Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to take a Wippermann chain from 'new' to 'race optimized?'
Quote | Reply
First, I KNOW I should have just got a Optimized chain from Premier.

But ... I have a new Connex chain that I want to use as a dedicated race chain. And Squirt is what I have, like, and what travels well, so that's what gets run.

From what I can gather, Connex chains are best after some run-in. It would also give some peace of mind to get in a few rides on the chain to make sure it isn't installed incorrectly, etc etc.

Would this be the best protocol, then?
1. make a 'full on effort' stripping of the chain, in order to remove the factory grease, following the Molten Wax protocol at https://moltenspeedwax.com/pages/clean-your-chain.
2. initial Squirt application on rollers, wait 5 mins, wipe, second application, wipe, per Squirt's directions.
3. ride 50? 100? 500? miles, dry conditions, reapplying Squirt as needed.
4. immediately pre-race, repeat 1 and 2? Or, would the second complete stripping be overkill?
Quote Reply
Re: How to take a Wippermann chain from 'new' to 'race optimized?' [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you intend to leave out the three induction heating / oil quench stages after the first stripping?
Last edited by: FlashBazbo: Sep 7, 18 13:24
Quote Reply
Re: How to take a Wippermann chain from 'new' to 'race optimized?' [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are implied
Quote Reply
Re: How to take a Wippermann chain from 'new' to 'race optimized?' [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
Connex chains are best after some run-in.
Any chain performs best after some initial run-in, including Dura-Ace, KMC, and SRAM. Ride around 50 miles or so on factory grease first to break it in before stripping it. Otherwise you will be leaving metal shavings in the lube you intend to use on the chain.
Quote Reply