chattanooga is more scenic, but the roads are also rougher in spots with twists and turns that slow you down.
  • Gulf Coast run is hot as balls with no shade and boring. Chattanooga is beautiful and normally a more comfortable temperature.
  • Start & Finish are a toss-up. Both very good with very good spectator opportunities.
  • Gulf Coast has a slight edge for spectators on the run (3 loops with easy viewing at GC versus 2 loops with fewer good spots at Chattanooga)
  • Your probability of getting a 70.3 Worlds roll down is much higher at Gulf Coast
  • Timing is a toss-up. Gulf Coast is always Saturday of Mother's Day weekend. Chattanooga is a couple weeks later which can impact end-of-year school schedules for those with families.
  • I did GC this year purely for scheduling reasons and a minor coordination with another friend doing it.
  • I am doing GC next year because we loved our location (VRBO condo at start/finish for cheap) and we liked the family Monther's Day mini trip tied in with the race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did chatty this year...phenomenal. Stayed at the Hampton Inn by the race and never cranked the car for 3 days. Walked everywhere. Community pie is my go to in chatty for pre race pizza and a beer.

That said, will be doing GC this year because it happens to be the week my family will already be on vacation in the PCB/30A area. So why not race? I did GC several times back when it was the Gulf Coast triathlon and liked that course way better. But I’ll be there nonetheless
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would love to try Chattanooga some day but will likely return to PCB this year. It's driveable-ish (9 hours from Houston), and especially now that I have a infant daughter I could even break the drive up over two days.

I like the PCB area and when bringing the lady friend along, having the beach and bars there make it an easier sell. We stayed at the holiday inn resort last year and it was fantastic, though a bit expensive. The things I really love about GC are the Saturday race date and the early start (6 AM). By noon Saturday you can be back at the pool pounding pina coladas.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never done Chatt. I went into GC this year untapered and tired and PRd my 70.3 distance. It's fast. Agree with good chance of getting World's slot. After they went through top 10 they asked the audience if anybody else was there in the AG that was interested in Worlds. The course was super fast, other than hot run which should be fine since you are in Florida. I am signed up again next year and will plan on a another PR with proper taper. My wife had watched me race a lot of 70.3s and decided on GC to be her first next year.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Chata or Gulf Coast (Panama City) [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't want to hijack/derail the thread, but why do you feel that there is a higher probability of roll down slots at GC vs Chatt? I was looking between those two and St. George (increased slots) to qualify for Nice this year.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Chata or Gulf Coast (Panama City) [belilgr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t know why, but I saw a lot of AG slots go into the 30s and 40s before someone claimed them. They had a couple unclaimed slots at the end that anyone could take. I massively blew up on the run and was 27th in AG. I passed on a slot that went to the 48th in my division.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GC 70.3 was a blast. Like everyone else said, the bike is stupid fast. Seemed like it was downwind both ways. haha.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Chata or Gulf Coast (Panama City) [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Y’all may have just sold me on registering for GC for 2019. I was concerned after reading some race reviews with people saying the swim had been cancelled a couple of times lately. May still risk it if the rest of the course is fairly fast. As someone else said, easier to sell it to the wife. We live 4 hours from PCB and enjoy going a couple times a year.

Does it tend to be wetsuit legal?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Chata or Gulf Coast (Panama City) [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chatty for sure. I have experienced PCB 2x. the first happened to be in college which was probably the best time I'll never remember and a DNF at the full which is the worst time I wish to forget.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Chata or Gulf Coast (Panama City) [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was REALLY close this year, but from what I understood, Ironman takes quite the liberal reading of the water temps. It was wetsuit legal this year.

Also, PCB sucks and is gross. But the race is fun.

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Chata or Gulf Coast (Panama City) [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From my understanding it has always been wetsuit legal.

As for rolldown slots, this year they rolled far but I would guess it was because of the location. From talking with people in PE about next year, I think the Nice slots will be gobbled up at every race. It seemed like everyone wanted to go.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Chata or Gulf Coast (Panama City) [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hm. The potential for a further roll down for Worlds is a big swayer. I feel I may have the advantage in PCB due to the heat because I am a native Floridian. I am familiar with the landscape and water and the whole environment. Chatta just seemed like a nice change but the roll down..is really putting me on the fence now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What AG are you?

I was in M25-29 and I'm pretty sure all the slots were taken. I came in 4th and was crossing my fingers, but from what I understood, the top 2 guys took 'em.

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Chata or Gulf Coast (Panama City) [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
30-34

Any info on this group?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
20th finisher in 40-44 took last spot...because he was at Roll Down...otherwise it would have went further. Not sure about your ag.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, we bought a condo in Chattanooga because that town is so awesome. If you like to get your HR over 90, I'd go Chattanooga for all the fun things to do outdoors. If you like to smoke menthols and buy 3 dollar T-shirts go to PCB. lol
Quote Reply