Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Venerable HED Cycling seemingly falters following the late Steve HED’s departure [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
(looking at you Volkswagen and your move from metal to plastic window clips, bastards).

This made me laugh. Then i recognized your name from the vortex.
Quote Reply
Re: Venerable HED Cycling seemingly falters following the late Steve HED’s departure [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I got out of this entire thread:

1. Dude gets a bad set of wheels
2. Makes a single comment about HED leadership
3. Thread blows up about dudes single comment
4. People who replied have a big sense of butt hurt over dudes single comment ignoring the fact that the wheels were bad in the first place and lucky dude didn't get hurt.
5. If Anne (who ever she is) had read the OP and if she is worth her salt as a leader would probably own the problem and fix the issue which it looks like HED did with out all the salt and butt hurt.

6. Typical ST at its best.
Quote Reply
Re: Venerable HED Cycling seemingly falters following the late Steve HED’s departure [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:

4. People who replied have a big sense of butt hurt over dudes single comment ignoring the fact that the wheels were bad in the first place and lucky dude didn't get hurt.
5. If Anne (who ever she is) had read the OP and if she is worth her salt as a leader would probably own the problem and fix the issue which it looks like HED did with out all the salt and butt hurt.

7. that was a hell of a "single comment."
8. you'd know who anne hed is if you followed any of the links provided, or actually read the thread.
9. typical ST at its best.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Post deleted by tri-tele [ In reply to ]
Re: Venerable HED Cycling seemingly falters following the late Steve HED’s departure [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are you sure?

the OP's issue were with HED Vanquish wheels, on HED's site those are advertised as tubeless compatible.
Quote Reply
Re: Venerable HED Cycling seemingly falters following the late Steve HED’s departure [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are correct! Post deleted.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: Venerable HED Cycling seemingly falters following the late Steve HED’s departure [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm talking about the accusation of "personal attack" when clearly the OP was talking about his wheels.

No I don't know who Anne is.....she is probably a fine person...but that wasn't my point. The OP pointed out what is clearly a defective product that others on this forum may have on their bike's yet a big....albeit not all.....part of the thread was about the OP making a personal attack. That is absurd.
Quote Reply
Re: Venerable HED Cycling seemingly falters following the late Steve HED’s departure [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are referring to me, I’m happy to respond. I welcome good and bad critiques of products and have delivered some myself. We all benefit from that provided it is done in a reasonable way. The problem I have is primarily with the thread title. It is so over-the-top and absurd as if he is trying to catch headlines. Instead of simply referencing a poor product and/or poor customer service, he draws WAY overly broad conclusions about the Company and attacks the new female leader, invoking emotional feelings after the death of Steve where she has no basis to respond. That does not provide any value to us when considering the product or the Company. It’s just a personal attack. That has nothing to do with the wheels or the related service. So, I called him out on it. That’s done. You can disagree with me and that’s ok too. Let’s move on.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Apr 5, 19 9:46
Quote Reply
Re: Venerable HED Cycling seemingly falters following the late Steve HED’s departure [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember this poster also had an odd over the top 'open letter' about the 3T Strata. This guy is the definition of squeaky wheel, but I don't understand what he wants to get (other than attention).

davews09 wrote:
On July 3rd 3T sent an e-mail to 3T newsletter subscribers announcing the new 3T Strada Due (essentially a Strada with a FD mount slapped on):

[The full e-mail can be viewed HERE as a PDF]

I subsequently send an e-mail to 3T to give my thoughts and ask for comment. After nearly two months without response (despite a follow-up from me), I thought I'd post the e-mail here to get feedback form the ST community (and possibly from 3T):

Gerard Vroomen / 3T,

I have a Strada. I love the bike. I shouldn't care, but in an odd way I'm disappointed by the announcement of the Due. The Due goes against the 1x DNA of the Strada. It's like you're taking a step back, or compromising, just because the "market" isn't "ready" for 1x. You describe the development of the Due as though it was the natural evolution of the Strada ("Phase Three"), but I find it very hard to believe you intended to have a 2x Strada at the time you announced the Strada. "Let's take a 1x optimized frame and slap a FD on it for Phase Three." Yeah, right. Following are your two primary arguments for the Due and my respective rebuttals:

Argument #1
You state that "having [an] extra gear can be an advantage," but how is that the case? Once the 3T 9-32 cassettes are available (the wait has been very frustrating btw. I'm still waiting for the Overdrive to be available), how will 2x provide any advantage? Let's look at two examples:

Customer A: Not very fit and slightly overweight. Wants a top of the line bike with lots of gearing so she can comfortably crest the the hills on the local group ride.
- Option 1: 2x: Compact (52/36) with an 11-30
- Option 2: 1x with 38T up front and a 9-32 cassette
These purchase options provide near-identical gearing at the high end (32.4 vs. 32.1 gear inches, respectively) and at the low end both options will get you above 40MPH at 120RPM. While you'd theoretically get a bit more with the 2x setup, why would you even bother pedaling above 40mph?

