Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weather possibly impacting Savageman...what to do...
Quote | Reply
It's certainly not a done deal, but there's a good chance that Savageman will be cancelled this weekend. The race organizers are communicating with the athletes regarding the weather concerns.

As someone who was travelling over 1000 miles (and meeting family who was travelling from the other direction), I'm trying to figure out what to do. I have hotels and a house rented (of course I didn't buy travel insurance....possible lesson learned, but I've traveled for tons of races and haven't had this happen yet).

My question is....what's this area of the country like? Is there anything to do there when it's raining cats and dogs, even if I can't race?? This sucks. Kudos to Kinetic Multisports for getting ahead of this and already starting the communication.
Last edited by: dprocket: Sep 11, 18 5:48
Quote Reply
Re: Weather possibly impacting Savageman...what to do... [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ooof, that's rough. I only have to travel 2.5 hours but you're right, its nice for Kinetic to get ahead of this. Ultimately the decision might not be there's to make as the bike course has so much real estate to cover. It's no joke when they get this much rain.

Anyways, we've been at Deep Creek on rainy weekends. A lot will depend on the weather and how bad it might be, but Swallow falls is cool and you may be able to explore a lot of the trails right there at the State Park. There's a mini golf course and a high ropes/zip line thingy there too.

Stop in at Mountain Sports to see what they are up to, they may have more ideas. If you have family with you that might be the best entertainment lol!

Josh
Quote Reply
Re: Weather possibly impacting Savageman...what to do... [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dprocket wrote:
It's certainly not a done deal, but there's a good chance that Savageman will be cancelled this weekend. The race organizers are communicating with the athletes regarding the weather concerns.

As someone who was travelling over 1000 miles (and meeting family who was travelling from the other direction), I'm trying to figure out what to do. I have hotels and a house rented (of course I didn't buy travel insurance....possible lesson learned, but I've traveled for tons of races and haven't had this happen yet).

My question is....what's this area of the country like? Is there anything to do there when it's raining cats and dogs, even if I can't race?? This sucks. Kudos to Kinetic Multisports for getting ahead of this and already starting the communication.

Sorry about your bad luck. My wife and I are only traveling three hours to savageman. We are still planning on going even if the race is canceled. My parents are watching the three young kids so it will still be nice to get away for 2 days even if there is no race. My wife and I like to hike so I imagine we will be hiking a lot, even in the rain.

If I understood correctly, I think Kinetic Multi will make a final decision by noon on Wednesday.

Google's latest crisis map has me thinking this could go either way. Deep creek is right on the edge. https://google.org/crisismap/2018-florence

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Weather possibly impacting Savageman...what to do... [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Registration closes tonight and I was waiting to the last minute to sign up, but I'm not going to roll the dice if they are making the call on Wednesday. In terms of something else to do; how many trips up the Wall (full lenghth) to Everest? We need 29,029 feet.
Quote Reply
Re: Weather possibly impacting Savageman...what to do... [SBR140] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBR140 wrote:
Registration closes tonight and I was waiting to the last minute to sign up, but I'm not going to roll the dice if they are making the call on Wednesday. In terms of something else to do; how many trips up the Wall (full lenghth) to Everest? We need 29,029 feet.

Hammond Street to Poplar Street (4 straight town blocks)

3 blocks of approach, 1 block is the wall
.2 miles
178 feet

Everest = 163 reps, 33 miles total.

Quote Reply
Re: Weather possibly impacting Savageman...what to do... [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see the Morgantown marathon is this weekend. It looks to only be about an hour from Deep Creek Park. I guess if there area is still ok to visit even with the rain, we could still make the trip and have some fun, and jump into a running event too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I talked to my wife. We are definitely going even if the race in canceled. I'll make a decision on Saturday night if I feel the bike course is safe enough for me to do my own private 79 duathlon on Sunday.

