Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Bell in Races
Quote | Reply
Is it against the rules to have a bell on the bike?

I believe it’s worth the aero penality.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Bell in Races [Reactions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reactions wrote:

I dunno, but I've been looking around for a bell that isn't too garish on a Cervelo, and it's hard to find.

Don't get the low-profile Knog one that looks super cool like a metal ring - the main problem with it is that it constantly dings when you're hitting bumps so you sound like the pied piper, and then when you actually DO want to ding it, it's not loud enough.

Although to be fair, if you're ok with the constant low-level dinging to alert others of your presence, that 'could' work. Prob not loud enough at speed though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reactions wrote:

USAT doesn't have a rule against it, I've seen it in races.

IM - Don't know, but they have bigger fish to fry.

Read this article written by Dan, hilarious and true.

Mrs. T's Chicago triathlon: the world championship of 'whim racing'

Grow with data: Dynamic Sports Data | eBay store
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In New Brunswick where I do one of my races, it is technically legally required. But it is not enforced. Never seen it, even there, except at a kid's race. In that case, if you have a bell, you also have to have tassels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see why it would be against the rules.

My 5 year old last week saw one at a bike shop and now desperately wants one. Told her she has to earn it. She needs to work on her letters and numbers for 30 minutes every night over the next 15 days. So far she has been very driven to earn this bell.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Bell in Races [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Reactions wrote:

I dunno, but I've been looking around for a bell that isn't too garish on a Cervelo, and it's hard to find.

Don't get the low-profile Knog one that looks super cool like a metal ring - the main problem with it is that it constantly dings when you're hitting bumps so you sound like the pied piper, and then when you actually DO want to ding it, it's not loud enough.

Although to be fair, if you're ok with the constant low-level dinging to alert others of your presence, that 'could' work. Prob not loud enough at speed though.

x2 on the knog - it constantly dings, but not very loudly.

I also have the spurcycle bell and would recommend it. It is reasonably small size, has a clear loud tone and only rings when I hit it. As a recovering roadie, I resisted, but find it helps immensely on bike trails. Ring the bell and people move over... shout on your left and people swerve.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Bell in Races [p4ckfill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That Spurcycle looks awesome! Seemed pricey at first, but given I would use it likely forever, and it looks great, I'm seriously considering it.

I wonder if it would fit on the bullhorns of my TT bike. I'm not exactly burning up the bike course, but I'm usually passing and not often being passed on the bike, so I don't mind losing a few watts of drag from the bell to trade for a bell that gets folks out of my way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This seems like it would get the job done: http://loudbicycle.com/ Maybe worth it for a B race just to see how people react.....
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Bell in Races [D_PRC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure there are mute athletes that would need to use it since they can't say: on your left...

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Bell in Races [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
I'm sure there are mute athletes that would need to use it since they can't say: on your left...

Dude - I would seriously lose my voice in minutes in some races given how many times I gotta yell 'on your left', particular in 4+ loop courses where noobs are wobbling across the road. Not all races are like this, bu I'd kill for a bell for those loop course races. I love doing the nonstop passing, but it def gets hazardous out there with the big speed discrepancies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Reactions and All,

How about an aerodynamic .... CO2 cartridge powered ..... very loud ... minature air horn or whistle?

Something that says .... "ON YOUR LEFT" with authority.

Rework the horn below to Triathlon aero standards .................

"The world’s loudest bicycle horn, the Airzound easily clamps onto any 22-26mm handlebar. Ideal for urban riding when you need to let traffic know you’re there! This revolutionary bike air horn requires no batteries or cartridges and refills with any bike pump. The volume control switch makes it easy to adjust this bike horn to your surroundings."

============================

Or for the audiophile .... a very loud ..... aero ...... battery driven ....... speaker with buttons for various messages ..... On Your Left ....... Thanks ...... Get Out Of The Way ..... Quit Drafting ....... the French Ambulance Sound ..... Sound Of A 16 Wheeler .........

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not that I do a lot of IM branded races, but for Whistler in 2016, I used a koala shaped squeazy "bell" mounted on the aerobars.
It emitted a high pitched squealing when I used it, which was about 20 X during the event.
Initially, I used it when I was passing a person who was riding erratically.
Then, after I made it to the pointy end of the field, I did it to entertain the kids who were watching in Whistler and Pemberton.
And then, I used it to amuse and motivate myself, as I slogged up the Pemberton Climb, no longer on the pointy end of the field.
Yes, it was worth the aero penalty.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a jingle bell on my mountain bike, I forgot to use it in my last race. Probably wouldn't be of much use since in the local races I'm at the front after the swim and the only passing going on is when the top bikers pass me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Australia i think you’re legally meant to have a bell on your bike. But then every tt bike I’ve bought hasn’t come with a bell and triathlon Australia doesn’t check for a bell in pre race inspections
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
That Spurcycle looks awesome! Seemed pricey at first, but given I would use it likely forever, and it looks great, I'm seriously considering it.

I wonder if it would fit on the bullhorns of my TT bike. I'm not exactly burning up the bike course, but I'm usually passing and not often being passed on the bike, so I don't mind losing a few watts of drag from the bell to trade for a bell that gets folks out of my way.

In my original post, I thought about mentioning that it was $50, but this is slowtwitch, so figured that would not even be a consideration. ;) The mount is pretty simple so I think you could put it about anywhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since our local races take place on city streets, and the law is you must have a bell/horn on your bike, the race organizers 'strongly suggest' that you have one. Then again, it's also the law that you have lights, reflectors, etc... I don't know too many folks who race with reflectors.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Bell in Races [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
I don't see why it would be against the rules.

My 5 year old last week saw one at a bike shop and now desperately wants one. Told her she has to earn it. She needs to work on her letters and numbers for 30 minutes every night over the next 15 days. So far she has been very driven to earn this bell.

Mate you better set that "earning bar" pretty high whenever she wants a car....something like "fund my retirement by the time you are 30" or something
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put my spur cycle bell on my extensions. Makes it easy to ding ding every time you come up on some one. Or like I did when I came out of the water last give my competitors a friendly encouraging ding as they came back in, on the out and back course. Half were confused the other half smiled!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://hidemybell.cc/en/

decently aero
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Reactions and All,

When you want to be rude and say GTF Outta My Way!!

https://newatlas.com/...bicycle-siren/56549/

Sonic Grip puts a siren on cyclists' bars

Needless to say, motorists are much more likely to hear a 100-db siren than a standard bell. Brkic also suggests that his product could be used to alert pedestrians on multi-use paths, although we can't help but wonder if that would result in receiving some very startled looks – users might want to still keep a bell on their bars.

Sonic Grip is currently the subject of a Kickstarter campaign, where a pledge of AUD$25 (about US$18) will get you a set, when and if they reach production – the planned retail price is AUD$30 (US$22). A version for road bikes with drop bars is also said to be in the works.

And should you really want to be heard when cycling, check out the hefty 125-decibel Loud Bicycle Horn.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply