Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Derailleur cage interchangability??
Quote | Reply
I've got a 6770 RD laying around with a bent derailleur cage. I'm having trouble finding a replacement cage for this specific model, but I see a bunch for newer Shimano road derailleurs. I'm looking to switch from the SS cage to a GS cage so I can use a larger cassette.

How interchangeable are derailleur cages between models? Can I use a GS cage for say an 6800 derailleur without issue, or is the geometry of the cage different enough that it would cause problems?

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Derailleur cage interchangability?? [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't say that it would work but why aren't you looking for mechanical 6700 derailleurs to swap out the cage instead? They shouldn't be that hard to find and I believe you can swap out a GS version and it'll still be functional. You just gotta lengthen your chain even if you don't change cassettes or charinrins to ensure proper shifting.
Last edited by: loxx0050: Sep 3, 18 10:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Generally speaking, 105/Tiagra cages mount differently than Ultegra/Dura Ace cages.

If you look at third party jockey/cages (like this), you can see in the description that they will fit with any 10/11 speed ultegra/dura ace rear derailleur.
Quote Reply
Re: Derailleur cage interchangability?? [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok that pretty much answers my questions. It looks like there is a good amount of interchangeability within the top and bottom tiers of Shimano derailleurs. Thanks!

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Derailleur cage interchangability?? [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been looking for whole derailleurs 6700 GS derailleurs, but they are pretty scarce as well and also pretty much the same cost as a buying a replacement 6770 derailleur.

Thanks for the reminder about the chain though! I had completely forgotten about that.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply