Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chain length question for the gearheads
Quote | Reply
Current 1x gearing is 44 x 11-40. Will same chain length work with 36 x 11-44 or 46?
Quote Reply
Re: Chain length question for the gearheads [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
8 tooth difference is probably a bridge too far. I've gotten away with 2-4 tooth jumps. For 8 I go to a new chain.

You might be OK on the big cogs since you're compensating there, but the 11 might be an issue.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 31, 18 6:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the chain length is ok, but what kind of RD will determine if it will be able to take up the slack in the 11-36 combo, and that's not related to chain length. You need about 53/54 links for 36x44/46 combo.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain length question for the gearheads [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a Shimano XTR RD so cage will be long enough. What I was trying to figure is # of links like you noted, and if swapping bigger front ring for smaller + smaller rear cog for larger, would wash out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
depends on the method used to size the chain originally.

That said, if you are swapping the cassette you should probably swap the chain as well.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're going fro 44 to 36 your chain might be too long, even if you have a 11-44 instead of an 11-40. Do you plan on switching often? If so, it might just be helpful to have two chains. Otherwise, if it is too long, you can shorten your current chain.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain length question for the gearheads [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I know I can go +-4 on rear cog but changing both is what I'm unsure of.

Just a one-time change for ride up Mauna Kea. Will swap back to bigger gearing right after. Simplest might be just to shorten current chain for that and bring along an extra that's correct length for regular gearing.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Aug 31, 18 10:53
Quote Reply