Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I´M BROKE... CAN´T AFFORD RACING... WHAT NOW [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most race series have a deal where if you volunteer at one race you can then race a later one for free.
Quote Reply
Re: I´M BROKE... CAN´T AFFORD RACING... WHAT NOW [mpo_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Join a local club and do club races? Or have them start club races. Whether individual S,B,R’s or multisport events it could be fun. Like the monthly TT.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: I´M BROKE... CAN´T AFFORD RACING... WHAT NOW [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trail running is really big here in Ecuador. Was thinking about switching to that for a while but I would hate to lose my form on the bike and swim.
In Reply To:

Love the Pain!

Quito-Ecuador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mpo_tri wrote:
Trail running is really big here in Ecuador. Was thinking about switching to that for a while but I would hate to lose my form on the bike and swim.
In Reply To:

What is stopping you?

Swimming is probably the cheapest sport on the planet.

Grow with data: Dynamic Sports Data | eBay store
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sell bodily fluids or if you're a woman, eggs -- they're worth a fortune

the - "take up golf" response should be in pink.. that's another money pit

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Re: I´M BROKE... CAN´T AFFORD RACING... WHAT NOW [Barry S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually played golf before taking up running and then triatlon. Expensive af.

Love the Pain!

Quito-Ecuador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mpo_tri wrote:
Hey guys, I´m going through some tough times and can´t afford racing at the moment. I did my last Ironman on July 29th and was wondering how to aproach my training now that I don´t have any objectives in sight. I´m feeling kind of lost. Any suggestions?

Sprints can be enjoyable and you can do 3-4 a year for the price of a single Ironman 70.3 Remember that Ironman is a brand, it is not triathlon. Support a few small local races, volunteer at a few and often you will get some price breaks. Lots of sprints to be had for less than $100 a race.

Alternatively you could ride for fun and to stay fit and focus on racing 5k, 10k races. They are even cheaper but give you something to work towards during this time.

Quote | Reply
gofundme for something. Throw in a charity for kids and bob is you uncle :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mpo_tri wrote:
Hey guys, I´m going through some tough times and can´t afford racing at the moment. I did my last Ironman on july 29th and was wondering how to aproach my training now that I don´t have any objectives in sight. I´m feeling kind of lost. Any suggestions?

OOo nooo take up ICE SKATING!

You can still wear the colorful spandex and look super goofy but somehow be really fit. I imagine it is probably just as expensive though...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run the grand canyon

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mpo_tri wrote:
Hey guys, I´m going through some tough times and can´t afford racing at the moment. I did my last Ironman on july 29th and was wondering how to aproach my training now that I don´t have any objectives in sight. I´m feeling kind of lost. Any suggestions?

Love the Pain!

Quito-Ecuador

I sure as hell wouldn't waste my money on back-ordered, poorly made shit from Love The Pain!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get paid to train: give pedi cab rides.

Or sell some of that pricey tri gear and just run. Train for an ultra or go for an FKT.

I'd also +1 the recos to volunteer for free race entry or target local Strava segments. Bangarang.
Quote Reply
Re: I´M BROKE... CAN´T AFFORD RACING... WHAT NOW [OP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
train with the racers, then volunteer at the races. its pays it forward and if you find a good RD it pays back too. I have volunteered at the local "try-it tri" several times. I get a great stoke helping the first timers. you see some awesome stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mpo_tri wrote:

No smart alec answer to you...some questions and suggestions.
1) Are you wanting to race again soon? Mental motivation needs to be there first.

2) If so, sounds like financials are the issue. You need a plan to get back on the positive side of finances then--with the exception that (and from experience of putting *too much* into one thing all at once...) you need to KEEP THE BALANCE in life. That means, whatever keeps you happy. Do not give up training. Just keep going with what you can, maintain weight as a START POINT.

3) You need a long term goal--could be that same race or another less expensive one in 6 months, year, whatever. Short term goal can be just maintain that weight while working on the financials.

4) What/how much you do for training (swim, bike, run, paddle, lift, etc.) depends on time resources requried to take care of financials and/or mental motivation. There is your start point on how to go about it.

Build accordingly, plan accordingly. It'll all come back and you'll be back in the saddle before you know it.

"Champions don't just waste time sitting there on the couch."
Rocky M
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Become an #ashlete #blessed
Last edited by: TriguyBlue: Sep 5, 18 17:01
Quote Reply
Re: I´M BROKE... CAN´T AFFORD RACING... WHAT NOW [D_PRC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've worked with a local company for the past few years, started off doing what they called "Option C" for one race for a discount, then when I came back a second time to volunteer and race I got it for free. After a few times it turned into a job offer to contract with them and legitimately work the races. Five years later and now my husband can also Option C a race. It's all about building community with the race directors.
Quote Reply
Re: I´M BROKE... CAN´T AFFORD RACING... WHAT NOW [HeartRN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
keep training - not sure why not having a race in mind is making you lose sight of your longer-term objectives...
Last edited by: triczyk: Sep 6, 18 8:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quit worrying about Triathlon and figure out how to make money.
Quote Reply
Re: I´M BROKE... CAN´T AFFORD RACING... WHAT NOW [lifejustice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lifejustice wrote:
Quit worrying about Triathlon and figure out how to make money.

^^^
THIS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mpo_tri wrote:

google "Parkrun".....free 5K run races....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

There are a lot of elite runners from places like Ethiopia and Kenya who grew up not even being able to afford a pair or shoes but they managed to stay fit. I assume you have running shoes, access to swimming and a bicycle so you pretty much have all you need and then some.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you can make some local race with some friends? i dont know how big triathlon scene is in Ecuador but if not big maybe you can swim some race with some, race some bike race and some run race too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It can be done. You don't need a sign up sheet to be an endurance sport geek. No T shirt, no medal, no problem.

Cross training. Multisport. Athlete. Don't need a race day to prove that.

I fell into your scenario with some different details, I'm sure. Now I bike for competition on low weekly hours and I run/swim/SUP in the little time left over. Bike has structure and top priority of the sports. Then, I devote what time I have available on any given day to whatever I feel like doing. That usually amounts to 1-2 runs, 1 day drills and 1 day some mod duration run, per week. I swim really short sessions that is technique focus, prob 2x week. And, I really fell in love with stand up paddling this year and got in about 2 sessions per week. Throw in the occasional lift session to top it off.

Real happy with the break. I plan to go back but no rush in my case. I really dig the variety right now and I could drop into any sprint/oly race or a 70.3/IM build at any time.

This approach has really helped with my balance with fam & job life so much.

The idea of not racing doesn't decide your path. You have to figure out why this stuff makes you smile and have fun.

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Possible help. VOLUNTEER X NUMBER OF TIMES AND EARN A RACE ENTRY. Not free, earned. Not a % discount. A race entry. CONTACT RACE ORGANIZIERS/COMPANIES - work on getting this to happen. It's about time to have this option. What do you think?
Last edited by: coyote pelon: Sep 8, 18 15:22
Quote Reply

Prev Next