Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: September Swim Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SO missed most of the past week, went up to my college swim team reunion, 1960's to 1990's. It was the first time everyone got together and they inducted the 73/74/7576 teams into the hall of fame for winning the national champs..

I did one swim there in a 24.7 yard pool, don't ask. (well if you do I will explain)

Drove 10 hours straight yesterday and got up and swam at the high desert house, must have been tapered;

7x100 various swims and kicks, 1;19/20's..
5x200p@2;40 (2;26/25/24/24/20). best set in ages
50 fly from deck in 30.01
400 various swim downs
2150 SCY

Big OW race this weekend, trying to get my mile pace wired in..
Quote Reply
Re: September Swim Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
SO missed most of the past week, went up to my college swim team reunion, 1960's to 1990's. It was the first time everyone got together and they inducted the 73/74/7576 teams into the hall of fame for winning the national champs..

I did one swim there in a 24.7 yard pool, don't ask. (well if you do I will explain)

Drove 10 hours straight yesterday and got up and swam at the high desert house, must have been tapered;

7x100 various swims and kicks, 1;19/20's..
5x200p@2;40 (2;26/25/24/24/20). best set in ages
50 fly from deck in 30.01
400 various swim downs
2150 SCY

Big OW race this weekend, trying to get my mile pace wired in..

Wow, that is a big deal doing a 30 second 50 fly! Well done!!!!

I had a fun workout in my quest to build mileage while doing some IM training. Each bullet below is continuos swimming, with 5-10 second rest between each

• 800m, warmup build mainly free with random back stroke and hard dolphin kicking off the wall....6 kicks to around 10m point
  • 100IM-100 free
  • 50 fly-150 free
  • 200 IM-200 free
  • 200 IM-200 free
  • 50 fly-200IM-150 free
  • 50 fly-200IM-150 free
  • 400IM-100 free
  • 400IM-100 free
  • 200 fly-200 free

4100m total

No split times....took some legs hard, most moderate, the only easy was 25m free after each "IM" leg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Medium hard today, man goal is not to get sick, broken down, or tired before Sundays races;

10X100swim@1;40(1;26 to 1;20)
5x100IM kick@2;00(1;54 to 1;50)
1000pull(12;40---6;25/6;15)
2500SCY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
300 w/u
pull pyramid on 1:30 / 100
100/150/200/250 (coming in on 1:15 / 100)
250/200/150/100 (coming in on 1:15 / 100)
1700 SCY
Quote Reply
Re: September Swim Thread [triczyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
please explain the 24.7 yds. Maine has a 40m pool; supposed to be 50m but they ran out of $ (so goes the story)

5 mi run 46:14
1025 yd swim (600 swim + 50 kick + 100 swim + 25 kick + 225 swim + 25 kick)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: September Swim Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
please explain the 24.7 yds.//

They cancelled the swim team in Chico in the early 90's(title 9 casualty), so they filled in the pool with sand and it has been dormant all these years. But there is of course a need for a pool because of AG swimming and perhaps one day getting the team back. So they built a super gym on campus, private I believe, a sort of rec center. It is beautiful and like the best LA Fitness or 24 hour fitness gym you could imagine.

But some asshole in the beginning who had power over design, figured it they made the pool just a foot short that then they would never have to host meets, or even be tagged for swim teams. For whatever reason he wanted that pool to just be used for gym members, and the was it. It has all the lane lines, targets, and things you need in a nice competition pool, just a foot short so that no times could be recognized in a real meet..Wish I could have found that guy and told him a few of my thoughts...)-;
Last edited by: monty: Sep 26, 18 8:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good story.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. That's brilliantly shortsighted of them. There's income from pool rentals, right?
But, usually those kind of pools don't have proper wave-quenching gutters. They have the lanes and targets, but just those little scavenger filter things - a couple on each wall. If that's the case, it would probably never be used for a real swim meet, making this guy's intention even lamer. Oh, and beside the fact those pools are usually way too warm for serious swimming.

2400 yards or so in the ocean this AM. Water temp is below 65, but still not wearing a wetsuit. The drop didn't hit me for an hour, when my fingertips went numb and I had to put on my hoodie.

A friend of mine attempted Catalina Channel yesterday. He's slow, but pretty tough. At 13 hours or so, he made 17 miles. He called it there with difficulty breathing. So close, but fantastic for him as a cancer survivor and all. 62 years old.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s an outdoor 9 lane pool with overflow gutters, a perfect competition venue
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
It’s an outdoor 9 lane pool with overflow gutters, a perfect competition venue
Damn! What a nice pool... almost :-/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6.5 mi easy run, 350 yd swim. That's the time I had.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
6.5 mi easy run, 350 yd swim. That's the time I had.
Too busy playing Doctor? :-)
Just another ocean swim for me. Still not succumbed to the wetsuit in spite of 64° water.
Sunday is my last scheduled event – The La Jolla 10 Mile Relay. Usually consists of 5 team members switching off at each mile (2 miles each). However, my team is just Heidi and myself. Right now it appears the water there is a comfy 70°. Afterwards, off to Dukes for lunch and Mai Tais.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL

4.5 mi very easy, 925 yd swim (900 swim + 25 kick)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll see you there tomorrow Steve, will be interesting what this hurricane off the southern coast is going to bring to us. Could be a 10 degree drop in temp overnight with some swell, or a nothing burger until Monday when they have all the high surf advisories. My team went from a 250+ team to a scratch team in the open division now. So I dont have to bring my wetsuit just in case anymore, which I'm quite happy with. I told mike that as long as it is over 51 degrees I will be fine in jammers..

