Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gearing for IM Kona based on IM Canada...
Quote | Reply
Lot's of mixed opinions out there on the forum about gearing for IM Kona, so I thought I'd throw this out there. I am debating on purchasing 55/42 chainrings to go with a 11-23 cassette or run with what I currently own - 53/39 chainrings with the 11-23 cassette. For context, I rode a 5:17:xx this year at IM Canada with the 53/39 and a 12-28 cassette.

Any thoughts / advice for what I should run for Kona? Will the 55/42 give me so much more than the 53/39 that the $100 or so is worth it?

Thanks!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing for IM Kona based on IM Canada... [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is my perspective based on riding both courses and spending plenty of time on the Big Island. I would stick with the gearing you used at IM Canada. Based on your bike split at IMC, there does not seem to be any compelling reason to go with bigger chain rings while also limiting your cassette to an 11-23.

The only place where you 'may' be able to benefit from a 55 tooth is on the first few miles back from Hawi and the possible gain there is not worth what you are giving up over the remainder of the course.

With your proposed Kona gearing, you will be burning matches within the first few miles of the ride grinding up Kuakini and Palani when you should be spinning. If the wind is blowing, you will definitely want more gear options over numerous parts of the course. In particular, the final stretch up to Hawi can be particularly challenging as well as the climb back from Kawaihae to the Queen K.

You may be get away with an 11-25 but that removes your bailout gear and, with 11 speeds, it is a small sacrifice to keep options open. The advantage of having gear options that allow you to spin and having a bail-out gear if the wind is really blowing will far outweigh any potential gains from gearing which many of the top pros would not use.

If you need further confirmation, get to Hawaii early and ride Kawaihae to Hawi midday when the wind is blowing. Now imagine doing that on race day along with riding the remainder of the course then having the legs to actually run the marathon. Don't jeopardize your entire race by gambling on overly-ambitious gearing for marginal gains under ideal conditions.

Cheers, Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have ridden Kona each time with a 54/41 (Rotor QXL) and 11-26. The first few climbs out of town although short and Pilani onto Queen K I used my smallest gear and into the headwind climbing Hawi there have been times I have used the smallest gear for sections as well. I have a friend super strong cyclist that never took it off the big ring being close to fastest AG bike split but I personally would never will not have a gear that low when racing there. Some years racing or even training days you are spinning out no matter what size front ring you run but that can change by the day and I wouldn't obsess about an extra tooth. I'm probably a heavier athlete around 80kg riding around the 5 hour mark at Kona going under and over depending on the winds for that year if that's any help.
Last edited by: Shambolic: Sep 6, 18 5:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you're in the top-15 men coming back from Hawi there's no reason to have a 55 on there (well, maybe you're using it as an ergogenic aid?).

I've ridden 4:4x in kona and that was on far lower watts than what I could ride later in my career. Mostly 53/39.

The terrain alone on the Kona course is rather benign. Only when you include wind does it start to make the gearing set up a bit of a mental challenge.

A super strong headwind into Hawi *might* require a 39-26. In aero no less :-P

Side note: have ridden in HEINOUS winds out there in January. Went 22 miles in 2 hours it was so bad. I can't imagine what would happen if those hit during October.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing for IM Kona based on IM Canada... [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input all!

MarkyV - what cassette did you run when you used the 53/39?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
11-25

Given your speeds I'd advise at least a 39/28 for your lowest gearing. This is "just in case" the head wind into Hawi is bad.

The other thing to consider is "don't be an idiot on palani". Plenty of people can blow a lot of stupid matches going up that. Save your legs and go up it as easy as you can. There will be SOOOOOOOOO much excitement for you not to behave yourself and to give in to the crowd. DONT. Chill out and know that it's a long ass day and not a hill climb competition.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing for IM Kona based on IM Canada... [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

Yes, I have been hearing a lot of folks blow through matches on Palani and headed to Hawi.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
case in point. friends with CP in the 370-400 range will climb it at about 430. And that's in the pro field. No need for anyone in the age group field to push above 95% going up it. Patience! :)

Quote Reply