Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: If you hated political threads before.... [BillT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a Libertarian, somewhat of a dreamer, but more than anything else I am a realist. We are never going to return to a government that reflects the model presented in the constitution. I wonder how many folks even could describe the model presented in the constitution?

Seriously, we have already given our government (and they've taken power without us caring) enough power that everyone knows it won't decrease. The government knows this too. It will gradually grow until we basically "do as they say" (if we're not already there) or be punished. We'll always have elections, but they'll be of a more narrow nature: Candidate 1: I want to raise your taxes 20% and increase funding for health care, so that all of our citizens are cared for. Candidate 2: I want to raise your taxes 20% and increase funding for defense so that we can provide you security. Some democracy. Some choice. More often than not we end up selecting "whomever we view at the least dishonest".

Anyway, I have spoken my heart in these posts. I feel a tremendous amount of pride in what our forefathers tried to set up. But, the feeling of helplessness and despair is just as great. Where we have gone will not (and likely can not) be undone. We were are heading will not (and likely cannot) be changed or reversed. It is a one-way street. It really saddens me that liberty will be all but vanished under the umbrella of "for the greater good" and "in favor of security". I'll think we'll find that it won't be good nor secure. Sure "we have more liberty than other countries", yeah ... many countries have "nect to none". It's not hard to have more than that.

I really 100% buy into what the founding fathers wrote. I 100% believe that liberty (i.e. uiltimate choices) are a gift from God the creator (I am actually surprised at how often the founding fathers said that). I think they are rights that cannot be taken away ... but are. More each day.

I would willingly give my life to protect and ensure freedom and liberty ... but, I don't know who to fight. The government? My neighbors? (I'm not talking terrorist activity here or anything, don't misread me) How do I get the government to stop gaining more and more power? How do I get voters to stop giving away more and more rights? How do I get the govenrment to follow its own documents when they don't (or refuse) want to? How do I convince a government that enjoys increasing to power to relinquish much of that power in the name of liberty?

I do not fear for the immediate future .... but by the time my son is 30 (27 years from now) what behaviors, products, etc will be illegal? What free choice will remain? How much tax will the government take for the "greater good"? 50%? 75%?

I have love for my country, passion for this cause, and pride in liberty. But, honestly, I don't know what to do.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: If you hated political threads before.... [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You said:

"Basically, this seems to come down to 2 opinions on the average citizen ...

1. The average citizen has an adult mind and will more times than not make responsible decisions and will choose to help its fellow man, and the country will prosper because of this.

2. The average citizen does not have an adult mind and will do whatever it wants and pleases, and not help its fellow man unless it is made to, and the country will suffer without a providing government.

I think that individuals in this country are split between these two personas - but that's only part of the story. The real problem is that corporate America wants to be thought of as good citizens (#1), but are mostly #2 citizens - i.e. corporations folllow their profit motive without fail - and if the environment is damaged or people hurt on the way, then that's too bad for them! The vast majority of Americans are happy that we have environmental protection, food and drug regulations, and other standards to counteract corporate selfishness. I understand that libertarians don't agree - and that's while they'll remain a very small minority interest in this country.
Quote Reply
Re: If you hated political threads before.... [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, my "State of the Union" post seems to have died, but after watching last night I'm seriously starting to think we need a new major political party. One less concerned with "major issues" and and with a little more concern for the actual state of the country. It'll never happen, but talking about it makes me feel smart and important.
Quote Reply
A goverment of the Tibbs by the TIbbs for the Tibbs [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make me your leader! Give me your freedoms and money and stand back and watch in amazement! With a little hooo-dangy here and wham o comb over there and a whole lot of elbow grease your freedom and money become...

WHAM! That pony you always wanted.

SCLACKLIZEKAZOOY! That hot man/woman in your Friday spin class.

FLASH! Health insurance that is more expensive than if every one took care of themselves and paid out of pocket.

BOOM! Your freedom of speech made safe. Who needs all those things that might offend people? Why should you be allowed to be part of political discourse? The president, ACLU, democrats and republicans have already sent us down that road so why stop there. Give it to me and all speech will be PC!

FLIPOHWANGHIZZLE!- All tri gear will be the same for everyone. No unfair advantages. Equal playing field!

So come on teen gang let good ole' Mr. Tibbs do the thinking for you. You already let the press do it.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply

Prev Next