That is the problem when you have to organize 5 people, something is always going to happen and people bail. Luckily we had some 16 year old speedster to fill in, but even my advanced age will not bring him up to 50+.

Did a sort of taper workout yesterday;

2x(2x100s@1;45/100IM kick@2;10/50 hard into 50 recover) (1;22/21/1;55/34/42)set 2(1;22/2/1;55/33/42)
500 easy pull(6;38) 108 HR
200 flutter(4;04)
1700SCY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another easy taper swim today;

4x100s@1;50(1;25 to 1;20)
4x100IM kick@2;00(1;56 to 1;51)
500p(6;27) 110 HR
200flutter kick(1;51)
100buoy(1;20)
1600SCY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1.5 miles at Oak Street, Laguna Beach this AM while Heidi knocked out a 10 mile run. We’re refueling at Pizza Port, Carlsbad while making our way down to LaJolla. Spending the night there within walking distance of the Cove. See you there!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yesterday 10 mi run (4.1 mi @ 9:04), 4 mi errand bike

today 7 mi run (1.5 mi @ 9:05, 1.5 mi @ 8:57, 2.5 mi @ 8:49), 1025 yd swim

500 w/u
2 x [50 kick + 100 moderate] 1:20, 1:16
50 kick
150 swim (started on another of the above but foot cramped)
25 kick

month: 14,625 yds. I only update my USMS FLOG at the end of each month, and I crossed into 100 miles this month with 102.95 mi YTD.

Quote Reply
Re: September Swim Thread [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
I'm going to try to bump it up this week. I've been trying to stay above the 50 mile threshold/month, since "just" 50 miles/month would get me to 600 miles on the year. Anything over that gets me closer to 620 miles or 1000k (1,000,000 meters!). September has been the aberration, with that little foray into USRPT training. I'm at 32 miles with a few days to go, so, while I may not get to 50, my average has been way above 50, so I can still be on-track for 1000k.

I'd have to go about 81 miles in each of October-December to get to 1200km.

Sep over and I checked the log. Currently at 871.5K for the year, with 328.5K to go with 92 days left in the year. I need 3.6K per day for the rest of the year to average 100K per month. I think I need to add a 6-7K day once per week that is endurance focused so that I can do a few days per week in the 2-2.5K range that are super high intensity....if not I will not be able to do enough higher intensity to improve my fly and IM times. Or add a double once per week which may be the better option, the problem with that is pool drive overhead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
La Jolla 10Mile Relay day! Heidi & I knocked it out in 3:40. My watch showed not quite a mile. My yards, times & pace:
1 1559 :20 1:18
2 1526 :20 1:22
3 1559 :21 1:24
4 1531 :21 1:25
5 1565 :22 1:24

Met up with Monty there, too.
My arms are tired. Now at Dukes forrecovery Mai Tai and a big Hawaiian style lunch (ribs & chicken)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Monty, if I want to get my 200 fly down below 3:20, how fast do you think I need to do my 50 repeats (on 60 min departure time). I think if I can get them down consistently in the 46-47 range that should be enough to hold 50 seconds for four continuously? Also if I get my 25 fly down to 17-18 second range from wall push, what do you think I can hold for 100m?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow! congrats!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve was the Ironman out there, as well as his girlfriend who did the same set of 5x 1 miles he did. And what a great fun time it was today, and apparently the first year the race filled at 120 teams and closed out. I heard of at least 10 more teams that wanted to race but missed the first time ever closing, so looks like this is going to be one of those nearly year in advance races you will have to sign up for, along with most ironman..

My team was set to be a 50+team, we had an average age of around 53 or so(me the oldest at 62), but one 46 year old guy bailed and we had to replace him with a 16 year old water polo player, and swim in the scratch mens division!! Our 45 year old hung with the high school swim stud on the first leg and I was quite surprised, until coach said he went a 16;20 in his age group for 1650. Polo kid did great, about a minute slower than the AG stud, and the 50 somethings both went 19 mid/ highs. I anchored with a 21;20, kind of pissed about my course selection, probably swam 1600. But got around a 1;20 or so pace, so that is around what I was looking for, dream pace would have been 1;17..

It really hurts when you don't race at all, I can see why Steve is doing so well, he races nearly every weekend, and everyday in an ocean workout. Beware Steve, I'm taking notice.(-

Oh ya, we won the overall male scratch(jammers/speedos), 2nd overall to the high school swim studs, and just touched out 3rd overall by 3 seconds, so I guess every second does count when you are swimming all alone and thinking, no one is watching, maybe I'll slow down a bit....I got a $20 gift cert to Dukes, so guess that means I'm pro again...
Quote Reply

Prev Next