Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Crit Bike: 2014 Venge Vs. 2018 CAAD12
Quote | Reply
I'd like to buy a bike that I don't have to worry about too much for riding in criterium races.

My current bike is a 2012 S-Works Venge with DA9000 groupset and FLO30 Wheels. I just love it, but do not want to use it for racing in criteriums because I'd be upset if I smashed up this frame ($$$).

Option #1
A local shop is selling the 2018 CAAD12 (Shimano 105, rim brakes) for $1100. I test rode it and it didn't feel great, but it had flat pedals on it and the position was really upright - I imagine it would feel nicer if I made it more aggressive.

Option #2
A coworker is selling a frameset to a 2014 Specialized Venge Pro, including fork, seatpost and handlebars for $750. I'd need to buy some used wheels, groupset, bar tape, etc.

Which of these would be the better crit bike? If I smashed either of the above frames I would be disappointed but not heartbroken. I imagine the Venge is more aero, and I know I like the geometry since it matches my 2012 S-works Venge that I ride daily. I know a lot of people use the CAAD12 for crits though, probably because it's aluminum and wont shatter if I crash hard.
Which option should I go with?
Quote Reply
Re: Crit Bike: 2014 Venge Vs. 2018 CAAD12 [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even though I have a CAAD12 and love it, for you get the Venge and cut and paste. I got the CAAD for essentially same reason, but my "afraid to crash bike" is a Supersix.
Quote Reply
Re: Crit Bike: 2014 Venge Vs. 2018 CAAD12 [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The whole notion of a crit bike is so silly.

Whichever bike you want to actually go out and ride. There's no difference between a road bike and a crit bike and a training bike and all that stuff from a performance standpoint.

Just ride what you want.

All of the worst crashes I've seen or been involved in have been in road races, and I've raced about 10x more crits than RRs.
Last edited by: rubik: Sep 5, 18 14:35
Quote Reply
Re: Crit Bike: 2014 Venge Vs. 2018 CAAD12 [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
The whole notion of a crit bike is so silly.

Whichever bike you want to actually go out and ride. There's no difference between a road bike and a crit bike and a training bike and all that stuff from a performance standpoint.

Just ride what you want.

All of the worst crashes I've seen or been involved in have been in road races, and I've raced about 10x more crits than RRs.

I guess this is option 3 for the OP in the all so typical ST reply fashion;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ride the bike you have.
Quote Reply
Re: Crit Bike: 2014 Venge Vs. 2018 CAAD12 [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Ride the bike you have.

You don't seem to give a reason for why I should race my expensive bike. I'm worried about crashing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cbr shadow wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
Ride the bike you have.

You don't seem to give a reason for why I should race my expensive bike. I'm worried about crashing it.

Stop worrying. Ride.
The typical bike on the start line of any crit I race is a $4000+ bike.
Yes, bikes get broken, but they also get broken on group rides, casual rides to the beer store, and dropping them against a table and snapping the top tube (me, oops).

You don't need another bike, you need to find some confidence.
Quote Reply