Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

critique my fit and aero setup
Quote | Reply
Please give some advice on the fit and overall aero setup.

<old video is gone, because my youtube account got blocked somehow> I'm switching between easy and hard spinning during the video.

That's practically how I want to ride this year IM. Just add bottles and replace training back wheel with HED Jet 6+ with aerojacket.

Thank you!
Last edited by: ask77nl: Nov 11, 20 7:00
Quote Reply
Re: critique my fit and aero setup [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Move forward.
Elbows should be on the arm rest pads, and shifters in the palm of your hand. (this will give you greater control) It looks to me that you are reaching forward every time you want to shift and holding the aero bars too far back. By holding the aerobars further at the ends this will force you to sit further forward. you are sitting on the back of your saddle. (my guess is you are doing this naturally for comfort.
You want to evenly distribute your weight on the handlebars, pedals, and saddle..
Most bike fitters will fit you at the tip of your saddle, and most riders find this uncomfortable.. Your body will naturally fall to a further position on the saddle ruining the fit, it takes some effort to move the body forward.

Additionally I can't tell if you need to raise your saddle height.... Improve your forward/backward position and then you might consider raising it.

Grow with data: Dynamic Sports Data | eBay store
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking that you might want to raise the saddle too.
Quote Reply
Re: critique my fit and aero setup [D_PRC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, I'll try to move forward. I didn't even realize this is an issue.
Quote Reply
Re: critique my fit and aero setup [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I'm thinking that you might want to raise the saddle too.

Yeah legs look a little cramped to me. That's still quite a bend in the knee with the peddle at 6.
Quote Reply
Re: critique my fit and aero setup [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i don't think he needs to raise the saddle unless moving forward on it or another. as position, looking around 26s mark with left foot at tdc(opposite side has to be at bdc)) in relation to where he is seated. just not shrugging or doing anything to lower the unaero head
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My two cents-You’re sitting on that saddle wrong and it’s a cascade of problems from there. Your pelvis should rotate much further forward and sitting closer to the front as others have said. PRC is correct about arms and aero bars. You’ll eventually be able to get more streamlined, and it’s not a terrible position, but it’s not there yet.
I don’t know if saddle is high; looks ok to me. At least you’re not pinched, overreaching, or rocking. That might change if you fix how you sit on the saddle.

FWIW, Your equipment will hold you back. The helmet probably isn’t good. The Tri kit is definitely behind the modern suits. Bottle cage on down tube probably quite bad. What tires and tubes?
Older frame probably ok if it supports a good position. HED wheels good.
Hope some of that helps! -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: critique my fit and aero setup [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karlaj wrote:
My two cents-You’re sitting on that saddle wrong and it’s a cascade of problems from there. Your pelvis should rotate much further forward and sitting closer to the front as others have said. ...

FWIW, Your equipment will hold you back. The helmet probably isn’t good. The Tri kit is definitely behind the modern suits. Bottle cage on down tube probably quite bad. What tires and tubes?
Older frame probably ok if it supports a good position. HED wheels good.
Hope some of that helps! -J

Well said, very much what I was trying to say in so many words.

also..
His equipment isn't thaaat bad.... haha

Grow with data: Dynamic Sports Data | eBay store
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumping my old thread.
A couple of years ago I got some valuable advice on changing my position on the bike. This year I went to PT and improved some of the back mobility issues that lead to a bunch of problems in running and biking.

Here is a new video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsdXFsnsqEM Going relatively hard, ~ 70.3 pace

I noticed my spine is not that round anymore, do you guys think there is room to lower armpads to bring down head a bit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you do not look comfortable on the bike...at all. It looks like you're bracing yourself on it vs. sinking into it and your heel is dipping significantly at 6oclock every pedalstroke. It's hard to tell, but I'm thinking you have your saddle slammed all the way back to try and give yourself more room

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your saddle is high. Drop the saddle about 1 cm, move the saddle forward about 1 cm, drop the cockpit 1 cm, and move the arm pads and extensions forward about 2 cm.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: critique my fit and aero setup [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you I'll try to move it forward. Although I don't think I have spacers to drop the aerobars lower.

Just a general question, sorry may be a stupid one.
This position was recommended by a good fitter and later confirmed as optimal. I don't quite get what's preventing my body to go more aero? It looks like almost all other triathletes can move head and shoulders significantly lower and reduce overall profile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not your body, it's your equipment and setup that are preventing you from getting more aero. You need to lower saddle height and add more reach before you change anything else. The added reach will effectively lower your back angle and allow you to bring your head down. Then you're going to angle your pads and extensions up which will lower your back angle and head even further, and yet increase your comfort. This, though, will require even more reach so you're going to need a longer stem.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ask77nl wrote:
Thank you I'll try to move it forward. Although I don't think I have spacers to drop the aerobars lower.

You can use an angled stem to lower your cockpit.

Quote Reply
Re: critique my fit and aero setup [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply