Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Repeating a shorter training plan a few times vs 1 long training plan
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Say for example if you have 12 weeks to train, would you get better gains by repeating a 4 week plan 3x? Or by doing 1 long 12 week plan?

Doing the same plan 3x sounds easier and less boring to me as each phase would be shorter and separate. But wondering if there are some real advantages to a longer plan.
Quote Reply
Re: Repeating a shorter training plan a few times vs 1 long training plan [bbgobie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a big believer in:

reading a shit ton of ST advice / asking for advice
reading a shit ton of online articles
reading so many they start to repeat
read more ST
applying my own personal knowledge of my physical body and mental psyche
factoring in my work schedule and family schedule
consulting my wife

and coming up with my own custom plan using all of the above knowledge.

edit: but I don't know enough to actually answer your question. I just agree that it is good to ask questions like this, then come up with your own decision that best fits you.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Last edited by: bluestacks867: Sep 5, 18 12:03
Quote Reply
Re: Repeating a shorter training plan a few times vs 1 long training plan [bbgobie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the 12 week plan will typically have 3 or 4 "recovery" weeks built in. You can think of it as three 4 week plans, but with some progression in there as you get closer to race day.

But really, it probably doesn't make that much difference.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Repeating a shorter training plan a few times vs 1 long training plan [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks both of you. Totally agree about reading as much as you can, oddly didn't find this question answered.

I figure it can't be that different, flipped a coin and decided to start a 12 week program
Quote Reply
Re: Repeating a shorter training plan a few times vs 1 long training plan [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well said
just be selective about the slowtwitch voices you pick and stick w/ those
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Either is fine

If you know you're going to get bored and less likely to follow the 12 week plan do the shorter version
If the longer plan looks like it's going to make you faster that's the answer I'd choose.

Either way a half ass plan followed religiously is probably better than a great plan not followed

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like repeating a plan during race season. Caveat I do Olympic and sprints.

It allows me to gauge improvements in fitness and to push myself harder as the season goes on.

For example, I know how many watts I pushed the last time I did the exact same workout with very similar amounts of fatigue from training the other disciplines. I use that to set my next goals for that same workout (taking fatigue and temperatures into account). We keep a paper log with comments on the workout. I’m sure there is an electronic way to do it, but super easy for me to flip through my binder and compare workouts.

The off season is where I set different goals for swim, bike or run fitness. I am more likely to do a 12 or 18 week sport specific training plan during that time.
Quote Reply