Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dallas Incident: murder or not? [Danno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Danno wrote:

Well, it doesn't seem like that group is arguing racism, but rather that the giving of the bible was somehow inappropriate. Seriously, if they're making an issue out of that in THIS case, that group has too much time on their hands.

The group's argument that I was referencing that seemed to point to a racist undertone was this section:

Kemp has also been criticized by activists who wondered whether a black defendant would get the same treatment."

To that I say it is ridiculous. In this situation we have a black judge, a black DA and several members of the jury that were black. Why wouldn't the judge have also given a black defendant a hug if the facts were otherwise the same?
Quote Reply
Re: Dallas Incident: murder or not? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
ACE wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
shoff14 wrote:
At minimum it should have been manslaughter. I would say the jury most likely got it right. Even though she was off duty, she had every opportunity to follow department protocol and take a step back out of the apartment.

This is a tragedy for everyone. She just received 10 years for the murder of an unarmed innocent black man in his own apartment. The sentence doesn't seen long enough to me. She will probably do 7 years, write a book and go on a tour.

How long should she have gotten? Definitely a hard case for everyone involved. While I don't think she has the heart of a murdered or wanted to kill anyone, she intentionally shot him, even if mistaken.

At the end of the day, you can't simply walk into another persons home, shoot and kill them without consequences. In that sense the jury got it right with the guilty verdict.

The question on amount of time in prison, knowing it was a clear mistake, is much harder for me. 10 years is a long time but could have easily seen it be longer.

You continue to amaze me, how do you square this circle? She doesn't have the mind of a murderer but intentionally shot a man.

10 years seems ridiculous to me.

Most people who kill in war or kill an intruder in their home or in self-defense, generally aren't considered murderers.

I still haven't seen any evidence to suggest this was something more than a terrible mistake. I'd be the first to argue she acted recklessly and stupidly (e.g. by not just calling the police instead of going in) but I don't think she's a menace to society.

It’s going to be a miserable 10 yrs for this pretty, white, ex cop. 10 horrible years indeed.
Quote Reply
Re: Dallas Incident: murder or not? [OakCliffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OakCliffTri wrote:
Danno wrote:

Well, it doesn't seem like that group is arguing racism, but rather that the giving of the bible was somehow inappropriate. Seriously, if they're making an issue out of that in THIS case, that group has too much time on their hands.

The group's argument that I was referencing that seemed to point to a racist undertone was this section:

Kemp has also been criticized by activists who wondered whether a black defendant would get the same treatment."

To that I say it is ridiculous. In this situation we have a black judge, a black DA and several members of the jury that were black. Why wouldn't the judge have also given a black defendant a hug if the facts were otherwise the same?

I know I’ve heard of studies that show black people often have negative biases against black people too.
Quote Reply
Re: Dallas Incident: murder or not? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did anybody see this? Key witness in the case, a guy who lived across from the victim, was shot and killed last night. Um...

(CNN)A man who was a key witness in the murder trial of former Dallas police officer Amber Guyger was fatally shot Friday in the parking lot of his apartment complex, according to attorney Lee Merritt.
Joshua Brown was a neighbor of shooting victim Botham Jean, who was sitting in his apartment in September 2018 when Guyger walked inside and shot him to death. Brown says he lived directly across the hall from Jean.

https://www.cnn.com/...or-killed/index.html

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Dallas Incident: murder or not? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do think this is probably a coincidence. To be honest, I think that her fellow cops don't mind that she was convicted. I think that her actions show that she was weak and unfit to be a police officer, and she probably isn't the kind of person you would want coming in as your backup.

Of course, I guess they could have let the guy testify to get her put away, and then killed him to send a signal for any future people. I would hate to think that cops would do that - but I guess it only takes one.
Quote Reply
Re: Dallas Incident: murder or not? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
I do think this is probably a coincidence. To be honest, I think that her fellow cops don't mind that she was convicted. I think that her actions show that she was weak and unfit to be a police officer, and she probably isn't the kind of person you would want coming in as your backup.

Of course, I guess they could have let the guy testify to get her put away, and then killed him to send a signal for any future people. I would hate to think that cops would do that - but I guess it only takes one.

Boy, I dunno man. He moved into a new apartment complex. He pulls up to that complex and gets out of his car. A silver 4-door sedan is waiting for him. He is shot multiple times, then the silver 4-door sedan speeds off. He had no criminal history. No known enemies. No apparent motive. Does not appear to be a robbery. Sure, it could be pure coincidence, but, wow.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Dallas Incident: murder or not? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can see how some dirty cops would want to send a message to anyone thinking about testifying against any of them in the future. If it was LEO, I bet it was probably less about this verdict and more about sending a message for the future. It is sad to think that it could be the case, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Freaking nuts.

I didn’t necessarily think it was cop retribution at first. Perhaps a family member, unknown lover, etc...

Either way there is more to this case OR his background. Not sure which.
Quote Reply
Re: Dallas Incident: murder or not? [Guff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, apparently the killing of Joshua Brown was the result of a drug deal gone bad.

https://www.yahoo.com/...news-topstories.html

If story is true, he shot someone during the deal and then was shot and killed by the first guy's relative.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
Well, apparently the killing of Joshua Brown was the result of a drug deal gone bad.

If story is true, he shot someone during the deal and then was shot and killed by the first guy's relative.

The story does not make much sense though. How did the attackers take his gun, but somehow forget to take the weed and the money? How does that work? Also, who drives 4 hours to buy weed? How did the fact he was a drug dealer not come out during the trial?
Quote Reply
Re: Dallas Incident: murder or not? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are too eager to jump to a conclusion. The weed and money were found in his apartment after a search warrant was issued. Do you really think that these guys would take the time to go search his apartment after shooting him twice with him laying on the ground, all while another person in the car bleeding?

They probably took whatever he had during the transaction.
Quote Reply
Re: Dallas Incident: murder or not? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

The story does not make much sense though. How did the attackers take his gun, but somehow forget to take the weed and the money? How does that work? Also, who drives 4 hours to buy weed? How did the fact he was a drug dealer not come out during the trial?

I'm with chappy on this one. The facts, as we know them, just do not add up.

I never saw any mention that Brown's body was found with a gun, when the initial story of Brown's death came out. Anyone got a link showing otherwise?

Quote Reply

Prev Next