Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cancun or Playa del Carmen triathlon friendly resorts?
Quote | Reply
Any suggestions? Looking for spinners and a safe place to run. A lap lane would be great but figure most have pools I can navigate.
Quote Reply
Re: Cancun or Playa del Carmen triathlon friendly resorts? [wjoiner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Hard Rock is actually pretty good. It has a separate lap pool (looked a little short but not bad), a good gym and in addition to the resort pools, has a big oceanfront lagoon pool that is pretty good for swimming. We’re going to Secrets Akumal later this month and I have read they actually have guided, semi-real bike rides (last for an hour at a decent clip on trails.). We’ll see! We stayed at the Moon Palace years ago and that place is big enough I feel like you could bike around the golf paths there ( and I think they had hybrids to borrow). Moon Palace isn’t really Playa del Carmen though. Good luck and have a good time!
Quote Reply
Re: Cancun or Playa del Carmen triathlon friendly resorts? [wjoiner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Suitehotel Fariones Playa in Puerto del Carmen.

They have access to a gym/sport facility with treadmills, spinners and an 18m lap pool.

We stayed there in 2017 for IM Lanzarote. Rooms with sea view are like 100m away from the Swim start.

Edit: my bad, you’re talking about Mexico. Sorry, early over here in europe :-)
Last edited by: stevededoncker: Sep 4, 18 23:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stayed at the Live Aqua Beach Resort in Cancun this past April. Their main pool is probably close to a couple of hundred feet long so you could swim long laps in there if you get to it early in the morning when nobody is using it.

There was a gym that had some exercise bikes but I don't recall what they were.

As for running, as long as you stay in the Zona Hotelera district you're probably fine. There was a pretty big police and Federales presence in the Zona Hotelera. I think the Zona is like 8 miles long so you can get a lot of miles within the relatively safe (safer) confines of it.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've stayed at Barcelo Maya a couple of times in the last 15 years. It's now one massive complex comprising what used to be 4 smaller resorts.

It has a lap pool which is always empty in my experience (pic stolen from Tripadvisor).

Decent outdoor running as the resort itself is huge so you don't need to go off resort (at the beach it's about 2 km wide but at the roadway it's maybe 3.5?). The gym is a little small with maybe half a dozen treadmills, and a similar number of spin bikes etc. The treadmills were busy, but nothing else was. The only downside is that the ellipticals and spin bikes face into the middle of the gym which always had a yoga class going on. It was a downside since a) there were some guys in there that were going with their wives and had no idea what they were doing which was cringe-worthy and b) it means you spend the time trying not to look pervy.

I've looked at going back again.

I'm also impressed you have this many responses without anyone suggesting Cozumel instead!
Quote Reply