Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which salt not to take for IRONMAN?
Quote | Reply
Raced IRONMAN Boulder this year and got pretty dehydrated. I attribute this to the heat, but I also forgot my nutrition, so I had to improvise and take what was on the course.

There was an salt vendor on the course handing out canisters filled with some pink salt. I grabbed one put it in my pocket, but didn't use it. Probably should have, which got my thinking maybe I should check these guys out. Raced 70.3 Santa Cruz this weekend and saw the vendor at the expo. Had some questions so I approached them.

I said, hi you guys gave me some salt at IRONMAN Boulder… and before I could finish my sentence the lady interrupted me and said No! I paused, confused. And she continued, no, we've never given out our product before! I said yes, I got it at Boulder. She replied No, you didn't. I was stunned. I had gotten it at Boulder. I was really taken back by how rude she was being. But I realized maybe she was assuming I wanted a free sample. So I stopped and said, I'm looking to buy, but I had some questions about what you gave me at Boulder. Again she said No, you didn't get it at Boulder, we've never given it out. At that point I was done, told her forget it and walked away. Wasn't going to waste my time trying to buy a product, and told I'm wrong when I wasn't. That said I will never use their salt.

That said what's a good alternative?
Quote Reply
Re: Which salt not to take for IRONMAN? [jpicune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's almost like she thought you were going to finish your sentence with "...and it must have been contaminated, because I tested positive for X!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's odd, sorry you had that experience. I didn't visit the "expo" at all at SC (that was kind of pathetic IMO), but used it in my bottles and in my flask on the run and it worked quite well, as usual. Over the last 2-3 years, I've received many a free tube worth of samples from them, a few ~half full tubes on the run, and they've pretty much always been supportive and didn't actually care to sell me anything. I did end up buying their shirt for my gf at an expo (IMAZ last year), these are pretty fun and we don't really mind their little logo on the back.

Anyway, when I don't have their free samples, I use regular sea salt from Trader Joe's, no clue if there's any difference... My only preference is that it's not too fine grained and sticky, and TJ's one seems to be almost the same as the pink one in that regard.
Quote Reply
Re: Which salt not to take for IRONMAN? [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So we aren't allowed to say their name? The salt that starts with a "B"? Definitely a weird comment by that volunteer considering they are the "official salt of Ironman".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd steer clear of "Classified Nutrition" :o

https://triathlonmagazine.ca/news/lauren-barnett-suing-supplement-company-positive-ostarine-test/

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 out of 10
Last edited by: nc452010: Sep 11, 18 14:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jpicune wrote:
Raced IRONMAN Boulder this year and got pretty dehydrated. I attribute this to the heat, but I also forgot my nutrition, so I had to improvise and take what was on the course.

There was an salt vendor on the course handing out canisters filled with some pink salt. I grabbed one put it in my pocket, but didn't use it. Probably should have, which got my thinking maybe I should check these guys out. Raced 70.3 Santa Cruz this weekend and saw the vendor at the expo. Had some questions so I approached them.

I said, hi you guys gave me some salt at IRONMAN Boulder… and before I could finish my sentence the lady interrupted me and said No! I paused, confused. And she continued, no, we've never given out our product before! I said yes, I got it at Boulder. She replied No, you didn't. I was stunned. I had gotten it at Boulder. I was really taken back by how rude she was being. But I realized maybe she was assuming I wanted a free sample. So I stopped and said, I'm looking to buy, but I had some questions about what you gave me at Boulder. Again she said No, you didn't get it at Boulder, we've never given it out. At that point I was done, told her forget it and walked away. Wasn't going to waste my time trying to buy a product, and told I'm wrong when I wasn't. That said I will never use their salt.

Coincidence?

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...att_Miller_7004.html

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Which salt not to take for IRONMAN? [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friskyDingo wrote:
That's odd, sorry you had that experience. I didn't visit the "expo" at all at SC (that was kind of pathetic IMO), but used it in my bottles and in my flask on the run and it worked quite well, as usual. Over the last 2-3 years, I've received many a free tube worth of samples from them, a few ~half full tubes on the run, and they've pretty much always been supportive and didn't actually care to sell me anything. I did end up buying their shirt for my gf at an expo (IMAZ last year), these are pretty fun and we don't really mind their little logo on the back.

Anyway, when I don't have their free samples, I use regular sea salt from Trader Joe's, no clue if there's any difference... My only preference is that it's not too fine grained and sticky, and TJ's one seems to be almost the same as the pink one in that regard.
Just less marketing.

It's not like salt is this incredibly complex molecule.
Quote Reply
Re: Which salt not to take for IRONMAN? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
friskyDingo wrote:

Just less marketing.

If I remember correctly, some of these salt products aren't just sodium chloride (NaCl), but also contain other elements like Magnesium, etc, which are also good for endurance events. Remember, there are multiple salts in the world from a chemical perspective, not just NaCl (common table salt). So yes, there can be a difference between Morton's and a more specialized product.
Quote Reply
Re: Which salt not to take for IRONMAN? [RJSuperfreaky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RJSuperfreaky wrote:
spudone wrote:
friskyDingo wrote:

Just less marketing.

