Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironma'am wrote:
Where is the best place to look up the wind forecast? I’m trying to decide between two front wheel options, an enve 4 vs a hed 6. I’m small and on 650 wheels.

Not quite the same, but my wife rides a Zipp 404/808 combo on her P3. I ride dual 404's.

For wind forecasts .. good luck. Try finding Guy Hagi's forecast on Facebook or Hawaii News Now. He usually gives race day forecasts.

Or Accuweather.

Honestly, it's going to be calm in town. Winds will start picking up from cemetery northwards. Out in the resort areas you'll have a headwind with a cross wind component on it all the way to Kawaihae junction, although the winds should vanish around the Mauna Kea Hotel for a bit. Descending to Kawaihae from the junction you'll have a headwind or no wind. Making the right turn onto the highway to Mahukona and the Hawi climb will be strong crosswinds. These can be troublesome. As you pass into a grading cut the wind vanishes then when you exit the far side the wind will actually be from the opposite direction for a moment then switch to the direction it had been coming from.

The climb to Hawi is usually a headwind. On descent for the return you usually have a tailwind, but not always (2009 had everyone peddling down that hill). Winds are usually on the opposite side for the return to Kawaihae (unless a serious wind shift has occurred). Climbing to Kawaihae Junction is usually, but not always, calm. Make the right turn onto the Queen K and ..... unless you're up with the pros the winds will have shifted direction and you'll have a headwind all the way back to town (or the airport anyway).

The crosswind gusts on Akoni Pule Highway (Kawaihae to Hawi) are the reason disc wheels aren't allowed. The crosswinds and gusts can be as strong out by the resorts and all the way through the airport as well. Odds are extremely high you're going to have headwinds both directions.

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Last edited by: KonaCoffee: Oct 9, 18 11:28
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironma'am wrote:
Where is the best place to look up the wind forecast? I’m trying to decide between two front wheel options, an enve 4 vs a hed 6. I’m small and on 650 wheels.

what's your rear wheel?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HED9
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Accident:

Folks we've had the first extremely serious accident of the week this morning. A competitor is in North Hawaii Community Hospital with multiple (7??) broken ribs, a broken collar bone and a punctured lung after a car tangled with him. While that's a good hospital to be in, it's not what his plan was for the week. It'll be some time before he can even be airlifted to Honolulu for better facilities.

Please be careful out there, stay out of aero position whenever you're in town, on a narrow road/shoulder or near traffic. The training is done. Keep your head on a swivel and act like everyone is out to get you.

The cars always win these engagements. You have to make it to the race in order to finish. Try not take mending bones home.

And no, I have no details other than what I mentioned above.

Aloha.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Last edited by: KonaCoffee: Oct 9, 18 21:36
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EDIT: Updated the original post to add emphasis to the Mauna Lani turn danger zone. Fixed the formatting error preventing half the post from appearing.

Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [sneeuwaap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you by chance have recommendations as to where actually park up by Walmart area? I assume leaving the car in their lot for the entire day is not a good idea...

I'm probably not looking in the right place but don't see any official info on parking:(
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friskyDingo wrote:
Do you by chance have recommendations as to where actually park up by Walmart area? I assume leaving the car in their lot for the entire day is not a good idea...

I'm probably not looking in the right place but don't see any official info on parking:(

It's probably ok, but if she's coming in the afternoon, I'd park closer in. If she drops down Henry, there's a back entrance into the lot for Long's. That wouldn't be nearly as long a walk. I've attempted to sketch it here - excuse the unintentional "off-road" bits and the crop (250KB limit).

Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [sneeuwaap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. We parked there yesterday and earlier today, but today noticed a couple of guys putting "90 min customer only parking" signs all over the lot. No idea if it's enforced or not.

Seems a little bizarre that there isn't at least some official info on parking, let alone an actual race lot that wouldn't charge $10/hr 24hrs a day 7 days a week. I know things are expensive in HI but $150+ in parking for a race day? Urgh
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Kona Survival Guide - All new 40th Anniversary Race Edition [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My experience there is a few years old, but they didn’t enforce it then. It would seem to be bad business.

Good luck tomorrow!

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, if she's coming midday or later, Kuakini will be reopened south of Hualalai, so she could come down Henry to the Queen K, turn left (south), and then right on Kuakini. Then take that to a left into the parking lot behind Humpty's, Jack's Diving Locker, Island Lava Java, etc. Or before that left, take the left down Walua and find street parking. If you walk from there down to Ali'i, that puts you at about mile 1 on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
found it

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply

Prev Next