Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Nutrition for a 70.3?
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

I was curious what you take during the ride portion for a half ironman? I realize nutrition is totally subjective and varies from person to person but just wanted to get a sense.

I'm doing my first 70.3 in a couple of weeks so I've been experimenting with different things on my long rides. I think I've settled on the following plan for the ride:

3 Bottles: 2 at start (1 Gatorade, 1 water), 3rd bottle swap at 58k mark (another Gatorade)
1 Bar (10-15k mark)
Gel every 20-30 minutes (4-5 total)

I'm considering dropping the bar altogether and going all gels. It seems most athletes avoid solid foods. Psychologically I feel better with the bar, even if it's slower to peel and eat than a gel - the solid food feels like it will give me more lasting power on the run, but again - that's probably just in my head.

Would love to hear what you guys take during the bike and appreciate any advice you can share based on what I've outlined above.

Thanks!
Alex
Last edited by: blayze: Sep 5, 18 20:47
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Nutrition for a 70.3? [blayze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's personal and you have to do what works for you, but...

I do liquid nutrition (Infinite), 2 swigs every 20 min. Sip of water every 5-10 min (not big, just stay wet). A gel every 45 or so. Keeps me hydrated and energized.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even if it only works in your head....if it works do it.
I always cut a Clif Bar in thirds and eat every 20 mins one piece, no matter full or half distance.
Just the amount of bars change. First 2/3rd of the bike I try solid then change to liquid (means 1bottle with calories,1 bta water refill. I only use gel on the run.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 gel at the start of the bike and then a gel every 20 to 30 min depending on the terrain.

I drink when I'm thirsty, most of the time I'm less than 2 bottles of Gatorade or Infinit but I'm pretty small. If you are larger you may need more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One bottle of concentrated Infinit in an aero bottle on the downtube (~100 cal every 20 mins), chased with water from my BTA bottle. Simple and easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Liquid: 1 xlab torpedo filled with high 5 iso sportsdrink and 1 elite chrono bottle with water just to wash down gels.

Gels:
- Start of the bike 1 clif shot with caffeĂŻne
- 25min SIS iso gel
- 1h: High 5 iso with caff
- 90min: SIS iso gel
- 2h: High 5 iso with caff
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Nutrition for a 70.3? [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
One bottle of concentrated Infinit in an aero bottle on the downtube (~100 cal every 20 mins), chased with water from my BTA bottle. Simple and easy.

I basically do this as well, except use Gu Rocktane ( w 2 nuun tabs on the downtube) and water BTA. As much additional water during the race as needed, but minimally get through the cals for sure. Easy on the stomach unless I take too little water or too much of the concentrated solution.

Total= ~1000 calories (250 carbs)
400 mg K
2000 mg Na
140 mg caffeine

Dale

*edited to add-that's for ~3:00 bike (all my HIM races are hilly) and ~333 cal/hr
I've practiced and can get 300-400 cals/hr but above that, I have issues with GI upset
Last edited by: dtoce: Sep 6, 18 12:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the responses guys - the feedback is helpful. Feels like I'm in the right ballpark.
Quote Reply