Customer B: MOP Wattie Ink triathlete that thinks he needs to run a 54/39 because that's what Sebastian Kienle does.
- Option 1: Shimano DA Di2: 54/39 rings with an 11-28
- Option 2: 1x with a 42T up front and a 9-32 cassette
These purchase options provide near-identical gearing at the low end (127.6 vs. 126.0 gear inches, respectively) and at the high end the 1x build actually gives you a bit more (37.6 vs. 35.2 gear inches)

Argument #2
You're second point is that the Strata isn't optimized for electronic drivetrains. I don't understand how this is relevant as you can run the Strada setup with a XTR Di2 clutched RD or one of the newly-announced clutched Ultegra Di2 RDs. I suppose this argument applies if you want to run Campy, but who in their right mind runs Campy? And has anyone ever actually said to you "I love the Strada but want to run Campy"?, I doubt it.

I guess if you want to ride up and down Monte Zoncolan all day and want to be able to pedal when you're above 40mph, there's a place for 2x, but otherwise, I don't see it. Why didn't you instead invest in a campaign to show how there is no benefit to a 2x setup in any realistic scenario? Help me out here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:

No I don't know who Anne is.....she is probably a fine person...but that wasn't my point.

It's the OP's point. He called her and the entire company incompetent because he got a bad wheelset. That's over the top. It's fine to talk about product problems. Extrapolating to the the job performance of specific individuals or the direction of entire companies based on one purchase is what we call here "n=1". It's not rationale. I doubt there's a single company, even those with the most stellar reputations, that don't have a horror story here or elsewhere on the Web.
Quote Reply
Re: Venerable HED Cycling seemingly falters following the late Steve HED’s departure [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I bet she would disagree with you and take responsibility for her company. Its a leadership thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't the OP acknowledge they did the right thing by getting him new equipment as part of his rant? And then the OP still made the "personal attack" on the character of the new owner and how HED is "seemingly faltering"?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe; do you Think OP has given her a fair chance to show leadership, take that responsibility or whatever appropriate response, by posting the story here without her knowledge or participation? I don’t. Hence, my posts.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Apr 5, 19 13:52
Quote Reply
Re: Venerable HED Cycling seemingly falters following the late Steve HED’s departure [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Now on sale in the classified!

Thanks for the plug. Wheels sold.
Quote Reply
Re: Venerable HED Cycling seemingly falters following the late Steve HED’s departure [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To recap did you get a new pair of wheels from HED and sale the "defective" wheels in the ST classifieds?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Venerable HED Cycling seemingly falters following the late Steve HED’s departure [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure thing. Glad to know someone will continue to ride HED wheels and that you were able to rid yourself of such atrocities.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Apr 9, 19 10:22
Quote Reply
Re: Venerable HED Cycling seemingly falters following the late Steve HED’s departure [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. Sold the replacement wheels - the defective wheels were returned to HED.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, this thread is WAY OVER THE TOP. However I just had a not-so-good HED experience and didn't feel like starting a new topic.

I just bought a HED Jet 60 back wheel, and I just noticed today that the carbon fairing is completely detached in two spots. The detached area measures 4 inches in one spot, and 4.25 on the same side just a few inches away. Seeing as I just bought the wheels only last month and rode them just once, it's a bit of an unpleasant surprise. I bought this wheel during HED's sale and I was told there were a lot of orders placed, which led to a bit of a lead time delivery; but I wish there QC would've caught this.

I know HED's customer service is superb, at least from two prior purchases and a crash replacement -- that went every smoothly; and my Jet 60 C2 from almost a decade ago is still in great condition. However, it's still a hassle and disappointing. And, quite honestly, it does make me question other possible QC aspects related to assembly.
Last edited by: BT_DreamChaser: Apr 22, 19 18:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:

Note: More about Anne Hed, who's been a co owner all along, and the main reason that the company grew and thrived (won a car in a race, turned in car to bank for $$ and that was the seed money to get things going, back in the late 80's) Of course even in the "best" companies, something goes awry. In this case, OP got issue resolved. Bye now.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply

Prev Next