Quote Reply
Re: Weather possibly impacting Savageman...what to do... [SBR140] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBR140 wrote:

For Everesting, recommend Overlook Pass (Wisp) or Bowman Hill. Base of Westernport to the mile out of town would be similar. About the fewest miles realistically possible to get an Everesting in.

Lots of new mtb trails have been made in past 3 years within Deep Creek State Park. Good for hiking/running as well.

SavageMan in a hurricane = no fun. Spring Lick, Savage River, and Dry Run will be raging though.

Savage River Dam overtopped last weekend necessitating first ever use of the spillway, and town of Bloomington pre-emptively evacuated. Don't know the extent of the damage to Savage River Rd and whether it has been or can be cleared by race day, but my guess is considering the precarious water level of the dam currently that local authorities are going to say No to the event unless it is clear heavy rain is going to be miss the area.
Quote Reply
Re: Weather possibly impacting Savageman...what to do... [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm flying up from Florida for this race. I seem to be cursed when it comes to SavageMan.
Registered in early 2016 for that year's race, but got injured in the spring and had back surgery that summer, deferred my entry
Was ready to fly up in 2017, but Hurricane Irma hit two days before the race and all flights were cancelled and no power in the house for a week. Deferred my entry
Ready to fly up and race this year and there are three hurricanes in the Atlantic (somehow none hitting Florida) and it might get called off two days before our flight.

I will say this about the Kinetic Team: they have been fantastic with communication and flexible with their deferrals. I really hope this event continues, despite some down years in terms of registrations. In 2016 I was registered for the Nation's Tri - SavageMan double and the team at Nation's Tri was not going to help one bit with a deferral or potential refund, despite me telling them 4.5 months out that I was not racing. The Kinetic Team was great from the jump.

I want a damn brick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just saw this on Facebook:

Dear SavageMan Athlete,
We are sorry to announce that the 2018 SavageMan Triathlon has been cancelled. With the regional impact of Hurricane Florence becoming clearer a State of Emergency for Maryland has been issued. Police and medical support staff that were dedicated to the event are being deployed elsewhere in Maryland and to other states being impacted by the hurricane. This decision was not easy to make, but it is in the best interest of the athletes and the surrounding communities.
Athlete shirts and swag will be mailed out in the coming weeks to all pre-registered athletes. You can also expect an email from us in late October with your 2019 discount code good for 50% of the entry fee you paid. Next years SavageMan is set for September 14-15, 2019.
Lastly, there are 9 races left in our 2018 racing season and we hope to see you at one of those. Use discount code "Florence2018" to get 10% off any of our remaining races.
Our thoughts are with those being impacted by Hurricane Florence. Be prepared, stay safe and look out for each other this weekend.
The Kinetic Multisports Team
Quote Reply
Re: Weather possibly impacting Savageman...what to do... [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yea, not sure how much say they really had but seems like the right call. with some of the talk around here about it possibly being on life support i'm glad they've announced the dates for next year. we're in the 8-10" of rain band, so probably wouldn't have tried to make it up (with making it back being more the issue) anyway
#getthebrick
Last edited by: Willi3ja: Sep 11, 18 13:51
Quote Reply
Re: Weather possibly impacting Savageman...what to do... [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
instigator wrote:
Just saw this on Facebook:

Dear SavageMan Athlete,
We are sorry to announce that the 2018 SavageMan Triathlon has been cancelled. With the regional impact of Hurricane Florence becoming clearer a State of Emergency for Maryland has been issued. Police and medical support staff that were dedicated to the event are being deployed elsewhere in Maryland and to other states being impacted by the hurricane. This decision was not easy to make, but it is in the best interest of the athletes and the surrounding communities.
Athlete shirts and swag will be mailed out in the coming weeks to all pre-registered athletes. You can also expect an email from us in late October with your 2019 discount code good for 50% of the entry fee you paid. Next years SavageMan is set for September 14-15, 2019.
Lastly, there are 9 races left in our 2018 racing season and we hope to see you at one of those. Use discount code "Florence2018" to get 10% off any of our remaining races.
Our thoughts are with those being impacted by Hurricane Florence. Be prepared, stay safe and look out for each other this weekend.
The Kinetic Multisports Team

Yep.....

