Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How do you choose YOUR race distance? [mdsfx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Done 4 IMs. After year of focus for each one, I crossed finish line disappointed and feeling terrible about myself after slogging through 2nd half of marathon. During each one I had to throw up during the run, which is just a terrible feeling. Trying to figure out what went wrong and the training is fun. Following what the pros do at Kona is fun. But they can train full time and are elite athletes. I'm not. 1/2 IMs are kind of hit or miss. Fun to train for. Nice big races in nice locations so that is cool. Takes a lot of training though - really same training as IM if you want to do well. This amount of training affects work life and social life, so also really just not worth it.

Olympic distance is the sweet spot I have found after 20-years of tri. Regardless of what my fitness level was at time, I was able to push myself for whole race. Accordingly, felt good about my effort after the race, unlike IM. Just when you get sick of each sport during the race, you find yourself in transition about to switch to another race. Perfect distance. Always fun. Can train a lot still or not so much if work or other obligations get in way and you are still fine.

Sprints and unusual distance races (Laguna Phuket and Alcatraz) are also super fun.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you choose YOUR race distance? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I think that each has it's own challenges if you want to do it well. They're all hard. They're all fun. Except for the Olympic distance. That's the devil.

Lol, I'm not even going to ask. Doing it anyway!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my first year of Triathlon I did five pool sprints, got faster. My second year got cut short, I did two Olympics...I will go a year between Olympics and to be honest. I'm not really into traveling for an Olympic race, was going to for NYC Tri before breaking my clavicle. So I planned out my 2019 race schedule and will be building a training schedule that builds me up to completing and competing in HIMs. I'm planning on signing up for three: Traverse City, Arizona, and La Quinta. I'm also doing three Olympics that are local, so I'll feel good about it all.

After Cactus Man I felt like I wanted to do something harder, it's of course harder getting faster but I wanted something more. So in addition to going longer I'm going to be truly serious about my training.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you choose YOUR race distance? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
... Except for the Olympic distance. That's the devil.

See, Olympic is probably my favorite, short enough that you go hard, but long enough that you have to consider pacing strategies a bit. Also, it's long enough that I'm ok getting up and driving 1-2 hours to get to a race.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you choose YOUR race distance? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oly here--it's the right amount of pacing vs speed vs recovery vs time suck for me.

Has Dan posted a poll recently about what is everyone's preferred* distance is?

*sure, everyone wants to be an Ironman at Kona...but in reality....
Quote Reply
Re: How do you choose YOUR race distance? [Per] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Per wrote:
Oly here--it's the right amount of pacing vs speed vs recovery vs time suck for me.

Has Dan posted a poll recently about what is everyone's preferred* distance is?

*sure, everyone wants to be an Ironman at Kona...but in reality....

Don't believe so.

This is a great topic. Bumpy bump for the afternoon crowds.

Favorite disance in Triathlon

Grow with data: Dynamic Sports Data | eBay store
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the progression from sprint to IM just for the personal challenge. I got fit, was able to find the time to train and enjoyed it. The enjoyment was helped by the fact that I had a good group of friends to train and race with. I agree there's nothing wrong with racing sprints, but I gravitate to the longer stuff. For one, I seem better at them, more endurance than speed I guess. Also, I was never a fan of getting up at 4am for a race that would last about an hour.

I definitely enjoy 70.3 more than 140.6, but have still signed up for one 140.6 a year while family (only one son, now 12), health and job are cooperating with the training. I'm 47 now and honestly don't know how much longer that will continue. I can see myself just racing 70.3s, I really like that distance.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you choose YOUR race distance? [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
Also, I was never a fan of getting up at 4am for a race that would last about an hour.

I'd just like to say that one of the reasons that I simply adore sprints is that I can wake up at 4 for a 7AM race, and by 10AM I'll most likely be like this:

Yeah, sleeping is my fourth triathlon discipline.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha my first two triathlons were 70.3 before my first IM the same year. Now done 9 IM's, must be close to 30 half IM distance races, maybe 6 olympic and two sprints. Sprints suck IMHO. I'm not married and no kids by the way...
Quote Reply
Re: How do you choose YOUR race distance? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have always preferred the Ironman and 70.3 races. Not sure if I like the longer distances because I am better at them, or if I am better at them because I have primarily focused on them. Probably a mix.

Long rides and runs can be grueling, but also meditative. I've never been good at sitting in one place and meditating, but if I am out for a long ride or run, I can just focus on the rhythm of what I'm doing, and clear my mind of everything else, and come back feeling refreshed.

That said, I think it is good to switch up distances once in a while. If I feel that I am on a plateau with one distance, or burned out with it, then it can be refreshing to focus on another distance for a while and come back.

Have done 5 IMs over the last three years; focusing on 70.3s this year. Also not married and no kids... seems like a good recipe for finding training time!

Cheers,
Ginger

https://www.instagram.com/gingerhowellracing/
If you find yourself thinking "What if I can't", instead think "What if I can!"
Quote Reply
Re: How do you choose YOUR race distance? [gingersnaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have gone up to HIM distance

But like the lung bursting sprints the best
Can still finish well without a ton of training time

Can also keep more muscle so not to look like a starvation victim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Combination of available training time and aptitude. Enjoyment is also a factor, but since I generally enjoy races more when I'm better at them, then that's already factored in!

I'm a strong cyclist, OK runner, weak swimmer. Also have good endurance as I've been training pretty much continuously for one sorry or another for 25+ years. So I prefer races which are weighted to suit me, which on standard distances means IM or 70.3. I don't have the time or appetite to train properly for IM, so preferred racing distance is 70.3. I also do non standard distances (have a 1500m swim, 80km bike, 10km run event coming up which is perfect for me!). If I'm doing Olympic events then I look for a hilly bike course to give myself a chance. Don't really do sprints.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It kinda worked for Julie Miller and Anita Carcone.

On a serious note, I like many replies here. No need to step up to longer distances.
Do what makes you happy and you have time to train for.
I think my limit is 70.3. Unless I fix knees...can't survive the run, and if I could, I don't think
I want to devote the kind of time it would take.

And anymore, that 70.3 is more like (1.2 + 56 + no run) (aquabike or DNF)
Last edited by: CharlesYTri: Sep 1, 18 9:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started out racing sprints and oly distances before moving up to HIM and IM. I realized after my first half and IM I just like them better. The sprints and Oly hurt too much. I’m not a redline kinda guy. Takes me 30km on the bike just to get warmed up and feeling good. But to each their own, that’s what makes the sport great.

https://trigeek1969.blogspot.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People often overlook the shorter races... not sure if it’s peer pressure or the mystique of the Ironman brand, but most of them would probably be better served by getting faster at the sprint and Olympic distances. That’s going to carry over and help them if/when they do decide to go long.

As for me personally, I’ve switched to mostly cycling and usually choose the dumbest option available... like Michigan Coast 2 Coast, 212 miles of gravel across the state in one day! I don’t know if I would recommend that decision making progress for most.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What does "step up" mean, in the context of SSD/SD/OD/70.3/140.6 mean?

Can someone explain this??

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: How do you choose YOUR race distance? [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STep up from a sprint to any Olympic to a half iron man to a full Ironman
Quote Reply
Re: How do you choose YOUR race distance? [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:

Why “step up”? What does this mean/infer? Is slowing down “stepping up”?

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: How do you choose YOUR race distance? [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
RBR wrote:

Why “step up”? What does this mean/infer? Is slowing down “stepping up”?

It’s the peer pressure of not being a real triathlete if you race short course.
Quote Reply

Prev Next