Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling rear-view mirror
Quote | Reply
Anyone use one, either helmet- or bar-mounted? Recommendations? Any relevant hacks for optimizing visualization? Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling rear-view mirror [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Google "corky"
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling rear-view mirror [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
Google "corky"

Looks really nice, but I ride TT with brake levers on my bar ends, so I don't think there's a way to make these work.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Google "Italian Bicycle Mirror". I've purchased a dozen of them over the years ... mostly off of ebay. They're excellent. They work perfectly on road drop bars, but I've managed to find effective ways to fit then on the base bars of my TT/Tri bikes. Of course, you need good electrical tape to complete the installation.

For TT base bar installation, I've usually cut off one of the four "tabs" and slotted the base bar into the opening thus created.

They yield a very stable and usable image.

Stay aero my friends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, get the kind that clip on to your sunglasses, not helmet or bar mounted. Least hassle and most portable
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling rear-view mirror [PeterP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeterP wrote:
Yes, get the kind that clip on to your sunglasses, not helmet or bar mounted. Least hassle and most portable

I've tried one. Really wanted it to work. Problem I had, at least on my road bike, is that when I adjusted it to be able to see behind when on the hoods, I couldn't see behind me while in the drops, and vice versa.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I "hack" a brake mount mirror onto my tri bike bars. Works great! It gives me the same visibility as a motorcycle mirror. I've tried the helmet ones and they don't work for me. I've been using this same type of mirror for years and it's kept me safe (notice the trees in the reflection; the distance ones are a 1/4 mile up the street)

Last edited by: TJ56: Sep 12, 18 12:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
use a helmet-mount mirror, similar to the Third Eye style. I can't use sunglass mounts since my eyes are so bad.
It's not great but it's better than not being able to see.. better Fred than dead, is my idea.
It takes a lot of fiddling to get the view right, then as soon as the helmet goes in the gym bag the adjustment is borked again.

I might get one of these for the road bike,
https://www.rivbike.com/products/german-mirror
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/601468

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 'third-eye' style helme tmounted small square mirror on an arm is the best. I've tried a bunch, this one is def the best.

Important to know though - do NOT expect to put it on your helmet and think 'voila - ready to go!" like you would a car rearview mirror. The small helmet mirror takes a fair amount of practice to get to the point where you can both position it AND aim it where you want to see behind you.

But after you get the hang of this, it becomes the best option. Mainly because you can now tilt your head in various angles to see all parts of the road behind you - which means you can spot behind you quickly on even windy roads where a straight-back aimed mirror would be blind.

Again - it takes PRACTICE!

I tried the bar-mounted and bar-end mount mirrors at well and still run the bar-end one. The problem with both is that they only see one fixed spot behind you (not good on windy roads), and you have to take your eyes way off the road to spot with them. The helmet mounted one is sufficiently close to your main field of view that you can take good looks even while descending fast, something I don't feel safe at all doing looking down at my bar-end or even bar mounted mirrors.

And yet again - it takes practice! It's gonna suck the first few rides you use it - you'll probably hate the tiny field of view, but stick with it, and you'll 'get it' at some point. Now it's especially invaluable for me when descending fast down winding roads so I can take the lane and know there is no car right behind me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gave up on mirrors. To much of a hassle. Bought a Garmin Varia and changed my life on the bike. Gives me more than enough warning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Zefal Spy mirror on my road bikes. I bought two, one for each of my most used bikes.

They are fantastic and cheap, and unobtrusive. I hate cycling without them. I place them in such a way (on the upper inside of the drops) that I can see behind me no matter if my hands are on the drops, hoods or tops.

https://goo.gl/images/cpVDNU

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+2 on the Garmin Varia Radar. Hands down, the best $200 I've ever spent. I can't imagine riding without it now.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling rear-view mirror [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
The 'third-eye' style helme tmounted small square mirror on an arm is the best. I've tried a bunch, this one is def the best.

Important to know though - do NOT expect to put it on your helmet and think 'voila - ready to go!" like you would a car rearview mirror. The small helmet mirror takes a fair amount of practice to get to the point where you can both position it AND aim it where you want to see behind you.

But after you get the hang of this, it becomes the best option. Mainly because you can now tilt your head in various angles to see all parts of the road behind you - which means you can spot behind you quickly on even windy roads where a straight-back aimed mirror would be blind.

I tried the bar-mounted and bar-end mount mirrors at well and still run the bar-end one. The problem with both is that they only see one fixed spot behind you (not good on windy roads), and you have to take your eyes way off the road to spot with them. The helmet mounted one is sufficiently close to your main field of view that you can take good looks even while descending fast, something I don't feel safe at all doing looking down at my bar-end or even bar mounted mirrors.

And yet again - it takes practice! It's gonna suck the first few rides you use it - you'll probably hate the tiny field of view, but stick with it, and you'll 'get it' at some point. Now it's especially invaluable for me when descending fast down winding roads so I can take the lane and know there is no car right behind me.

+1 to all of this. A helmet mounted mirror is so much more useful than a bar mounted one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm getting a great rear view with this helmet mounted third eye mirror:

My head and neck do a good job at absorbing road vibrations so the images in the mirror don't jitter. Tried a bike mounted rear view mirror once but did not get good results.

If you are using a Garmin computer and have some spare cash, invest in the Garmin Varia rear view radar.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling rear-view mirror [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
It takes a lot of fiddling to get the view right, then as soon as the helmet goes in the gym bag the adjustment is borked again.
Once you are happy with the adjustment, put a drop of thin CA into each swivel socket to lock the mirror's position and angle in place. Bam, no more fiddling.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling rear-view mirror [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
The small helmet mirror takes a fair amount of practice to get to the point where you can both position it AND aim it where you want to see behind you.

Once you are happy with the mirror's position and aim, see my post #17 above on how to make the position and aim permanent so you don't have to mess with the mirror before each ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling rear-view mirror [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My mirror position changes a lot based on terrain, drops vs hood preference, etc. You get good at adjusting it after you do it a lot and even in mid descent
Quote Reply