So, anyone who is local....what is there to do in the area during a rainstorm? I'm not even talking SBR related...I've got a house reserved so I might as well use it. Unless, of course, there's someone who wants a deal on a 3 bedroom rental house...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dprocket wrote:
Yep.....

So, anyone who is local....what is there to do in the area during a rainstorm? I'm not even talking SBR related...I've got a house reserved so I might as well use it. Unless, of course, there's someone who wants a deal on a 3 bedroom rental house...

Not local, but I know the area better than the locals.

It's an area to play outdoors, so if it's gonna be a monsoon all weekend I'd probably pass it up. You might find that due to the SavageMan cancelation you'll get a partial refund. Maybe. These are local, family-owned rental businesses out there; tend to be friendly.

But if you can get outside:
  • Bring the damn bike and ride, ride, ride. Do the SavageMan course, and then one or two of the Garrett County Gran Fondo routes, which don't really overlap with Savageman routes and are every bit as fantastic or more.
  • Hike, hike, hike. Creeks and rivers will be raging. Meadow Mountain Trail leads to a stunning overlook of entirety Savage River valley. Monroe Run or Poplar Lick are 5 and 7 mile one-ways that take you down to the valley. Or Lost Lands in southern part of county, similar sort of hike but terminates at Potomac River. Lots of hiking within DCL State Park, but eh, I dunno, if I'm hiking I'm going to the remote areas
  • Swallow Falls - will be raging. Easy, family-friendly
  • Casselman Bridge and Spruce Forest Artisan Village

We have a vacation home out there. We tend to not go when the weather sucks. Not much going on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this is ST, so when the race is cancelled, we GOT TO do something in its place. But do we really? Could it be a great time simply to relax and reflect, and enjoy the total leisure of doing NOTHING. Perhaps read the book "waiting for the weekend" by Witold Rybczynski...?
Quote Reply
Re: Weather possibly impacting Savageman...what to do... [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
I know this is ST, so when the race is cancelled, we GOT TO do something in its place. But do we really? Could it be a great time simply to relax and reflect, and enjoy the total leisure of doing NOTHING. Perhaps read the book "waiting for the weekend" by Witold Rybczynski...?

Of course. In fact, I likely will relax and reflect. But I'd probably like to do it near Deep Creek Park in MD where I have a cool lake house already paid for. I'm trying to figure out what else I can do in the area to relax, since I won't be racing triathlon on Saturday and Sunday and spending the rest if my time prepping/recovering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m biased but I would say keep the travel plans and spend the weekend at Deep Creek. It’s an awesome area! Kudos to Kinetic for getting in front of this but I get the impression it was a call out of their hands. This thing seems to be staying south of here but I would imagine most of the first responders and traffic control folks will be deployed wherever they are needed and not to babysit us. It was interesting here last weekend. I rode the 60 course on Saturday and by Sunday Savage River Rd was closed down and people were asked to leave.

I would urge everybody to check out Garrett County. Kyle listed a bunch of things to do and he is right it is mostly an outdoor area but I’m betting the weather will be fine. I’m planning on doing the 80 course minus the swim unsupported unless the weather is too awful bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check this out. Looks like people are planning an unsupported "Duathlon" of sorts. You might be interested. https://www.facebook.com/...ctive_tab=discussion
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live quite a ways south of there, and I guess we are about to get slammed, but if you were talking about a race here I'd say WTF are you doing even coming here?

If it gets even a little bit bad, here's what will happen: nothing will be open; power will go out; your flights will be delayed or canceled; possibly other stuff, worse than those things.

Stay home, shut off the power, and boil all your water. It'll be just the same only the grocery stores will still be open.

----
Michael
Quote Reply