Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Frodo out for Kona 2018 - stress fracture [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
Canuck1 wrote:
He should know his body before he goes from 1:06 form to crutches in a week

the 1:06 form is why he got the stress fracture.. light is fast, light is weak..

http://www.runnersworld.com/...acture-warning-signs
"In the higher-risk categories, on the other hand, many of the fractures were in places like the sacrum, pelvis, and femoral neck, where the bones tend to have a different and softer interior structure. These fractures may be less of a direct consequence of biomechanical forces and more the result of weakened bone.

As a result, Tenforde suggests, an injury in one of those places may be a warning sign that the athlete is at higher risk—so that should trigger an evaluation of bone health, including a bone density scan."

http://journals.lww.com/...ctures_in.95598.aspx

"Results indicated that 40% of the female and 35% of the male runners reported a history of stress fracture, and that all of these did not meet the recommended daily energy intake or adequate intakes for calcium or Vitamin D required for their amount of training."

Stress fracture in the hip isn't normal for anyone, and isn't the result of training as such - it's the result of training and undereating.. something wrong nutritionally.

It's a real pity to see him injured though, not many years left in his competitive career.. though even now Jan is on anyone's short list for GOAT..

Maybe all that coffee he drinks, not good for calcium levels
Quote Reply
Re: Frodo out for Kona 2018 - stress fracture [Mike.A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure being a Vegan isn't good for your bones.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodo out for Kona 2018 - stress fracture [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It makes no sense for Wurf to pull them along when they barely helped last year. I think Kienle and Sanders will hang on until they bridge, and then Wurf will likely drop everyone on the descent and go hard on the way back as he would want at least a 5 min gap to Kienle/Sanders.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Frodo out for Kona 2018 - stress fracture [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoffmeister wrote:
I'm thinking Cam Brown.

Six kiwi men in there this year with Cam / Braden / Torenzo / Callum / Simon Cochrane / Mike Phillips. I'd pick Braden from that list. Hoping Cam to have a big one. From his instagram / FB he's training like a mad man over on the Sunshine Coast...

https://www.strava.com/athletes/nbrowne1
Quote Reply
Re: Frodo out for Kona 2018 - stress fracture [Mike.A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he is 6 feet 4 racing at 75 kgs that's not really that light
Quote Reply
Re: Frodo out for Kona 2018 - stress fracture [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:

That's pretty darn light weight. I'm 6'4" tall and my wife (and friends) start telling me I look like a cancer pt if I get down to 175-180. Even I cannot imagine being 165 (75kg) because that is big time skinny at my height......though I would love to see how much faster I could run or climb if I was that skinny
Quote Reply
Re: Frodo out for Kona 2018 - stress fracture [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eye3md wrote:
stevie g wrote:

That's pretty darn light weight. I'm 6'4" tall and my wife (and friends) start telling me I look like a cancer pt if I get down to 175-180. Even I cannot imagine being 165 (75kg) because that is big time skinny at my height......though I would love to see how much faster I could run or climb if I was that skinny

I am 6'4'' and 71kg. Obviously not as fast as frodeno. I cant ever see myself being 75kg. Some people are light and lean just by constitution. I obviously eat quality food (no limitation on volume) and exercice every day year around. Maybe frodeno natural weight is 75kg and doesnt get that fat even in off season.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodo out for Kona 2018 - stress fracture [frenchieTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frenchieTT wrote:
eye3md wrote:
stevie g wrote:

I am 6'4'' and 71kg. Obviously not as fast as frodeno. I cant ever see myself being 75kg. Some people are light and lean just by constitution. I obviously eat quality food (no limitation on volume) and exercice every day year around. Maybe frodeno natural weight is 75kg and doesnt get that fat even in off season.