If I remember correctly, some of these salt products aren't just sodium chloride (NaCl), but also contain other elements like Magnesium, etc, which are also good for endurance events. Remember, there are multiple salts in the world from a chemical perspective, not just NaCl (common table salt). So yes, there can be a difference between Morton's and a more specialized product.

Yeah normal sea salt will be lacking those trace minerals but any pink salt will be the same

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Base Salt. They had a tent on the grassy hill by the bridge near 30th St. by Scott Carpenter pool a few years back during IM Boulder. They were giving out little canisters of their Himalayan salt during the run portion. I even recall one running up to me offering with the words "Base Salt"? They handed out a lot of canisters & yes, they had Base Salt T-shirts on & hats. So yes, they have given it away--unless Ironman hired them as a sort of aid station tent or it was part of their deal for paying for a spot at their expo? Don't think IM would hire them honestly though. I've seen Base do this in multiple races.

As for what not to take, I'd be skeptical of the Endurolytes as they were involved in a law suit by a certain now retired female pro who tested positive for nandrolone according to articles on the all mighty internet. I don't know that they have any certification as being fully banned substance free. Plus, they are really low in sodium by comparison to other brands.

One product I'd use is Salt Stick. Per their website: SaltStick products are produced in USA cGMP facilities that are certified to produce banned-substance-free sports nutrition products. I've used Salt Stick & really find they go down quite well. Best of all though, is to make sure you have an adequate amount of salt in your drink solution. For that reason, I just up the salt in my Custom Infinit drink.
Last edited by: Rocky M: Sep 12, 18 20:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The story and responses are very strange but it still sounds like an opportunity to coach that particular individual. No sense arguing with a customer but fwiw, with three Ironman events this weekend (Santa, Wisco, Lake Placid) the team may have been spread thin and may have even needed to hire a temp.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Sep 12, 18 22:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are u guys drinking Gatorade endurance?
Plus more salt?
Quote Reply
Re: Which salt not to take for IRONMAN? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What RockyM said....x2 on the SaltStick. Has over 5x (215mg) the sodium as an Endurolyte(only 40mg). I started using them as a salt, then Endurolyte alternative in 2009 and it's been pure gold. It's got other electrolytes in there as well. Check em' out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Precision Hydration is really good. Look for sodium citrate, not just sodium chloride. Also, avoid the potassium and magnesium in large amounts as well as vitamin C. K and Mg should be handled by your diet, not your sports drinks. Vit C will kill your performance and give you the runs if you ingest too much. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That woman may be a crackhead.

1st year IMChatt ... they were given out for free during the run

Now defunct IMNC had them on the run course for free. I ran by them 4x.

As far as your question, I'm not sure if it works or not, but I put a bunch of potato chips in my mouth from an aid station, suck on the salt, and spit out the potato chips. Works or not, the salt always taste good during the run :)

Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
jpicune wrote:

Coincidence?

So we are talking about Base Salt here?

I just bought some to try out...has it come back contaminated before?
Quote Reply
Re: Which salt not to take for IRONMAN? [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
stevej wrote:
jpicune wrote:

Coincidence?

My assumption is that we are talking about base salt.

To my knowledge, base salt has not come back contaminated. Again.... to my knowledge. All these people testing positive saying their supplement was contaminated have never came and out said directly what supplement was contaminated or what supplements they were taking. You can make a somewhat educated guess based on new supplements being added to the USADA's high risk list (which base salt is not on).

All that said, I will point you to these:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...e_Salt_Lie_P5919236/

http://triroost.com/...54356/#Comment_54356

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the salt stick fast chews that dissolve. They work great. I prefer the lemon-lime.
Quote Reply
Re: Which salt not to take for IRONMAN? [Nerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nerd wrote:
I use the salt stick fast chews that dissolve. They work great. I prefer the lemon-lime.

I would agree. Much better tasting, easier and cleaner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jpicune wrote:

Salts sticks, best stuff ever

http://saltstick.com/product/saltstick-caps/

I used many other "Hydrators" but salts sticks are the best, not only completely eliminated my cramps, but also positively affect my HR recovery. They are relatively inexpensive.
Quote Reply
Re: Which salt not to take for IRONMAN? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
LifeTri wrote:
stevej wrote:
jpicune wrote:

Coincidence?

My assumption is that we are talking about base salt.

To my knowledge, base salt has not come back contaminated. Again.... to my knowledge. All these people testing positive saying their supplement was contaminated have never came and out said directly what supplement was contaminated or what supplements they were taking. You can make a somewhat educated guess based on new supplements being added to the USADA's high risk list (which base salt is not on).

All that said, I will point you to these:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...e_Salt_Lie_P5919236/

http://triroost.com/...54356/#Comment_54356

Great reads...

...I will not be ordering their product again.
Quote Reply