Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PRP injections
Quote | Reply
Hi - Does anyone have experience with PRP injections as a treatment for injuries. I'm considering trying it to help with knee inflammation due to a small meniscus tear. I haven't been able to find too much definitive information about it's efficacy. Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm 54. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: PRP injections [PeteDominick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeteDominick wrote:
Hi - Does anyone have experience with PRP injections as a treatment for injuries. I'm considering trying it to help with knee inflammation due to a small meniscus tear. I haven't been able to find too much definitive information about it's efficacy. Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm 54. Thanks.

The peer reviewed research is mixed on how well it works.

I had one done for my Achilles with no success, but to be fair - I ended up having to have surgery.
Quote Reply
Re: PRP injections [ilsapproach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing your experience with it. Yes, the research findings seem to be quite mixed. I hope your achilles is doing better
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had it done on my pt in my foot. I don’t think it helped. I had only one round done tho. It was getting better so I didn’t get any more rounds of treatment. 3 months of no running is pissing me off. It could still be another month before it gets better if at all. By now I gave up on my season with one race left.

Also forgot to add the prp treatment was the worst pain I have ever had. It lasted around 32 hours of hell
Last edited by: danstu4: Sep 3, 18 12:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It worked really well for the two achilles issues I had, but it did nothing for my meniscus.
Quote Reply
Re: PRP injections [JT_Dennen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, literature very mixed, but meniscus is one of the sites still with positive outcomes. My good friend had it done 6 wks ago and doing much better. OTOH, hip labrum not so much. Lat epicondylitis was formerly favored but the trend is more unfavorable now. Personally i would try it and i had a successful meniscus surgery long ago. Less invasive, essentially no downside except $
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had two PRP injections, 6 weeks apart, for a torn tendon that refused to heal. Prior to the injections, I was in extreme pain anytime I would stand or walk for more than 10 minutes. Now, three months later, it seems to be 95% healed. Only occasional, dull pain. I'm a believer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Worked great for an inflammed knee.
Nothing torn, nothing serious. Just the inflammation wouldn't go away. Prp solved my woes

Hope this helps
Quote Reply
Re: PRP injections [ejd_mil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s amazing. Not sure on how it will treat your Mencius. Depends where the tear is. If it’s on the outside where there is good blood supply then maybe. I have sent my athletes to get PRP a few times. Mostly hamstrings and rotator cuff and it worked like magic. A few said the pain wasn’t bad at all and the other said it hurt a lot haha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the procedure in response to a bad plantar fascia and shared some thoughts here:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...scott%20prp#p6625586

The only thing I can say for sure is that the trauma of the procedure forces a commitment to recovery. I was on crutches for a week and in a boot for two. Then 12 weeks of rehab, followed by lots of time on a gravity assisted treadmill.

It’s no silver bullet, but may accelerate recovery over the long haul.

Happy to answer any questions.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pete- I had two PRP injections for my meniscus a few years back. Had the second round done around a month after first round. For me it worked liked a charm. I avoided surgery and am able to run the volume I want to. Well worth it for me, but it does seem to be hit or miss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had it done on my Achilles a couple years ago after exhausting many other options. Hurt like hell. But it worked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had one set of injections done for a hamstring issue. 3 months of NOTHING afterwards. Followed all recommendations and really have had good results. Hamstring is bothering me today but I have been really bad about getting all my stretching in. Life helped me forget to stretch after yesterday's race, so now I am paying for it. Would I do it again if the same issue flared up? You bet. Would I recommend it? Definitely! (With a doc that knows what they are doing)..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got stem cell and prp and six week prp for degenerative tears (potholes not huge tear) and bad OA in knee. Avoided running for nearly year to let it heal along with lower carb diet to reduce inflammation. I am running pretty good pace at over 70, but keep mileage much lower. Knee feels fine but occasional tracking issue due to biking and sometimes lax muscle balance drills. Before stem cell I coul barely bend knee without pain, now it is fine. Got it done at Emory healthcare in ATL. Think they have some videos on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the definitive paper that also links out to most of the research. You should read the research yourself to decide: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC5632954/

I think the fundamental question you have to ask yourself when reading the responses of people above is: would they have gotten better without PRP simply by taking time off and doing a crapload of PT?

I’m in the anti PRP camp. I considered for petellar tendonopathy but after reading the research just took some time off and REALLY committed myself to PT instead. I’ve been going strong ever since.

The good news is, it most likely won’t hurt you. It just might not be better than nothing. So you have nothing to lose but some money and time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and perspectives. It's helped me get a more complete picture of the pros and cons of PRP. I appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Re: PRP injections [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
I think the fundamental question you have to ask yourself when reading the responses of people above is: would they have gotten better without PRP simply by taking time off and doing a crapload of PT?

I posted above of my PRP success. Before PRP, I did almost zero athletic activity and did a lot of PT over several months. I made no progress. My injury was not healing at all, and the PRP seems to have stimulated it (finally) to heal. This is my n=1 experience only; I recognize that the jury is still out.
Quote Reply