I'm very lean but I am also a fairly "muscular" 6'4" (without doing weights of any kind) so that is probably part of what makes me look more cachectic when my weight gets below 180 lbs (81.8kg)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eye3md wrote:
frenchieTT wrote:
eye3md wrote:
stevie g wrote:

I'm very lean but I am also a fairly "muscular" 6'4" (without doing weights of any kind) so that is probably part of what makes me look more cachectic when my weight gets below 180 lbs (81.8kg)

I am more on the chris froome spectrum. :-) No upper body strength.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im 6 4 and 76 kg I could easily shed 3 kegs. I'm quite fat, can see all my ribs but still carry plenty. Frodo doesn't look like he is too thin.

He may have gone too hard this year though
Quote Reply
Re: Frodo out for Kona 2018 - stress fracture [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since Lionel gets all his ideas from Jan, what changes will Lionel make now that Jan's methods have resulted in a stress fracture?

He drops the vegan diet?
Maybe the stress fracture was from the speedplays and he'll change them out?
Aquajogging instead of the treadmill?
Last edited by: kiwi.: Sep 13, 18 13:48
Quote Reply
Re: Frodo out for Kona 2018 - stress fracture [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiwi. wrote:
Since Lionel gets all his ideas from Jan, what changes will Lionel make now that Jan's methods have resulted in a stress fracture?

He drops the vegan diet?

I figured he just stops the plans to launch Sandspresso

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
frenchieTT wrote:
eye3md wrote:
stevie g wrote:

I'm 6'3" and got down to 168 lbs and people freaked the F out because I looked so ill. That was too skinny. And then I started getting sick and injured. I climbed back up to 175 and that was far better.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodo out for Kona 2018 - stress fracture [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
frenchieTT wrote:
eye3md wrote:
stevie g wrote:

I'm 6'3" and got down to 168 lbs and people freaked the F out because I looked so ill. That was too skinny. And then I started getting sick and injured. I climbed back up to 175 and that was far better.

Yeah 6'4" and 165lbs is light and probably not healthy or sustainable.

Without really knowing much about the specifics of Jan just knowing this I'm not really surprised he had a fracture and is out of Kona for the second year in a row.

Yes its a fine line especially at that level, but damn that is really pushing it. I suspect if he put on 5lbs and while most on ST would freak out for gaining "unnecessary mass" he will come back stronger and be able to avoid injury.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodo out for Kona 2018 - stress fracture [CU427] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m 6’1” and raced at 150

It really isn’t that light. I never dieted just trained and ate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiwi. wrote:

He drops the vegan diet?

I'm surprised it took 111 posts before somebody tried turning this into a post about Lionel, has to be a record for ST!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
frenchieTT wrote:

6-4 and looking like a cancer patient...sometimes I wish I had the problem of being rail thin and not an easy gainer.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiwi. wrote:

He drops the vegan diet?

I predict Lionel also gets a stress fracture and drops out of Kona.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Frodo out for Kona 2018 - stress fracture [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
frenchieTT wrote:

6-4 and looking like a cancer patient...sometimes I wish I had the problem of being rail thin and not an easy gainer.

It is more that we are used to see fat bodies around us all the time. So someone normally thin looks abnormal to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodo out for Kona 2018 - stress fracture [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
frenchieTT wrote:

Really....I bet every single cancer patient (and most non patients) would love to look like this...

https://images.google.com.au/...;h=1001&hl=en-au
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
frenchieTT wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
frenchieTT wrote:

It is more that we are used to see fat bodies around us all the time. So someone normally thin looks abnormal to you.

You are not 'normally thin'. Just thin. Very thin.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodo out for Kona 2018 - stress fracture [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 6,2 and 185lbs and ain´t gonna be champion of anything, so I am happy...
Proffesionals, just other business

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Frodo out for Kona 2018 - stress fracture [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:
frenchieTT wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
frenchieTT wrote:

You are not 'normally thin'. Just thin. Very thin.

My BMI is 19 which is at the lower end of normal. According to the WHO, a BMI of 18.5 to 25 is normal.
Quote Reply

Prev Next